Jadda Buckley to Forego Redshirt Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Surprised a little at the timing but not shocked at all about the decision. Wish her the best, it's not like she didn't give it her all for four years.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Obviously this is her decision to make and I don't think anyone should judge her for it. But I hope she does not come to regret it 10, 20, 50 years from now. I think a lot of athletes wish they could have had one more season or even one more game. So I hope she does not feel that way later and thanks for being a Cyclone.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had a great source tell me when she was hurt that she would not apply for a med redshirt and be done after one more year. When the med redshirt happened I questioned if she changed her mind. Turned out she didnt.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Timing?? The season is over, sure she could have waited a couple days/weeks before she said this is it but it would still be she is not coming back. As cylclSoneU said maybe she might change her mind after talking to some of her teammates but it is her decision and if it is to forgo thanks for all she has done for us.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I finding the timing right. Season is over and I'm sure coaches/teammates knew. Might as well get it over with.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Had a great source tell me when she was hurt that she would not apply for a med redshirt and be done after one more year. When the med redshirt happened I questioned if she changed her mind. Turned out she didnt.

Birch's article in the Des Moines Register has a quote from earlier this season that makes this sound plausible, in the sense that she just wanted to "finish her years." Reading between the lines now, you can see it.

Timing-wise, they should have announced it before senior night, so she could be honored with the other players.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...al-season-iowa-state-cyclones-women/99361290/

Buckley declined to comment when contacted by The Register on Saturday. In an interview with The Register earlier this season, Buckley was asked what she was most proud of accomplishing.

“Probably just doing it,” Buckley said. “A lot of people will go and they’ll transfer or they’ll quit and there’s a lot of stuff. I think it’s just finishing. I know coach Fenn always strives on finishing. So, I think just being able to finish my years and get through the ups and downs of it, it’s really important.”

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I understand it, but why not acknowledge it and honor her on senior night? I don't see what it would have hurt.

Could have been nice if everyone is happy. If anyone is not happy it might have been awkward or uncomfortable.

The "Iowa State will have no further comment." doesn't make it sound like everybody is all lovey dovey.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The "Iowa State will have no further comment." doesn't make it sound like everybody is all lovey dovey.

Standard procedure for most schools/sports whenever someone leaves. Player and coach made their statements in the release.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Could have been nice if everyone is happy. If anyone is not happy it might have been awkward or uncomfortable.

I think that is more out of respect to JB. It was a personal decision on her part and for ISU to comment any more on it would not be beneficial to anyone. I know we all want answers but sometime the answer is as simple as for her it was time for her to be done.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and riceville98

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Standard procedure for most schools/sports whenever someone leaves. Player and coach made their statements in the release.
But announcing that you're not coming back - immediately after the season's last game - is not standard procedure. I agree with this AP writer:

Doug Feinberg‏Verified account @DougFeinberg 3h3 hours ago
Never seen this happen so quickly: Redshirt junior Jadda Buckley has elected to forgo her final season of eligibility at Iowa State

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Jadda was all in as a Cyclone. I think reality set in as she felt the grind and injuries mounted. I was thrilled to hear her say early on she wanted to bring a national championship to Iowa State. Her dream is gone and now so is Jadda.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
But announcing that you're not coming back - immediately after the season's last game - is not standard procedure. I agree with this AP writer:

Doug Feinberg‏Verified account @DougFeinberg 3h3 hours ago
Never seen this happen so quickly: Redshirt junior Jadda Buckley has elected to forgo her final season of eligibility at Iowa State

What would be normal? Clearly it was decided a while ago

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Does this mean the Clones are losing 5 players next year? 4 Seniors plus Jadda? This will leave this team very young and inexperienced.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron