People of Des Moines Facebook Page

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You'll have to point out where me saying that it makes you a ****** human being for doing this equated it to me saying it's illegal to do and people should be arrested for it.

My only reference to anything criminal was a response to the guy that stalked her and found out she has a domestic violence case against her, in which I said the legal result of that isn't public ridicule over how she looks. One does not apply to the other. You're really stretching here based on your misunderstanding, mtown.

If this is in reference to what I said earlier - first off someone on the FB page in the comments mentioned her assault charge which is how I even knew about that so I did a simple search on the Iowa Courts Online website which is public record to see if the claim was even true. https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm You can look up anyone on that site with a first and last name, there is nothing illegal about searching public records nor do I consider that stalking. I've used that site many times while researching people in the news or someone I have suspicions/concerns about to see what kind of legal problems they may of had because you'd be surprised what you may find and even find a pattern to some people's behavior. Do you consider checking the sex offender registry stalking too? Sites like those exist so the general public has access to public records that may have relevance. Another thing is if you set your FB page to public then that is fair game for anyone to search and look to see what kind of content you have as you are willingly publishing it at that point. That can easily be prevented/avoided by not only changing your privacy settings but also using some common sense on the type of content you post on your social media as there are all kinds of way that stuff can come back to bite you when it comes to people who do research on you such as employers or the media. I haven't seen it in the hundreds/thousands of comments on this story but several people said that there is a screenshot of her commenting on a post on that FB page awhile back saying the person looked like a pedophile which if that is true then she too contributed to the culture on that page in the same way she is saying was done to her.

You can look it up yourself, the charge they have listed for her on Iowa Courts Online is: DOMESTIC ABUSE ASSAULT- INJURY OR MENTAL ILLNESS - 1ST OFF and it has a record of all the filings in the case up to this point. I think it does hold relevance to her bully victim claim as domestic abuse assault could be considered a form of bullying as well. As an example: if some kid at school or just any person in general was being pushed around, hit, or something done to them physically against their will for no good reason at all other than to pick on them isn't that a form of bullying? I sure would call it that. I am not in disagreement that what has been said about or to her on that page is a form of bullying because it is. My point has been it sure would seem like she is not entirely innocent when it comes to not only how she treats others but how she acts in general and how she has reacted to what happened as well.

Since coming across that FB page I've found myself thinking "man I hope someone doesn't see me in a bad spot some day and post a photo of it" as I've probably made a run to the store or been outside in some strange combination of clothes or doing something that looked odd. If that were to ever happen I think I would just laugh it off and ignore whatever someone I probably will never have face to face interaction would say as it's just not important to me what some complete stranger that I have no ties to thinks or says on the internet.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Making fun of someone is freedom of speech, right or wrong, and has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. Not sure why you even mentioned it in the above post.

I have not been on the page and don't plan on it. my point is someone posting pictures online opens them up to ridicule by others. I may not agree but that's the law. Going in public means others have the legal right to take your picture. I may not agree but again, that's the law.

Freedom of speech has everything to do with the government/criminal justice system. I'm pretty sure you know that the entire concept of "freedom of speech" only applies to the government. You have zero freedom of speech when it comes to your employer, your fellow citizens, or other private institutions.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If this is in reference to what I said earlier - first off someone on the FB page in the comments mentioned her assault charge which is how I even knew about that so I did a simple search on the Iowa Courts Online website which is public record to see if the claim was even true. https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm You can look up anyone on that site with a first and last name, there is nothing illegal about searching public records nor do I consider that stalking. I've used that site many times while researching people in the news or someone I have suspicions/concerns about to see what kind of legal problems they may of had because you'd be surprised what you may find and even find a pattern to some people's behavior. Do you consider checking the sex offender registry stalking too? Sites like those exist so the general public has access to public records that may have relevance. Another thing is if you set your FB page to public then that is fair game for anyone to search and look to see what kind of content you have as you are willingly publishing it at that point. That can easily be prevented/avoided by not only changing your privacy settings but also using some common sense on the type of content you post on your social media as there are all kinds of way that stuff can come back to bite you when it comes to people who do research on you such as employers or the media. I haven't seen it in the hundreds/thousands of comments on this story but several people said that there is a screenshot of her commenting on a post on that FB page awhile back saying the person looked like a pedophile which if that is true then she too contributed to the culture on that page in the same way she is saying was done to her.

