Coach Campbell

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
The general, historical rule is that Iowa State is not allowed to have nice things. As long as we keep that in mind, we'll either end up moderately disappointed or ecstatically happy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Regarding Nebraska, I think Campbell already has a better shot at winning a conference championship HERE than if he took over Nebraska. I can't see him turning around Nebraska to the extent where they'll beat Wis, PSU, OSU, and Mich all in the same year. Nebraska isn't what it used to be.

If we can pay Campbell, Nebraska isn't a step up for him.

Its probably a slight step up. I mean if he can do it here, he can do it there (though one might say maybe this program is more built to gain an advantage by doing something a little different in the big 12 than if it were in the big 10). That being said, is it a big enough step up to deal with the situation theyre in, and the expectations they have?

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
5 Tom Herman Texas Big 12 $5,250,000
18 Gary Patterson TCU Big 12 $4,014,723
21 Mike Gundy Oklahoma St Big 12 $3,775,000
30 Kliff Kingsbury Texas Tech Big 12 $3,306,575
35 Bill Snyder Kansas St Big 12 $3,106,000
37 Lincoln Riley Oklahoma Big 12 $3,100,000
39 Dana Holgorsen West Virginia Big 12 $2,980,000
57 Matt Campbell Iowa St Big 12 $2,000,000
88 David Beaty Kansas Big 12 $801,109
127 Matt Rhule Baylor Big 12 N/A

Current pay for Big12 coaches. I think pay him 3 mil a yr, 250k for a bowl (6wins), up that to 500k for 9 wins (never done that in reg season) 750k for 10+ wins, (each tier cancels out the other, not collecting both or all) 1mil for a Big12 championship. puts him anywhere from 7th for sub par season to 3rd for championship.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Just as a side note Ferentz gets paid $4.5 mill plus 2.9 mill in bonuses. ISU needs to do better, I realize it's a gamble after only a year or 2 but you have to pay what the going rate is for a top 25 coach or be happy with mediocre coaches and teams at best. Those Big 12 salaries also have huge bonuses and incentives on top of them.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Truly a sad testimony where most poster's reality of life is only about 'money'. How many of you suggesting JP pony up, have actually done the math and ponied up yourselves? We've become such an 'enabled' society where we've lost touch with 'other' things which should matter more. Here's a chance to establish a 'legacy'. 'Those' schools with the big bucks will only put 'another' good coach in a long line of coaches. At Iowa State, he can become an Orr. Here we 'fill' the stadium. Here we have a nucleus of fantastic fans. Here we have an AD of 'proven' growth. This program is on the rise, and if the success continues, has unlimited potential. I'm tired of 'smaller' schools with fewer alumni having 'better' programs. It's OUR time.
If you can sell that to Matt Campbell, then we’re all set.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I posted this on the Herbstreit thread, but since they are practically the same I'll post it here too.

Why doesn't anyone think we could pay him enough to stay? We absolutely could. If Iowa can pay as much as they do for a Ferentz, we could/should do the same. Also, would a coach want to leave for a 3 year $18 million contract, get fired for not living up to unrealistic expectations, and end up like a Charlie Weiss or stay at a place like ISU with security build up your salary to eventually $5-6 million over 15-20 years? Do the math option 1=$18 million and bad rep, option 2= about $60-75 millionish (depending on how the salary builds), a great reputation with a possible cfb hof induction, a possible field named after you. (I know, this sounds like a second coming of Bill Snyder) Just think, playing on Campbell field at JTS. I'm not saying it will happen, but it has a better chance of happening here than at LSU, Notre Dame, or Tennessee. CMC seems like a guy that is interested in more than just money to me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Current pay for Big12 coaches. I think pay him 3 mil a yr, 250k for a bowl (6wins), up that to 500k for 9 wins (never done that in reg season) 750k for 10+ wins, (each tier cancels out the other, not collecting both or all) 1mil for a Big12 championship. puts him anywhere from 7th for sub par season to 3rd for championship.

I won't tell Pollard what to do, but i think looking at the raw numbers can be misleading sometimes.

