Kempt is great...but....

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The team has been playing well, including solid performances by Kempt, but we'll need Park to come back to have a good year imo.

When the defense starts to compress the field, not only taking away easy passes but also DM, we'll see how Kempt responds. Also, we've had a lot of good luck in regards to INTs and lack of drops against OU and KU.

Kempt needs reps, but it would have been nice to get Noland more time yesterday.

We’re 4-2 right now. 1 more win would qualify as a “good year” at this point in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We’re 4-2 right now. 1 more win would qualify as a “good year” at this point in the process.
If you mean good enough at this point in the process, perhaps. If in Year 2 we go 5-7 with two close (shouldn't have) losses, that's a decent start.

But overall it's not a good year, and imo we're better than a 5-7 team. That's a credit to how good of work the staff has done in such a short amount of time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you mean good enough at this point in the process, perhaps. If in Year 2 we go 5-7 with two close (shouldn't have) losses, that's a decent start.

But overall it's not a good year, and imo we're better than a 5-7 team. That's a credit to how good of work the staff has done in such a short amount of time.

But according to you, we can't have a good year if Park doesn't return. That's just asinine. You don't believe that we can win a couple more games with Kempt as starter? Or do you not consider going to a bowl game a good year? Which is it? You're giving up on the season if tomorrow we find out Park isn't coming back this year?

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This is not only dumb, but it shouldn't be posted.

You do understand that Park might not be back this year, and who knows if he'll be back next year either? You do understand that, right?

So according to your dumb statement above, if Park doesn't return, that means our season is lost then and won't be any good. I'm guessing CMC and the team doesn't feel that way, thank God.

Why would you even say that anyway? Yeah, there's no way we can win with a QB that beat OU on the road. Whatever.
Guess what: I can say with 100% certainty that Kempt won't be back next year. By your logic, we should be rolling with Noland now as he appears to be the closest thing to a guaranteed returning QB that we have.

Kempt doesn't do anything that Park can't do.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Guess what: I can say with 100% certainty that Kempt won't be back next year. By your logic, we should be rolling with Noland now as he appears to be the closest thing to a guaranteed returning QB that we have.

I have no idea what in the world you are talking about? Everyone knows Kempt is a 5th year senior and won't be back next year.... what does that have to do with ANYTHING I've been talking about?

FinalFourCy said we can't have a good year this year unless Park comes back. I said that was a dumb thing to say. Then I simply said, heck we don't even know if Park will be back this year, or ever again for that matter, so does that mean if we have to go with Kempt the rest of the way, this year is done for?

And I have no idea whatsoever you're even talking about when you ask if we should be rolling with Noland? Where in the world did that come from? Strange.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I dont really get the Kempt hate (I realize its not hate but get over it). The dude is 2-0 as the starter. He has protected the ball and completed passes when he needs to. What more do you want him to do?

Exactly! Kempt is #1 right now and Noland is #2. Park isn't even on the team. This thread is just dumb. People are calling for someone that isn't even on the team to be playing QB.

• Winner
  • Dislike
Reactions: Rural and aauummm

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I dont really get the Kempt hate (I realize its not hate but get over it). The dude is 2-0 as the starter. He has protected the ball and completed passes when he needs to. What more do you want him to do?
I don’t understand it either. I don’t care if Park can throw football 100 MPH. Kempt protected the ball and gave us great chance to win by making good decisions. I don’t care even if Charlie Brown is our QB as long as we win.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmitty

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Anyone else see the play where Kempt looked right at a wide open receiver on third and short, and then threw long to well covered side line. Seemed like a Kempt anomaly.
yes i saw that and i bet it will be covered in their film session. Not everyone makes the correct read every time.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I have no idea what in the world you are talking about? Everyone knows Kempt is a 5th year senior and won't be back next year.... what does that have to do with ANYTHING I've been talking about?

FinalFourCy said we can't have a good year this year unless Park comes back. I said that was a dumb thing to say. Then I simply said, heck we don't even know if Park will be back this year, or ever again for that matter, so does that mean if we have to go with Kempt the rest of the way, this year is done for?

And I have no idea whatsoever you're even talking about when you ask if we should be rolling with Noland? Where in the world did that come from? Strange.
You literally just brought up, which I quoted, how we have no idea if Park will be back this year or next year. If your concerns are about future prospects, Kempt is not your guy. As for right now, Kempt is the guy because Park is unable to play.

I repeat: Kempt doesn't do anything that Park cannot do. I fail to see any fundamental ability that Kempt has over Park, it's just a matter of coaching and strategy. We have no reason to believe that dropping Park into the same offense we've run the last two games would've produced worse results.

Kempt did good at OU, he did what was asked of him, but he wasn't the Heisman QB some people are making him out to be. He ran a simplified system and had a ton of help from our large stack of great skill players making great plays (which is still awesome). I won't pass much judgment for yesterday's game either way due to it being both garbage weather and it being Kansas, who our defense/special teams absolutely destroyed. There is literally nothing he does that Park can't do, and Park is the targeted long-term solution. Dusting him off as useless now to Kempt is what's really asinine here, and it's happening a lot. In this very thread. Such as the whole "Colin Klein" screed.

Park has had one bad game this year. One. If he doesn't come back, sure, we can still have a good year. The ceiling still seems higher with Park around, though, and I'm not sure what points of data or skill anyone can use to defeat that point (especially considering that Kempt has a grand total of two data points on his career). It's hard just by itself to compare Kempt and Park because they've run very different offenses (and, for what it's worth, I personally like the Kempt-style offense better. I just think that he's not a better football player than Park is). As for our prospects this season, I don't know what will happen with great certainty because the Big 12 seems to be a weird conference this year. There's a lot of parity and unpredictability. For the offense specifically, they have 1 bad game, total. Between two QBs. For all we know, they could be fine either way.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You literally just brought up, which I quoted, how we have no idea if Park will be back this year or next year. If your concerns are about future prospects, Kempt is not your guy. As for right now, Kempt is the guy because Park is unable to play.