You can look it up yourself, the charge they have listed for her on Iowa Courts Online is: DOMESTIC ABUSE ASSAULT- INJURY OR MENTAL ILLNESS - 1ST OFF and it has a record of all the filings in the case up to this point. I think it does hold relevance to her bully victim claim as domestic abuse assault could be considered a form of bullying as well. As an example: if some kid at school or just any person in general was being pushed around, hit, or something done to them physically against their will for no good reason at all other than to pick on them isn't that a form of bullying? I sure would call it that. I am not in disagreement that what has been said about or to her on that page is a form of bullying because it is. My point has been it sure would seem like she is not entirely innocent when it comes to not only how she treats others but how she acts in general and how she has reacted to what happened as well.

Since coming across that FB page I've found myself thinking "man I hope someone doesn't see me in a bad spot some day and post a photo of it" as I've probably made a run to the store or been outside in some strange combination of clothes or doing something that looked odd. If that were to ever happen I think I would just laugh it off and ignore whatever someone I probably will never have face to face interaction would say as it's just not important to me what some complete stranger that I have no ties to thinks or says on the internet.
There's no way I'm going to read all that, if you feel fine with it because you think the people that are getting made fun of are bad people then go for it. Seems like a lot of work you're doing to justify it though.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

You just spent a lot of typing arguing a weak straw man. No one is saying any information was obtained about her from non-legal ways. Do you guys even know what the **** you're talking about?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
There's no way I'm going to read all that, if you feel fine with it because you think the people that are getting made fun of are bad people then go for it. Seems like a lot of work you're doing to justify it though.

I think his argument is that all of that information was available online. What that has to do with the debate on hand is beyond me though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

That's fine but by doing that don't start making assumptions or twisting other's words in your replies if you aren't reading everything first. I'm not implying they are bad people - my point is careful what you wish for because there are 2 sides to every story and sometimes people have skeletons in their own closets too. She is saying she is being bullied yet there is evidence that she may have participated by making comments on that site herself or possibly bullied someone else with the charge she is currently facing. I've said it several times now, she would have been better off not going to the media about this and just letting it die down than escalating it like she did which has made it even worse and exposed her own questionable behavior in the process and drawn thousands more that have joined that page since this story came out.

When it comes to social media and message boards people really need to get thicker skin sometimes. There are a lot more important things in life to be concerned about than getting too worked up over what some strangers who don't even know you are posting about on social media. Just say to hell with them and move on.

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
you said "the freedom of speech that allows someone to wear an "f you" shirt is the exact same freedom of speech that allows people to make fun of it"

One teeny tiny problem with that statement: they weren't making fun of her shirt (they didn't even see a picture with her in that shirt, you'd have to facebook stalk her to find it)

Also, nobody was saying they should be arrested so I guess I don't see how the freedom of speech comes in at all here.

You can't defend what's actually happening so you change the discussion to something you can defend.

Are you....her?

• Creative
Reactions: CYdTracked

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That's fine but by doing that don't start making assumptions or twisting other's words in your replies if you aren't reading everything first. I'm not implying they are bad people - my point is careful what you wish for because there are 2 sides to every story and sometimes people have skeletons in their own closets too. She is saying she is being bullied yet there is evidence that she may have participated by making comments on that site herself or possibly bullied someone else with the charge she is currently facing. I've said it several times now, she would have been better off not going to the media about this and just letting it die down than escalating it like she did which has made it even worse and exposed her own questionable behavior in the process and drawn thousands more that have joined that page since this story came out.

When it comes to social media and message boards people really need to get thicker skin sometimes. There are a lot more important things in life to be concerned about than getting too worked up over what some strangers who don't even know you are posting about on social media. Just say to hell with them and move on.
I must have missed the part where she originally asked someone to take a picture of her and post it on that page...

