Ray Kasongo transferring

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
As somebody who does not know much about Nebraska basketball and is only judging things based on looking over the stat lines of the two here...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/2017.html

Can anybody tell me why Morrow is regarded better than Jacobson?

Jacobson is a little bigger. Morrow scores at a higher volume, but they are about equal on scoring efficiency. Neither of them seems to have an outside shot. If Morrow chose Marquette because he wants to play the 3, well, he better be putting some shots up.

Both of them track more towards that "brawling post" role of Hogue's junior year.

Both progressed about the same amount from Year 1 to Year 2. Both are sit one, play two.

Jacobson is a better rebounder, Morrow blocks more shots and generates more steals, but he also turns the ball over more and has a lower assist rate. I would assume that means that Jacobson is just more careful with the ball or a better low-post passer.

An underrated skill, as well -- Jacobson stays healthy. Health is a skill in sports. The best race car in the world is useless if it is always in the shop. I know injuries might have held Morrow back the past few years, but you have to discount him based on that risk of him not being right, even if a redshirt year to get 100% right and be ready to go would be ideal for him.

Anybody want to help me out there?

The two look pretty similar to me, almost like a pair of Pokémon who were the better players on a bad squad, one oriented more towards defense (J) and one towards offense (M).

I think the biggest thing is that the coaches were really impressed with Morrow in the "secret" scrimmage they had with Nebraska last fall.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think the biggest thing is that the coaches were really impressed with Morrow in the "secret" scrimmage they had with Nebraska last fall.

Yes, but during that scrimmage we now know that Jacobson was the better 'kept secret' player that we could use. : )

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For the record...

Not saying that I think the general consensus that Morrow was the higher priority was wrong or anything. Coaches tend to be right about such things.

But looking over the numbers, like I said, I do not see much a gulf.

Can somebody explain it like I am 5, to borrow the Reddit conception?

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just a total wild guess, and absolutely no inside info, but maybe Brandon Goodwin of Florida Gulf Coast will be able to graduate and wants to play at a higher level? He's a redshirt junior guard, previously transferred from UCF after a run-in with the law, and declared for the draft w/o an agent. Averaged 18.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.1 apg last year with 35% 3 point shooting. He's originally from the Atlanta area, so Coach Small probably knows his AAU coach.

Goodwin was offered by Murray out of High School he may even know Prohm.

• Useful
Reactions: WalkingCY and DrT

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
For the record...

Not saying that I think the general consensus that Morrow was the higher priority was wrong or anything. Coaches tend to be right about such things.

But looking over the numbers, like I said, I do not see much a gulf.

Can somebody explain it like I am 5, to borrow the Reddit conception?

I have to agree mostly what you've said about Jacobson. I know that probably goes against the grain and logic of CF. I always wanted this guy to come here. ISU seems to always be hunting for that grand slam. Obviously, that doesn't work many times with the competitiveness of the transfer market. That being said I like Morrow but didn't really understand the extra buzz most had for that guy. If we are going to get transfers I prefer a sit out get two guy like Jacobson. Why? Because he WANTED to be here, is talented, intelligent, and seems to always be positively thinking of the team first. I think he would be a great addition to Lard and Young. With his experience, he's played on the big stage, understands the game, and most importantly would provide great rebounding and a threat to open the outside game for our guards.

• Agree
Reactions: DrT

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yes I think it is. Some are in denial.

I don't think it's denial. It's just that their efficiency numbers are similar and nobody here or anywhere watches Nebrasketball to see any differences between the players.

It's obvious Morrow was their first choice, but it's not as obvious who is the more productive player. Personally, I think Morrow plays stronger and is a better finisher in the lane than Jacobsen and that's why he was preferred.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Jacobson + Young + Shayok + Lard for 2018. Great frontcourt base to build upon. Rim protectors. We'll have plenty of schollys to open up next year to go after some young home run hitters. I'd like to see one more with experience as insurance.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
It's been reported frequently that Ray wasn't a B12 caliber player. Somebody either made sure he knew that or he figured it out himself.

True - I wonder if he was afraid of having to COMPETE for a genuine role on the team as opposed to thinking he deserved to inherit a starting role? One thing about Jacobsen is that he does NOT appear to shy away from competition!

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I don't think it's denial. It's just that their efficiency numbers are similar and nobody here or anywhere watches Nebrasketball to see any differences between the players.

It's obvious Morrow was their first choice, but it's not as obvious who is the more productive player. Personally, I think Morrow plays stronger and is a better finisher in the lane than Jacobsen and that's why he was preferred.
Maybe we already have a Morrow in Cameron Lard or Terrance Lewis which may be one of the reasons he chose not to got to ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron