Kempt is great...but....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Which is NOT something that you can say about Park. Park tries to do too much and makes sill interceptions. Very talanted, but reckless.

He has 21 touchdowns to 10 interceptions in his career. I believe the rule of thumb is any ratio 2 to 1 or better is pretty good. He's completing over 60% of his passes this season and has been hindered by drops too. Combine that with the fact he doesn't fumble I don't know that I would say he plays reckless, especially under Iowa State's standards

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Don't want to blame Kempt, but in general the offensive was not very good against a pretty bad KU defense. Lots of loading the box to stop the run game and horizontal passing. KUs complete ineptitude on offense made the game a laugher, but teams are going to really press everything up and dare ISU to throw in windows across the middle. Maybe Kempt can make those throws, but it is pretty clear he doesn't have the velocity that Park does on his passes. I suspect that Manning will have to find some way to make it work with Kempt, Lanning and Zeb.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He has 21 touchdowns to 10 interceptions in his career. I believe the rule of thumb is any ratio 2 to 1 or better is pretty good. He's completing over 60% of his passes this season and has been hindered by drops too. Combine that with the fact he doesn't fumble I don't know that I would say he plays reckless, especially under Iowa State's standards

There have been drops, but he's also been bailed out by the receivers on poor throws. It's a two way street.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I wouldn't call it reckless but going for the home run ball vs. taking what's there and the high throws are what don't convince me that Park is some sort of offensive savior.

And I'm not saying Kempt is more talented or is going to 'carry' this team anywhere either. He's fit pretty well the last two weeks though and generally makes the safe play. He might actually have more touch to his passes as well which contributes to less drops.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I wouldn't call it reckless but going for the home run ball vs. taking what's there and the high throws are what don't convince me that Park is some sort of offensive savior.

And I'm not saying Kempt is more talented or is going to 'carry' this team anywhere either. He's fit pretty well the last two weeks though and generally makes the safe play. He might actually have more touch to his passes as well which contributes to less drops.

Park is still completing over 60% of his passes so he must throw a pretty good home run ball

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Those are both totally coachable problems. The talent is clearly there, it just needs refining... And there's time to do that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Park is still completing over 60% of his passes so he must throw a pretty good home run ball

He can sling it, no question. Probably the most 'zip' on a ball I've seen out of an ISU QB.

What's he been like when there's lots of blitzing, pocket collapses, dump off is available and it's not Akron?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He can sling it, no question. Probably the most 'zip' on a ball I've seen out of an ISU QB.

What's he been like when there's lots of blitzing, pocket collapses, dump off is available and it's not Akron?

He's been pretty darn good in every game but Texas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Those are both totally coachable problems. The talent is clearly there, it just needs refining... And there's time to do that.

True. We'll see what this 'double-secret medical leave' leads to...some things are very difficult to refine.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Bucklara

Jan 14, 2016
This team is about more than the starting QB. Park has more ability but that isn't the only measuring stick for a QB. It's up to the coaches to blend Lanning into his role at the appropriate times and put Kempt into successful situations.

Sitting behind the ISU bench during the Texas game about 10 rows up it was clear something was going on with Park. When the offense wasn't on the field he sat by himself or paced behind the bench. Frequently a player or coach would approach him and he wasn't receptive to anybody. That's not what you want from a leader. The QB needs to be in the middle of the bench trying to find answers with the coaches and teammates. That game got away when they had chances to grind any ugly win.

This offense has playmakers and the Defense has played above any expectation, IMO. No layups the rest of the way but no game is outta reach.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I feel terrible saying this, but if Park doesn't play this week I really hope Zeb starts. Hes the future once Park is gone and he showed some great flashes against KU. Im so happy and thankful for everything Kyle has done, but I really want Zeb to be getting these backup snaps for the sake of the future.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Don't want to blame Kempt, but in general the offensive was not very good against a pretty bad KU defense. Lots of loading the box to stop the run game and horizontal passing. KUs complete ineptitude on offense made the game a laugher, but teams are going to really press everything up and dare ISU to throw in windows across the middle. Maybe Kempt can make those throws, but it is pretty clear he doesn't have the velocity that Park does on his passes. I suspect that Manning will have to find some way to make it work with Kempt, Lanning and Zeb.
I was at the press conference after the game and cmc said the rain really changed their offensive play calling. They decided to keep everything simple so they could take care of the ball.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I feel terrible saying this, but if Park doesn't play this week I really hope Zeb starts. Hes the future once Park is gone and he showed some great flashes against KU. Im so happy and thankful for everything Kyle has done, but I really want Zeb to be getting these backup snaps for the sake of the future.
I want who ever gives us the best chance to win. At this point with no Park I think Kyle Kempt provides that.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls

We have to play for the right now, not the future.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

IF we win this week, we are playing for the driver's seat at home on homecoming. Park is gone, we should play for THIS YEAR because for once we are in the race still midway through. Quit thinking like an Iowa State fan and think like a winning football fan.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
IF we win this week, we are playing for the driver's seat at home on homecoming. Park is gone, we should play for THIS YEAR because for once we are in the race still midway through. Quit thinking like an Iowa State fan and think like a winning football fan.

I don't know if you've noticed, but no one is falling for your ******** efforts to pretend like you know about the situation. This is line your fifth attempt in this thread now to post vague ****** troll attempts.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone