NOTEBOOK: Battle for backup QB job heats up as fall camp starts

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tough time of year...excitement of football season, still a month away, and there's always the kool-aid drinking that provides the perfect set up for, well, ISU football.

Still excited though. Hopefully that's still there by October.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm very interested to see if Devon Moore is ready compete for the backup QB (and whether he really needs to redshirt to learn the playbook)?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think a lot of these battles are coach-speak to keep the kids competitive, I imagine with Zeb's injury last year and potentially still recovering, Kempt is the leader. If it works I don't fault anyone....

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Don't listen to the coaches in the media. They say almost nothing. Just wait for the final depth chart. Moore will red-shirt. We have 3 able bodies ahead of him. He would have to be Johnny Football to see the field.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Don't listen to the coaches in the media. They say almost nothing. Just wait for the final depth chart. Moore will red-shirt. We have 3 able bodies ahead of him. He would have to be Johnny Football to see the field.

Hey, even Johnny Football redshirted

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hey, even Johnny Football redshirted

There are probably more recent examples of a true freshman starting or even taking snaps for a P5 school, but the last one I can recall is Christian Hackenberg at Penn State. It just doesn't happen very often. And it shouldn't. The guys who have been in the program for a year should virtually always be a better option than the guy who just arrived on campus.

Reactions: heitclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
There are probably more recent examples of a true freshman starting or even taking snaps for a P5 school, but the last one I can recall is Christian Hackenberg at Penn State. It just doesn't happen very often. And it shouldn't. The guys who have been in the program for a year should virtually always be a better option than the guy who just arrived on campus.

Jalen Hurts last year.

Reactions: jbindm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Still, I look forward to hearing some more from reporters who got to see Moore at practice. I expect him to redshirt, but I am interested in how good he is. Could he play this year if we needed him?

Help Support Us

Become a patron