Just a general question about President Leath

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I only had President G for a semester. However, when we went sledding on the small hill outside the Presdent's House across from BWR, President G's wife brought out warm cookies and hot cocoa. Not even a month later Leath's wife basically told us to get off her lawn a million times.

Also when I met President G at a basketball game, he seemed way less stuck up than Leath. Add that to the VEISHA not too long after and then Bubu and then this plane thing...

Good riddance

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
from CR Gazette:

“So during our discussions,” Pollard said, “I said to Fred ‘OK, so if you leave, who’s out there that I ought to be thinking about?’ The first person out of his mouth was Steve Prohm.

“The reason was ‘He runs everything that I run, he’s a man of character, he will fit your style.’ ”

Case closed? It was more like the case for Prohm had simply been opened.

“That didn’t mean Steve Prohm was getting the job,” said Pollard. “I did not meet Steve Prohm until Sunday morning for the first time.

“I knew about Murray State being good, but I did not know Steve Prohm.”

Prohm was placed on a list of 20 coaches Pollard submitted to Parker Executive Search in Atlanta. The list was pared to seven, all of whom flew to Atlanta for 90-minute interviews. Two were Saturday night, the other five Sunday.

When that process was over, Pollard and Iowa State President Dr. Steven Leath didn’t feel the need to pick finalists for another round of interviews. They decided on Prohm, and Pollard flew to Kentucky to finalize the deal on Monday.

This is a sidebar but have all 7 interviewees been named? I know of Underwood, Drew, TJ, and Prohm. Anyone know the other 3?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
First I've heard of any expulsions, and I say that in all honesty. It doesn't change my opinion, however, because I see VEISHA from the point of view of the departmental displays and the food booths that raise money for clubs to travel to meetings or competitions, or bring in speakers. I saw a lot of hard work get negated because some students insist that VEISHA is synonymous with Bacchanalian excess. That was what needed to be addressed, and it wasn't solved by cancelling the daytime events.

You shouldn't have heard of any expulsions if students have any privacy rights.

I've always just looked at Leath as another guy in the job, not a real big deal either way. Never had a single conversation about him on campus, but definitely witnessed a whole lot of celebration for his departure.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I've always just looked at Leath as another guy in the job, not a real big deal either way. Never had a single conversation about him on campus, but definitely witnessed a whole lot of celebration for his departure.

Yep, this was just a kid telling my son at a movie theater.

He was also arrested. Not sure what the court outcome was, several were arrested. But there was some punishment of those who rioted. I think some were suspended too. Obviously David Irving was punished too.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

There were reports of expulsions in the 2004 or 5 iteration...the one that made VEISHEA dry for a couple of years. I don't recall if they named names, but it seems there were a handful. I just don't remember hearing about any expulsions this last time.

Found an article about the past expulsions:
http://wcfcourier.com/news/breaking...cle_71f4198e-3197-53be-adcf-5125beb6d305.html

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Greg Marshall I thought was a candidate

I hadn't heard Marshall. I know LeVelle Moton from NC Central got an interview. Underwood, Drew, TJ, Prohm, Moton, Marshall. That's 6. Any idea who else? Always interested in knowing who's out there - if Prohm beat out some of those names, that's pretty impressive in hindsight.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yep, this was just a kid telling my son at a movie theater.

He was also arrested. Not sure what the court outcome was, several were arrested. But there was some punishment of those who rioted. I think some were suspended too. Obviously David Irving was punished too.
Maybe I should clarify what I meant about them punishing the wrong people.

Stopping the daytime events only punished the kids who put in all the work. Of course, there could have been some overlap in the two groups, but stopping VEISHEA had no effect on the kids who were rioting. Arresting them, prosecuting them, fining them, suspending or expelling them, yes. Shutting down VEISHEA...not so much. Students still get drunk and rowdy in campustown.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
Disagree with this 1000000000000000000%.

ISU needs to strive to get bigger and stay the largest institution in Iowa. And the standards are fine and haven't been lowered (as proven earlier in a different thread).
Have you been on campus lately? To say its overcrowded would be an understatement. Student housing is a complete cluster, finding a place to study at the library during the day is near impossible, and I rarely attempt to go to the recreation centers anytime before 10pm because of how busy they are.

But yeah, go ahead and expand enrollment further so people can have a pissing match about which state school is the biggest.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Have you been on campus lately? To say its overcrowded would be an understatement. Student housing is a complete cluster, finding a place to study at the library during the day is near impossible, and I rarely attempt to go to the recreation centers anytime before 10pm because of how busy they are.

But yeah, go ahead and expand enrollment further so people can have a pissing match about which state school is the biggest.

