People of Des Moines Facebook Page

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Any of you follow this page at all? It made the news last night: http://www.kcci.com/article/woman-targeted-on-people-of-des-moines-facebook-page-speaks-out/10394811 It's really no different than the People of the Iowa State Fair or People of Wal-Mart types of Facebook pages, it's actually a private group so have to actually choose to join the group to even see any of the content. I by no means condone bullying but it's right there as a disclaimer in the group info that "if you're sensitive go ahead and exit." If anything that news report brought even more attention to the page as it climbed to over 40,000 followers last night which is probably up 3-4k from where it was before yesterday started.

Thoughts on this story? Yes some mean things were said but you can click on about any AP article or public group pages and find just as nasty of comments geared at elected officials, celebrities, or just about anyone who might make a comment on social media. I think in this case she would have been better off just laughing it off and ignoring it than drawing more attention to it by going to the media. People can be rude and inconsiderate on the internet, especially when they don't know you or have any personal connection to you so I guess why subject yourself to more ridicule by escalating it like this and instead just unfollow the group and you wouldn't even know the comments being made by complete strangers who you probably will never meet in person even existed?

There was another post there over the weekend that got a lot of attention too. Someone shared a screenshot of some girl who posted on her FB page a receipt where she basically was showing off how she did not tip her server at Applebee's and put "please add seasoning" in the tip area. Well not only did that girl try to defend herself but the server who got stiffed handled it very well and gave her side of the story how the customer never mentioned anything was wrong while she waited on them so how could she do anything about it and pointed out this happens all the time to her but she checks her emotions at the door when she leaves work because it's just part of the job but apparently this person couldn't do the same. She didn't even have to comment on it but at least she handled it properly by not escalating it and pointing out it didn't bother and she was over it.

I only follow the page for entertainment purposes. I'd never comment or post anything on it because if you follow the page at all you know just about every post generates nearly 1000 comments by the time it dies down.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Interesting and a tempting distraction to look into.

I've learned this year that if you want to read the thoughts of the scum of the earth (scattered here or there with sensible people), then read the comment section under any type of post/article ect.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They said the page is coming down, but it probably won't be long before a replacement pops up.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Any of you follow this page at all? It made the news last night: http://www.kcci.com/article/woman-targeted-on-people-of-des-moines-facebook-page-speaks-out/10394811 It's really no different than the People of the Iowa State Fair or People of Wal-Mart types of Facebook pages, it's actually a private group so have to actually choose to join the group to even see any of the content. I by no means condone bullying but it's right there as a disclaimer in the group info that "if you're sensitive go ahead and exit." If anything that news report brought even more attention to the page as it climbed to over 40,000 followers last night which is probably up 3-4k from where it was before yesterday started.
I only follow the page for entertainment purposes. I'd never comment or post anything on it because if you follow the page at all you know just about every post generates nearly 1000 comments by the time it dies down.
Complete disconnect right there.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Complete disconnect right there.

I can kind of see his point but also the point you're making.

To me its similar to why I watch Big Brother. I hate drama in my real life and avoid dramatic people. However, I love watching drama unfold on Big Brother.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
From what I can tell of this I think some lessons can be learned by everyone. Page administrators should be moderating some posts that go to far. People also need to learn that when you are in public you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy and anyone can take your picture. That means if you don't want pictures of how you look at that time don't go out in public.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I can kind of see his point but also the point you're making.

To me its similar to why I watch Big Brother. I hate drama in my real life and avoid dramatic people. However, I love watching drama unfold on Big Brother.
Precisely why I DON'T watch Big Brother. TBH, sometimes I'm not sure why I watch Survivor, other than I get a kick out of the challenges they have..

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
From what I can tell of this I think some lessons can be learned by everyone. Page administrators should be moderating some posts that go to far. People also need to learn that when you are in public you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy and anyone can take your picture. That means if you don't want pictures of how you look at that time don't go out in public.
You're kidding, right? Is that who we are now?

Reactions: bos

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Precisely why I DON'T watch Big Brother. TBH, sometimes I'm not sure why I watch Survivor, other than I get a kick out of the challenges they have..

Haha yeah I honestly like BB mostly for the challenges/strategy but sometimes a good fight is entertaining. Except when it drags on and all you hear is people interrupting with shouting matches.

back to the fbook page, I bet 98% of the people who make mean commenst wouldn't dare say that to people's faces.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If you don't want raped, don't wear slutty clothing KC.

I'll assume you're being facetious.

However, its an interesting topic of discussion (not that I am trying to reduce something as serious as rape). A woman should be allowed to wear what she wants and not increase the chance of her being victimized. There is never an okay time or excuse to violate her. However, reality has shown us that sometimes by dressing or acting a certain way, it has increased the chances of something like that happening. It's not right and I don't believe we should victim blame her, but I think we can all agree there have been examples where this has happened.

If I put my daughters in the situation, I would hope they just think through their decisions as to what they say, wear, and do when they get older. I also hope they feel free to express themselves how they wish.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
That is the law though. Is it kind no absolutely not. Is there anything that can be done no. Is there anything that should be done no probably not because that would be pretty authoritarian if you ask me.

You're right that I can't really stop you from being a d-bag other than me calling you a d-bag and if enough people do that then maybe you'll change your behavior.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They said the page is coming down, but it probably won't be long before a replacement pops up.

That was a joke post, hard to find it amongst the comments but the admin that posted it later commented it was a joke and they were not planning to shut the page down.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
These websites are nothing but cruelty towards others strictly for the purpose of others to laugh at them to make them feel better about their sad lives. The type of people that frequent and enjoy these things are pathetic human beings and really need to look deep inside themselves to figure out why they are the way they are.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You're right that I can't really stop you from being a d-bag other than me calling you a d-bag and if enough people do that then maybe you'll change your behavior.
I don't subscribe to the page. I don't have a real interest in making fun of people for how they look. With that said I don't feel overly sympathetic when people complain about people making fun of them for easy choices they made. If you really want to have your hair like she did then own it. Say damn right I have pink braided hair. The making fun of her weight though is over the line IMO, because that isn't really a choice.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
One other twist of irony with this story, someone looked her up on the Iowa Courts Online system and she has a current pending case where she is the defendant charged with Domestic Abuse Assault. Maybe KCCI should have done some better research on her too, some of the things posted on her Facebook page aren't exactly too civilized either as she has some post on the F word and another post tagging her to buy her a shirt that on the back has a hand with the middle finger and "F you!" so not exactly an angel herself it would appear.

Obviously don't know all the details of that case but if she did commit assault on someone isn't she kind of like the pot calling the kettle black with the bullying claims?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm