NOTEBOOK: Battle for backup QB job heats up as fall camp starts

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Really glad that Zeb is a Cyclone, but it's hard not to root for Kempt; he's a senior and transferred here without a scholarship. Would be nice if he could at least see the field. But if Zeb is better, then that is actually better for us on a long-term basis. So that is logically the one for whom we should be pulling. I'm sure the coaches will ignore any emotional basis and will simply play whoever gives them the best chance to win. Certainly good to have two good options and a staff that has brought these quality players to us.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Zeb would have to run away with the competition to get snaps first IMO. Park goes down to injury, who you putting in? The loyal veteran RS senior who grey shirted? Or the Frosh who is still coming back from major reconstructive surgery?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Zeb would have to run away with the competition to get snaps first IMO. Park goes down to injury, who you putting in? The loyal veteran RS senior who grey shirted? Or the Frosh who is still coming back from major reconstructive surgery?

Depends on record, time of the year, and difference between them.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
QB's redshirt in college football plain and simple. If they don't, he's either that special of a player, or your team is just that bad(at least at that position, but also most likely overall).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Still, I look forward to hearing some more from reporters who got to see Moore at practice. I expect him to redshirt, but I am interested in how good he is. Could he play this year if we needed him?

No. Moore was something like 3-11 with 1 INT and no TD's in last Saturday's Shrine Game. I know that's just one game, and it's an all star game, but I've seen him play several times this past year for Waterloo West too, and he's far from ready.

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
I'm just happy this is the backup that's up for grabs. It seems rare that we go into a season without a QB competition for the starter.
It goes back to good recruiting. In the past, we have continually only had 2 good players, and then a significant drop off in talent. With a true 3(potentially 4) deep, we can actually have competition between non-starters.