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

The bullied has become the bully.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I must have missed the part where she originally asked someone to take a picture of her and post it on that page...

Question for you, are you for/against traffic cameras? Are you against security camera surveillance in public places or private businesses? You are being photographed/video taken of daily just about every place you go. Yes I know in those examples they don't go and post those photos on Facebook but they are still taking pictures of you without your permission. How about the tabloids who are constantly following celebrities and people of interest around and secretly taking photos of them for their publications to turn a profit? What about all the videos posted on YouTube of people who probably are unaware that are out there? In a day of age when just about everyone has a camera on their cell phone and access to the internet you can't assume that someone won't take a picture of something and possibly share it.

I'm just trying to debate all sides of this issue here. I'm not applauding those people for posting it and mocking her but if you believe in a free speech society they technically have done nothing illegal even if it was rude and inconsiderate.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Umm......

75% Swine Show
10% Stockman's Inn
5% Free Concerts
5% Iowa Craft Beer Tent
5% Eastsider's Night
I was going to say...
50% exhibits, stock shows & stock barns...I love looking at the critters
30% free concerts
20% food (turkey leg and those potato thingies, and we always go home with a big bag of saltwater taffy)

Reactions: CYdTracked

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Question for you, are you for/against traffic cameras? Are you against security camera surveillance in public places or private businesses? You are being photographed/video taken of daily just about every place you go. Yes I know in those examples they don't go and post those photos on Facebook but they are still taking pictures of you without your permission. How about the tabloids who are constantly following celebrities and people of interest around and secretly taking photos of them for their publications to turn a profit? What about all the videos posted on YouTube of people who probably are unaware that are out there? In a day of age when just about everyone has a camera on their cell phone and access to the internet you can't assume that someone won't take a picture of something and possibly share it.

I'm just trying to debate all sides of this issue here. I'm not applauding those people for posting it and mocking her but if you believe in a free speech society they technically have done nothing illegal even if it was rude and inconsiderate.
I don't like security cameras but I understand their purpose. And they are not being uploaded to the entire world. If someone posts a video of themselves, that's on them. IMO Papparazzi are the bottom-feeders of the media world, but they would be out of business if people quit buying their stuff. You're right, I can't guarantee there aren't pictures of me out there taken without my knowledge and/or posted without my consent, and if I found myself on a site like that, damn right I'd be pissed.

I'm not demanding that they be shut down, but I do condemn their actions, and the salacious enjoyment they get from their posts. But instead of wasting so much bandwidth defending their right to be ********, why not just recognize that page has one purpose only, to make fun of people who never asked to have their pictures taken or posted?

Reactions: oldman

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

You honestly think traffic cameras and surveillance cameras are a side of the "is it ****** to partake a forum to make fun of strangers" issue?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
To sum it up, these people did nothing illegal, but they are a still a bunch of a-holes, correct? I mean, taking someone's picture without their permission and posting it online for thousands of people to make fun of them, while legal, still qualifies them for being a grade A ******* in my book. If these same people congregated in a mall or a park and loudly belittled people about their appearance and laughed at them, they would be a-holes.

As far as trying to justify the attacks on this woman based on her actions, that seems like a completely different argument altogether. The photographed people are being judged solely on appearance, not their actions.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Yeah, I mean that's where I have my own issues on whether the page is out of line. I'm not into making fun of people for things they can't control but look, when you are incredibly obese and are wearing incredibly short shorts with "juicy" on the back and a really small tank top, people might have some thoughts. I haven't checked out that Facebook page so I don't know what type of people the pictures are composed of but there's no doubt some people could take a look in a mirror before they leave the house. Maybe that doesn't make it okay, but that's reality. It's going to happen.
I'd say one difference is the public nature/size of the group. It's one thing if a small group of my friends and I discuss it in private versus a large public Facebook page.

Another thing for me is whether you try to justify it. My friends and I are going to the state fair for several reasons including people watching. However, I completely understand that I'm being a **** when I do so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron