Iowa State Helmets..worst and best?

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I agree with the ones you rank as the best. The helmet and uniform combination we wore in the Bruce era is the best thing we've ever worn, and while I like the new uniforms, I wish we would have gone back to that classic look. Maybe just update the helmets with the new logo. I saw a photoshopped version of that and it looked pretty good.

The worst were the ones from the Criner and Walden eras because they were ketchup and mustard colored rather than cardinal and gold. The Walden era look I guess wasn't so bad, but the look in the Criner era was just awful. The logo was okay though.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
It is interesting to look at the historical helmets in the Big 12 on that site I attached.

SLCyclone

Apr 4, 2006
I really don't care what the helmets or uniforms look like. I just want to see a quality football program.
Do you suppose Gene Chizik really cares what we wear?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I really don't care what the helmets or uniforms look like. I just want to see a quality football program.

I doubt he cares that much, but he did pick the color of helmets, and wanted two different away unis from what I read. It all makes a statement of the program.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

I doubt he cares that much, but he did pick the color of helmets, and wanted two different away unis from what I read. It all makes a statement of the program.

Supposedly, he also started the initiative to reintroduce more gold into the color scheme (something I applaud him for).

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The worst was the red helmet, as opposed to the gold one, that Cryner gave to the player that had the best game the week before.

Which reminds me of an old joke:

A friend of mine thought that the red helmet was a great idea, but the Clones needed to take it one step further. They should make the player that played the worst the previous game should have to where a black helmet with an ugly yellow parrot on it.

Reactions: ketelmeister

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The worst was the red helmet, as opposed to the gold one, that Cryner gave to the player that had the best game the week before.

Which reminds me of an old joke:

A friend of mine thought that the red helmet was a great idea, but the Clones needed to take it one step further. They should make the player that played the worst the previous game should have to where a black helmet with an ugly yellow parrot on it.

This is my new name for the EIU team.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
This is my new name for the EIU team.
That was bad thinking, made the different colored helmeted players open season targets for the opposing players.

The worst colored helmet was Donnie Duncan's deep wine colored helmets, trying to make us look like Oklahoma color wine, from where he came from. Always hate when some coach tries to change Cardinal Red and GOLD into his current version. I'm a graduate, they are my colors, not HIS. The emblem change I understand, but leave the darn colors alone.

Last edited:

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota

I'm sorry but that is the most over used excuse in the history of Cyclone Fanatic. EVERY single time a topic comes up about jerseys/helmets someone says that. And I mean EVERY time. The thing about it is that even if we won the national championship next year in pink uni's the same people that said they don't care WOULD care just because humans are humans and will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Sorry, rant over.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
I'm sorry but that is the most over used excuse in the history of Cyclone Fanatic. EVERY single time a topic comes up about jerseys/helmets someone says that. And I mean EVERY time. The thing about it is that even if we won the national championship next year in pink uni's the same people that said they don't care WOULD care just because humans are humans and will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Sorry, rant over.

The Minnesota Gophers have introduced six new uniforms for the coming year....something for everyone. If they had five more they could wear a different one for each loss.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
The Minnesota Gophers have introduced six new uniforms for the coming year....something for everyone. If they had five more they could wear a different one for each loss.

huh.jpg