Jamie will undoubtedly discuss with Campbell what his feelings are and what he needs to feel satisfied with his position. Its entirely possible he goes the same route as Rhoads if Campbell is happy with it, offering years instead of upfront money. If **** goes downhill later he still gets the same amount after the buyout as if we offered him a shorter yet higher per-year contract, but if **** goes well it is more financially workable (and hopefully would generate the revenue for per-year increases down the road). Hell, he could say 'pay my assistants enough to keep them here'. None of us knows what he really wants, and its up to Jamie to figure that out.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I don't think Campbell is wired the way most people assume he is. I don't think it's all about money for him. I think it's about opportunity. He saw something in Iowa State when he visited here with his Toledo team and thought he could build something here. And if I remember correctly, Campbell said he accepted the job with JP on a handshake without even talking contract or money. It's opportunity that drives him. He has a P5 school where he can completely change the culture and build something his own way with quite a bit of patience from the administration and fans. I doubt he leaves unless it's for another opportunity he sees as better. It won't be money.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think Campbell is wired the way most people assume he is. I don't think it's all about money for him. I think it's about opportunity. He saw something in Iowa State when he visited here with his Toledo team and thought he could build something here. And if I remember correctly, Campbell said he accepted the job with JP on a handshake without even talking contract or money. It's opportunity that drives him. He has a P5 school where he can completely change the culture and build something his own way with quite a bit of patience from the administration and fans. I doubt he leaves unless it's for another opportunity he sees as better. It won't be money.

That could also be a bad thing too if all he wants is opportunity. That's kind of how Fred was. I don't think it mattered how much JP offered to pay him, he wanted that "opportunity" in the NBA. So what if CMC just wants the "opportunity" to coach at a BIG time program?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
That could also be a bad thing too if all he wants is opportunity. That's kind of how Fred was. I don't think it mattered how much JP offered to pay him, he wanted that "opportunity" in the NBA. So what if CMC just wants the "opportunity" to coach at a BIG time program?
Then there is literally nothing we can do. Might as well enjoy the ride right?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

The Cyclones could never play in the NBA. The Cyclones could be built into a bigger program in the NCAA football world.

If coach wants to sign on to the NFL....well....then we wish him the best

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think we also have to consider what it's going to take for Prohm, Fennelly, and Dresser to stay as well.

Everyone complained that JP didn't care enough about wrestling, so he went out and paid what it took to land Dresser, as well as the assistants too. And Prohm has done amazingly well too in coaching by far our most successful program to date, and he'll be needing more money too here eventually.

You can't ever look at anything on an island. I'd say we can't afford to lose Prohm right now either. Dresser and Fennelly I guess wouldn't be as important as those programs don't make money.

It's one of those deals though where football pays almost all the bills, so in order to afford Prohm, we might have to keep CMC because without football doing well we won't have the money to pay everyone else. It's a very tough thing to balance for JP.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I think we also have to consider what it's going to take for Prohm, Fennelly, and Dresser to stay as well.

Everyone complained that JP didn't care enough about wrestling, so he went out and paid what it took to land Dresser, as well as the assistants too. And Prohm has done amazingly well too in coaching by far our most successful program to date, and he'll be needing more money too here eventually.

You can't ever look at anything on an island. I'd say we can't afford to lose Prohm right now either. Dresser and Fennelly I guess wouldn't be as important as those programs don't make money.

It's one of those deals though where football pays almost all the bills, so in order to afford Prohm, we might have to keep CMC because without football doing well we won't have the money to pay everyone else. It's a very tough thing to balance for JP.

When you make almost a $1 million a year, the balancing act is usually very hard!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If you can sell that to Matt Campbell, then we’re all set.

I actually believe that Matt Campbell is sold on that. Yes, pay Campbell and his staff well. I trust JP to come up with a package and incentives for Campbell and his assistants that will be satisfactory to all.

The next 3 weeks will be some tough games.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017

lol tech is really paying Kingsbury that much. He doesn't even have a winning record in 5 seasons

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
His job is to attract and retain top talent that fit the culture. He failed with those 3 associates.

Literally impossible to match what Cael and KJ got, and ISU is not in the NBA. Pollard is deserving of criticism at times but I don't think this is one.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As I stated in other posts in related threads, we expect to get over $5 million more per year from the Big 12 starting next year from the playoff and other reasons. JP has invested plenty in the non-revenue sports with the gains from the prior 5-7 years. IMO, he needs to spend the new $5 million on football. In addition, with more wins, the days of cheap tickets in Jack Trice will be over both current discount tickets and the price of regular season tickets which will easily increase revenue by several million per year.

I didn't think about this good, post. Thanks,

• Friendly
Reactions: Scott34

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
His job is to attract and retain top talent that fit the culture. He failed with those 3 associates.
Failed? The opposite.
In regards to KJ and Cael you don’t break your budget paying associates in non-revenue generating departments. Thank goodness he didn’t overpay for two coaches in sports that don’t make money. We wouldn’t have a chance to retain quality MBB and FB coaches with dumb ass moves like that.

In regards to Fred the pay isn’t the issue when the associate leaves for a position you don’t have at the company.

Last edited: