Coach Campbell

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Truly a sad testimony where most poster's reality of life is only about 'money'. How many of you suggesting JP pony up, have actually done the math and ponied up yourselves? We've become such an 'enabled' society where we've lost touch with 'other' things which should matter more. Here's a chance to establish a 'legacy'. 'Those' schools with the big bucks will only put 'another' good coach in a long line of coaches. At Iowa State, he can become an Orr. Here we 'fill' the stadium. Here we have a nucleus of fantastic fans. Here we have an AD of 'proven' growth. This program is on the rise, and if the success continues, has unlimited potential. I'm tired of 'smaller' schools with fewer alumni having 'better' programs. It's OUR time.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Truly a sad testimony where most poster's reality of life is only about 'money'. How many of you suggesting JP pony up, have actually done the math and ponied up yourselves? We've become such an 'enabled' society where we've lost touch with 'other' things which should matter more. Here's a chance to establish a 'legacy'. 'Those' schools with the big bucks will only put 'another' good coach in a long line of coaches. At Iowa State, he can become an Orr. Here we 'fill' the stadium. Here we have a nucleus of fantastic fans. Here we have an AD of 'proven' growth. This program is on the rise, and if the success continues, has unlimited potential. I'm tired of 'smaller' schools with fewer alumni having 'better' programs. It's OUR time.

By smaller schools I assume you mean TCU and Baylor...Yes its sickening and I agree with you re: "I'm Tired"....but here we go again .....Its all about Geography, both TCU & BU are located in a hotbed of high school football talent....Geography has never been kind to ISU and I guess never will....

Beat the squeaky frogs and Go Cyclones

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
If Coach Campbell were to leave at any time for a job that paid more and advanced his career who could blame him? I mean, that's everyone's goal in their career right?

But if there was ever a coach I felt may see this through at least for a while it's Matt Campbell. His character is well documented and backed up by works, not just words. Everything he preaches is about a process and integrity. Not that him leaving would diminish his integrity or character. He just seems like the type of guy that would have a hard time leaving a bunch of recruits he's sold on the idea of being a part of the process at ISU hanging.

His transfer from Pitt (where he started as a freshman) to Division III Mt. Union is tangible representation of who and what he is. When he leaves it will be about more than dollar signs. This I am sure of!

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Let's remember that CMC wanted to coach at Iowa State. He picked this place and we picked him. He knows this is a high major place, with outstanding academic credentials and a fan base that will run through the wall for him, just like we did for Johnny Orr. There are national figures and even Iowans who can't imagine why anyone would want to coach at Iowa State. Many still think we should be a MAC school and relish the day that the Big 12 dies.

The fan base is here, the enrollment is here and fundaising is going gangbusters. Let's enjoy this and show the nation what we have. And oh yes, pay our assistant coaches.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If you make it difficult for assistants to leave[$$$$$$ and other perks], CMC will be here longer in my opinion. Must make him in top 3 in league if they win 8 or 9. 6 or 7 wins at least top half.

Just my opinion. By the way, increase recruiting budget so he and staff can fly anytime and anywhere they want in small private jets. They could put even a better full court press on highly rated recruits.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I don't anticipate him leaving for awhile. Does anyone remember he helped recruit Coach Dresser here? How often does another sports coach do that? I wouldn't be surprised if Campbell sees a huge opportunity for himself at Iowa State. That is, create a legacy and basically own the athletics department of Iowa State if he is extremely successful. For instance, look at Barry Alvarez. I would not be surprised if he looked at Iowa State in this way.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
goonies-time.jpg

Goonies never say die!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you make it difficult for assistants to leave[$$$$$$ and other perks], CMC will be here longer in my opinion. Must make him in top 3 in league if they win 8 or 9. 6 or 7 wins at least top half.

Just my opinion. By the way, increase recruiting budget so he and staff can fly anytime and anywhere they want in small private jets. They could put even a better full court press on highly rated recruits.

We stepped up and got a top 3 venue in the league, I think we'll try to do the same for a coach if CMC can get 8-10 wins in year 2 of a pretty challenging rebuild.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

To move Matt Campbell to the 5th highest coach in the Big 12 would mean 3.3 million per year. It would be extremely out of line for our AD to pay that type of money.

But ultimately this is where Pollard can either put up or shut up. Either we are going to play with the big boys and pay market value to have a Top 25-35 program in the highest revenue generating sport on campus, or we are going to make an offer 2.5 million and insist we did the best we could.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
CMC is a smart guy. JP will reward CMC and staff with decent money. Don’t sell Iowa State short. We offer a great fan base and stability. And also the opportunity to run his own program. Win 8 games plus each season and Campbell will get a statue erected. Go to one of the elite pressure cooker schools and do that you are fired.