I repeat: Kempt doesn't do anything that Park cannot do. I fail to see any fundamental ability that Kempt has over Park, it's just a matter of coaching and strategy. We have no reason to believe that dropping Park into the same offense we've run the last two games would've produced worse results.

Kempt did good at OU, he did what was asked of him, but he wasn't the Heisman QB some people are making him out to be. He ran a simplified system and had a ton of help from our large stack of great skill players making great plays (which is still awesome). I won't pass much judgment for yesterday's game either way due to it being both garbage weather and it being Kansas, who our defense/special teams absolutely destroyed. There is literally nothing he does that Park can't do, and Park is the targeted long-term solution. Dusting him off as useless now to Kempt is what's really asinine here, and it's happening a lot. In this very thread. Such as the whole "Colin Klein" screed.

Park has had one bad game this year. One. If he doesn't come back, sure, we can still have a good year. The ceiling still seems higher with Park around, though, and I'm not sure what points of data or skill anyone can use to defeat that point (especially considering that Kempt has a grand total of two data points on his career). It's hard just by itself to compare Kempt and Park because they've run very different offenses (and, for what it's worth, I personally like the Kempt-style offense better. I just think that he's not a better football player than Park is). As for our prospects this season, I don't know what will happen with great certainty because the Big 12 seems to be a weird conference this year. There's a lot of parity and unpredictability. For the offense specifically, they have 1 bad game, total. Between two QBs. For all we know, they could be fine either way.

Sorry, you're still not making sense to me. So by using your logic then, why is OU starting Baker Mayfield this year since he's a senior and won't be the "future".

We're playing Kempt because he gives us the best chance to win right now with who is on our roster. Duh.

Everyone is acting like "well, Park will be playing again when he comes back"...... so I was just saying that we don't know for sure that Park will be back this year.... or even next year for that matter. He has more important things to worry about in his life right now than football. But unlike some on here, I'm not giving up hope on our season because we have a guy playing QB that just beat #3 OU and KU. Nope, not me.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: Rural and CyValley

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Sorry, you're still not making sense to me. So by using your logic then, why is OU starting Baker Mayfield this year since he's a senior and won't be the "future".

We're playing Kempt because he gives us the best chance to win right now with who is on our roster. Duh.

Everyone is acting like "well, Park will be playing again when he comes back"...... so I was just saying that we don't know for sure that Park will be back this year.... or even next year for that matter. He has more important things to worry about in his life right now than football. But unlike some on here, I'm not giving up hope on our season because we have a guy playing QB that just beat #3 OU and KU. Nope, not me.
Mayfield is playing because he's the best QB on their roster. Park is the best QB on our roster, but is unable to play. Yes, that's exactly the point: Park is still fundamentally the better player, so if or when he comes back, it would be logical to play him. I haven't seen any compelling reason to count his career as over, either.

Our team ceiling appears higher with Park, but I'm not writing off the season without him, either.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Kempt got caught in a coaching change at OSU. FWIW Sean Mannion (currently with the LA Rams) was the starter at OSU when he got there. Not fair to say he "wasn't good enough" to start.

I'm with you, it's not fair . . . or accurate.

Just read the earth sports (?) story by ubben. The Kempts are from Oregon, moved to Ohio before Kyle's sophomore year in high school.

* Before the move, Kyle (a h.s. frosh?) was offered a scholarship by Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

* At Massillon, Ohio, Kyle became the all-time passing leader for the school that had won 9 national championships.

* After two years at OSU (Kyle's redshirt frosh season), Riley went to Nebraska and the new coach wanted a different type of quarterback. Kyle didn't start at OSU the same way Zeb Noland (and most all frosh redshirt college quarterbacks) isn't starting now.

* Yeah, JUCO without starting, bummer.

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalcy

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012

I wasn't able to watch the game but I was told that Noland looked pretty good. Yes, it was mop-up time with Kansas, but even so.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I wasn't able to watch the game but I was told that Noland looked pretty good. Yes, it was mop-up time with Kansas, but even so.
Noland did go in during garbage time, but the plays they called with him were aggressive -- not your usual garbage time calls. He went out there and delivered some solid passes, clocking in 90 yards in 5 completions.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017

If ended up 5-7 it'd be a huge disappointment

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
28 days is the ideal, but a person can get through in 21...trust me, I used to be a substance abuse counselor.

Half my family been there..it's 28 days mostly because that's what insurance pays for..depending on the addiction someone can get clean in 4 days..doesn't mean they have beaten their addiction in anyway shape or form..

You don't go from being an adfict to a non addict in 21 days or 28. That's Just a period to get thru withdrawal and start to reset the mind.. the real work is after this period. Depending on how severe, the drug, and length on it..

But I digress

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm and tyler24

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Mayfield is playing because he's the best QB on their roster. Park is the best QB on our roster, but is unable to play. Yes, that's exactly the point: Park is still fundamentally the better player, so if or when he comes back, it would be logical to play him. I haven't seen any compelling reason to count his career as over, either.

Our team ceiling appears higher with Park, but I'm not writing off the season without him, either.

No he's not. He's not on the team.

If, or when, he does return... I don't think he should start right away if we keep winning with Kempt. That's all I'm saying. Don't ruin a good thing.

If Park returns and Kempt is struggling, that's a different story.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron