People of Des Moines Facebook Page

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Last I checked, the criminal punishment for a private citizen committing domestic assault and having shirts that say F You on them wasn't public ridicule based on the way you look. But you know, with how ****** up Iowa has become, maybe that's changed since I lived there.

Last I checked the freedom of speech that allows someone to wear an "f you" shirt is the exact same freedom of speech that allows people to make fun of it. sounds like a bunch of idiots all around but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's my understanding the website is geared toward making fun of how people look, not people doing stupid ****.

There's plenty of doing stupid **** on there.

I lived in DSM 5 years and never saw that level of homelessness or people possibly ****** up on meth.

Meth was around. It was bad, but.....not like that site makes it look

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Last I checked the freedom of speech that allows someone to wear an "f you" shirt is the exact same freedom of speech that allows people to make fun of it. sounds like a bunch of idiots all around but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Is the website making fun of a tshirt or was it making fun of her appearance? Am I confused somewhere? I thought the only reason we know about a tshirt is because a poster here Facebook stalked her and saw one of her friends tagged her in a post with that tshirt?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Is the website making fun of a tshirt or was it making fun of her appearance? Am I confused somewhere? I thought the only reason we know about a tshirt is because a poster here Facebook stalked her and saw one of her friends tagged her in a post with that tshirt?

he moved the goalposts because he can't really defend it otherwise

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
he moved the goalposts because he can't really defend it otherwise
I didn't move the goalposts at all. in fact that was only my second post in the thread. My first said sometimes news stories bring more attention than the subject is worth. my second said freedom of speech applies in this case even if it means people are idiots. So how exactly did I move the goalposts?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I didn't move the goalposts at all. in fact that was only my second post in the thread. My first said sometimes news stories bring more attention than the subject is worth. my second said freedom of speech applies in this case even if it means people are idiots. So how exactly did I move the goalposts?

you said "the freedom of speech that allows someone to wear an "f you" shirt is the exact same freedom of speech that allows people to make fun of it"

One teeny tiny problem with that statement: they weren't making fun of her shirt (they didn't even see a picture with her in that shirt, you'd have to facebook stalk her to find it)

Also, nobody was saying they should be arrested so I guess I don't see how the freedom of speech comes in at all here.

You can't defend what's actually happening so you change the discussion to something you can defend.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Also, nobody was saying they should be arrested so I guess I don't see how the freedom of speech comes in at all here
I think that many would be fine with this. I encourage those that don't like this page to criticize it to see change but I think the outrage is closer to wanting laws than you think. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it seemed to be the basis behind the story.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You'd have to have a pretty pathetic life to take time to start a FB page making fun of others. That said, I have certainly found much entertainment in people watching. It's just that I don't really see the need to take that public.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think that many would be fine with this. I encourage those that don't like this page to criticize it to see change but I think the outrage is closer to wanting laws than you think. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it seemed to be the basis behind the story.
I would prefer that people recognize on their own that it's unkind to post pictures of people without their knowledge and then proceed to mock them, up to and including the advice that she should just kill herself. It's not illegal, but maybe if enough of us band together to say this is NOT acceptable in a civil society, it will reduce the occurence.

Probably not going to happen, but dammit, I'm in granny mode now, and I'm going to make it count!!!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
You'd have to have a pretty pathetic life to take time to start a FB page making fun of others. That said, I have certainly found much entertainment in people watching. It's just that I don't really see the need to take that public.

You people watch in private??

tumblr_ogyov5bfb71rfd7lko1_500.gif

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Making fun of someone is freedom of speech, right or wrong, and has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. Not sure why you even mentioned it in the above post.

I have not been on the page and don't plan on it. my point is someone posting pictures online opens them up to ridicule by others. I may not agree but that's the law. Going in public means others have the legal right to take your picture. I may not agree but again, that's the law.
I believe there are laws against using an image without permission? Isn't that why photographers ask people to sign waivers, and ordinary people have their faces blurred on some reality shows (like Amazing Race)? Not a lawyer, so I don't know.

The picture in question was taken by a person who didn't know her, who posted it on the FB page where people were basically encouraged to mock this anonymous woman. If you want to defend that, that's on you.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Making fun of someone is freedom of speech, right or wrong, and has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. Not sure why you even mentioned it in the above post.

I have not been on the page and don't plan on it. my point is someone posting pictures online opens them up to ridicule by others. I may not agree but that's the law. Going in public means others have the legal right to take your picture. I may not agree but again, that's the law.

You'll have to point out where me saying that it makes you a ****** human being for doing this equated it to me saying it's illegal to do and people should be arrested for it.

My only reference to anything criminal was a response to the guy that stalked her and found out she has a domestic violence case against her, in which I said the legal result of that isn't public ridicule over how she looks. One does not apply to the other. You're really stretching here based on your misunderstanding, mtown.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I believe there are laws against using an image without permission? Isn't that why photographers ask people to sign waivers, and ordinary people have their faces blurred on some reality shows (like Amazing Race)? Not a lawyer, so I don't know.

The picture in question was taken by a person who didn't know her, who posted it on the FB page where people were basically encouraged to mock this anonymous woman. If you want to defend that, that's on you.

I think you only need permission if you're going to make money off of the picture, or something like that. Otherwise, you are not required to ask anyone's permission when taking pictures/video on public property.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Isn't the entire point of this FB page the same reason people go to the fair?

Yeah, I mean that's where I have my own issues on whether the page is out of line. I'm not into making fun of people for things they can't control but look, when you are incredibly obese and are wearing incredibly short shorts with "juicy" on the back and a really small tank top, people might have some thoughts. I haven't checked out that Facebook page so I don't know what type of people the pictures are composed of but there's no doubt some people could take a look in a mirror before they leave the house. Maybe that doesn't make it okay, but that's reality. It's going to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and jkclone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
You guys seem to imply that by supporting the overall legal concept of free speech means I'm supporting all the ways in which that freedom could conceivably be used.
I may have responded to the wrong person. There was an implication that people who think this is a douchey thing to do want to enact laws against it. I believe in free speech. But I'm damn well going to use it to condemn people that support pages like that one. If I pulled you in by mistake I apologize.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I think you only need permission if you're going to make money off of the picture, or something like that. Otherwise, you are not required to ask anyone's permission when taking pictures/video on public property.
I knew there were some details I was missing. Thanks!

Help Support Us

Become a patron