RECRUITING: Khaliel Rodgers flips to UNC

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
No, what he's saying is, a lot of these athletes couldn't make it at ISU or any other college for that matter without all the help tutors do for them. Happens everywhere, not just UNC unfortunately.

If you've watched Last Chance U, you'd understand. We have a lot of athletes at ISU with the same intelligence level as some of those players on Last Chance U. And there is no way they would make it at ISU without help.

That show is awesome. A huge inside look at what these guys are going through. And how good players at the major D1 level have it compared to a JUCO in the middle of nowhere. A lot of those kids come from such poor backgrounds and FB is their only way out. Man, that academic advisor is a freaking saint.

As far as Rodgers goes, I don't know that Knipfel is a clear upgrade for this year, but he's got two more to play and he's already in the 2 deep, so I'd definitely say that ISU came out of that pretty well. Who knows where Knipfel would be if ISU hadn't offered. Maybe still at IWCC graduating in December with a ton of P5 offers.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Do you want a cookie? Does it make one feel more noble since he/she is 'dedicating' more of life to one thing? If one was a business major he/she might know more about some of the opportunity costs that arise from 'dedication' to something. Maybe it's counterproductive. People are different. I, for one, would certainly hate to 'dedicate' myself to engineering.
I mean if you're insinuating that you would be better at statistical analysis than an engineer I would have to laugh in your face. Pick whatever subject you want but don't act like being a student athlete in engineering and business are the same thing. It's not even close.

IbSvU

Feb 6, 2012
I mean if you're insinuating that you would be better at statistical analysis than an engineer I would have to laugh in your face. Pick whatever subject you want but don't act like being a student athlete in engineering and business are the same thing. It's not even close.

Of course, I agree, it's not close at Iowa State University. I don't mean that. No one should act like they are more noble because he/she chose to more fully dedicate themselves to an academic area than someone else because it does not make them inherently better in any way as a person (except as an engineer). Who knows, one dedicating themselves to engineering could potentially be the worst possible thing someone can do. You can gain this desired validity of your exceptional nobility and superior rational thinking through your salary if you wish.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I don't think athletes are any dumber or smarter than the general population. They just get more opportunities to prove it one way or the other than your average, average person.

monkey.jpg What??????????????? Does that mean below average??????

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Economics majors (and stat minors!) would beat them both. LAS is the best. :D

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm so confused!

Khaliel Rodgers
...something
...something
200.webp

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I don't know about that. I'm an engineer who took one Statistics class. Not sure how I used it. I'm pretty sure the grad student who taught it gave everyone B's because he didn't know how to teach or grade.

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One of my favorite exams came from a football player.
Dude didn't want to be the first one turning in his exam, so he pretended to write stuff for about 35 minutes. Then someone turned in their exam, and this guy appeared about 2 seconds behind him.

His essay: "I don't know. I didn't study this ****."
Dude waited 35 minutes to look like he was writing, just to offer that. Oops.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
One of my favorite exams came from a football player.
Dude didn't want to be the first one turning in his exam, so he pretended to write stuff for about 35 minutes. Then someone turned in their exam, and this guy appeared about 2 seconds behind him.

His essay: "I don't know. I didn't study this ****."
Dude waited 35 minutes to look like he was writing, just to offer that. Oops.

A-

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

You did both? Just want to make sure you had the same experience in both so you can accurately compare.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Damn, this thread made me feel bad about having a business degree.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Damn, this thread made me feel bad about having a business degree.

I was in the marching band (in one of the male-dominated section) as a liberal arts major, which was mostly engineering majors -- the total number of "would you like fries with that?" comments over the years was ludicrous. Engineers must be God's gift to something.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I was in the marching band (in one of the male-dominated section) as a liberal arts major, which was mostly engineering majors -- the total number of "would you like fries with that?" comments over the years was ludicrous. Engineers must be God's gift to something.
Couldn't agree more (with the sarcasm) of your last sentence. It always makes me laugh how high and mighty they act since they're an engineer major. And then complain about how hard it is

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Couldn't agree more (with the sarcasm) of your last sentence. It always makes me laugh how high and mighty they act since they're an engineer major. And then complain about how hard it is

Nah, it's pretty easy. They just act like it's hard to try to relate to lesser people.:rolleyes:

L

LincolnWay187

For whatever reason, the engineers love shitting on the college of business..yet that's where they all go when they flunk their engineering classes. I had friends who were engineers that I kicked their asses when we were in the same classes. There is no doubt engineering is more difficult..but to say business is easy is bs. Especially the MIS/accounting/finance stuff. Go crap on the philosophy or education majors...I am sure a structural engineer could just walk into a class on derivatives or bonds/fixed income and pass...

Furthermore, a lot of the engineers lack any human skills or basic knowledge along with their technical skills...good luck with that in the real world...