Bill Snyder has never left K-State after taking that perennial doormat to a good program. Some coaches are about more than money. IMO Campbell is one of those coaches. Campbell could have gone to other schools when he took the Iowa State job. When you are making millions at a job you love then why would you leave for a place that will fire you on a whim for a bit more money.

This is something I've never quite understood outside of either just being competitive or greed or both.

The pressure at a blue blood sounds awful, alas, for great money but it's not like every single D1 head coaching job doesn't pay great.

Be bowl eligible every year, get an occasional 9-10 win season at Iowa State and you're set for life financially and revered by a fanbase that only wants to enjoy watching the games.

• Agree
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
To move Matt Campbell to the 5th highest coach in the Big 12 would mean 3.3 million per year. It would be extremely out of line for our AD to pay that type of money.

But ultimately this is where Pollard can either put up or shut up. Either we are going to play with the big boys and pay market value to have a Top 25-35 program in the highest revenue generating sport on campus, or we are going to make an offer 2.5 million and insist we did the best we could.

That's the rub, isn't it?

It's easy for me to say "Pay the man his money!" but JP allocates all of ISU's athletics budget every year. Where does the extra money come from? Are ISU fans going to be supportive of reduced support to men's and women's basketball, in order to find the money to increase salary for football coaches? Will ISU fans step up and donate to make up the difference?

When in this situation previously, JP has not mortgaged his other programs. He is counting on Cyclone Nation to go beyond packing JTS and Hilton to provide the financial support that other schools get.

A university this size with this kind of fan support has immense potential. But sometimes it seems like its own fan base doesn't believe it.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu and F5cy

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
One reason why I’m confident CMC won’t dip after this year or next is because when he accepted the job at ISU I remember either he or JP mentioning when they were in discussion about the ISU job, JP hadn’t even brought up “pay” yet. Which, to me, that means CMC isn’t money hungry and actually wants to be at ISU. IMO, I think he’s here until if/when the Ohio State job opens up. But either way I think we do need to pay the man and his staff, specially Heacock. Our defense has looked great this year.

Reactions: ViktorLuzor

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
With this issue, things are a lot different now than 8-9 years ago, and there is one big complicating factor that scares me related to keeping Campbell in the short term.

As I stated in other posts in related threads, we expect to get over $5 million more per year from the Big 12 starting next year from the playoff and other reasons. JP has invested plenty in the non-revenue sports with the gains from the prior 5-7 years. IMO, he needs to spend the new $5 million on football. In addition, with more wins, the days of cheap tickets in Jack Trice will be over both current discount tickets and the price of regular season tickets which will easily increase revenue by several million per year.

JP is working on an expansion the Football facility that CMC has requested related to nutrition and an expanded player lounge. I think this is important for CMC and JP is trying to get it designed so they can try and get it done with contributions and debt.

CMC is going to make $2.5+ million this year with incentives and with the new revenue we should have no trouble giving him a package where he sees a $4-$4.5 million a year salary towards the end of a 5-7 years contract. Getting CMC the facility change he wants will be important to him.

The complicating factor that scares me is we don't know the attitude of the new President towards big salaries in the athletic department, even it is money not directly from the University.

People that think we can't afford to pay a top 5 Big 12 salary for CMC and his assistants are wrong, the issue is will someone come in a pay CMC $ 4+ million now based on his career to date. I don't think so, yet....

• Informative
Reactions: BryceC

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Regarding Nebraska, I think Campbell already has a better shot at winning a conference championship HERE than if he took over Nebraska. I can't see him turning around Nebraska to the extent where they'll beat Wis, PSU, OSU, and Mich all in the same year. Nebraska isn't what it used to be.

If we can pay Campbell, Nebraska isn't a step up for him.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Regarding Nebraska, I think Campbell already has a better shot at winning a conference championship HERE than if he took over Nebraska. I can't see him turning around Nebraska to the extent where they'll beat Wis, PSU, OSU, and Mich all in the same year. Nebraska isn't what it used to be.

If we can pay Campbell, Nebraska isn't a step up for him.

I really like the 10 team BigXII and the opportunity to get to the playoffs vs. other conferences with 14 teams. I think that should be obvious to CMC and if he is here to build a champion this is an opportunity for him.

What would the Nebraska fans do if they tried to hire CMC over Scott Frost? I think some are already scared they will go after Leach instead of Frost.

I'm really happy that tOSU, Michigan, PSU and ND have their coaches.

Help Support Us

Become a patron