Agree. ISU enrollment has maxed out the space available, and then some. Glad I got out when I did (2011). My younger siblings who have been in school since then have had to deal with these issues. I'd be fine if enrollment ended up dropping off just a bit, maybe in the 32-34k range. If that takes raising admission standards, go for it. I love being the biggest university in the state, and I think that's probably going to stay the case regardless. We don't need to make life on campus impossible for the students & faculty just to get a certain number that makes us all smile.

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
I've had multiple people tell me that there are others at the ISU Foundation that are much more responsible for the increase in fundraising than Leath is.

That's the role of the Foundation. They have dozens of development officers who beat pavement to raise funds. Depending on the prospect, they may visit with Leath and he will formally ask for support.

The $100 million gift likely wouldn't happen without Leath. Support of that size requires faith in leadership.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I hadn't heard Marshall. I know LeVelle Moton from NC Central got an interview. Underwood, Drew, TJ, Prohm, Moton, Marshall. That's 6. Any idea who else? Always interested in knowing who's out there - if Prohm beat out some of those names, that's pretty impressive in hindsight.

The other names I heard were Mark Few and Hornacek but I didn't believe those as much.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
Agree. ISU enrollment has maxed out the space available, and then some. Glad I got out when I did (2011). My younger siblings who have been in school since then have had to deal with these issues. I'd be fine if enrollment ended up dropping off just a bit, maybe in the 32-34k range. If that takes raising admission standards, go for it. I love being the biggest university in the state, and I think that's probably going to stay the case regardless. We don't need to make life on campus impossible for the students & faculty just to get a certain number that makes us all smile.
Well said. I'm not going to act like the increase in student enrollment the past decade hasn't had it's positives, but 36k students with the current space on campus is too much.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There will be no disaster - it will be an improvement. If Provost Wickert applies, and it's a 99% chance that he will, he will get the job. He is an avid Cyclone sports fan, goes to football, basketball, and volleyball games, and is fully aware of the importance of athletics on a university, particularly in fundraising.
I'm with you here, it just seems for some reason Universities like to get people outside rather than from within.
I think from athletics perspective, Leath did a fine job. Fundraising has been fine, but that seemed to be humming along prior to Leath.
In addition to things that have been covered already, I'd highlight some other issues:
- Forcing out Warren Madden and replacing him with two VPs, one of whom his buddy he brought with him from NC with no search or even advertising the position

- rather than capitalize on strengths at ISU he put money toward research topics that MIT and Berkeley have huge head starts in like translational health and thinks we are going to start beating them out for fed or private research dollars. Money down a rathole.

- supposedly his wife spearheaded a huge Noll landscaping project to the tune of a few hundred k including approving plans then demanding they get redone after being in place.

- shelled out over $1M in severance to two Foundation presidents. People there liked Saftig and thought he did a good job. People I know there said he got canned because Leath and his wife did not feel they got the respect they deserve from him.

It's a bunch of things that in isolation wouldn't be a killer, but there are too many instances of bad judgement and wasting money

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I had a senior last year and a freshman this year. They haven't complained about rec space or library space, but have more issues with class scheduling in order to graduate in a timely manner. They both are in engineering and at least the older one spent more time in labs in Howe and Hoover than the library anyway. I think there were plans to improve rec space by building another rec center out by Towers? Not sure if budget cuts impacted that. They both have worked for Rec Services. The class scheduling is a killer though as far as getting into stuff when you need to; they both entered with a lot of dual enrollment and AP classes so they got to register a little earlier than some others.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I hope our next president is athletically like-minded. Leath did great things for ISU athletics. I think it was during his opening press conference that he talked about not making any excuses anymore as to why ISU couldn't be elite athletically. During his tenure here I think he more than upheld that sentiment. I'll tell you one thing: we could have done a whole lot worse.
I think he allowed JP to do his job. Geoffrey was much ,ore kind to athletics imo.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I had a senior last year and a freshman this year. They haven't complained about rec space or library space, but have more issues with class scheduling in order to graduate in a timely manner. They both are in engineering and at least the older one spent more time in labs in Howe and Hoover than the library anyway. I think there were plans to improve rec space by building another rec center out by Towers? Not sure if budget cuts impacted that. They both have worked for Rec Services. The class scheduling is a killer though as far as getting into stuff when you need to; they both entered with a lot of dual enrollment and AP classes so they got to register a little earlier than some others.
My wife works in engineering, enrollment keeps going up and up, they're running out of class rooms, profs, advisors etc. no help from the higher ups on campus, "deal with it".
They keep letting a lot of unqualified students into isu, they take up room for a year or two with nothing to show from it but tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

• Agree
Reactions: swessball

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron