Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Checked the site on my Samsung S4 today and loaded up relatively well. Didn't try typing anything. Loaded a little slow, but better than in the past.

Using Chrome on my IPad tonight and going smoother than I have seen in a long time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Am i not on mobile with my phone? When I am on data, CF grinds though a gig in about 30 minutes of off and on. Is this normal?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So we've made a ton of changes and on our end, mobile performance is a lot better.

Basically, we have gotten rid of every desktop ad on mobile except one.

You will notice now that there is an anchored ad at the very bottom of the page. Kind of a pain (I don't think it is a huge deal) but that should pay us enough - hopefully - to make up for the rest of the ads being gone. I am just scraping and clawing to break even here. Mobile has killed the digital advertising industry.

Gonna keep tweaking. Glad to hear it's better for many of your phones. We are not done with changes yet. Still experimenting.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So we've made a ton of changes and on our end, mobile performance is a lot better.

Basically, we have gotten rid of every desktop ad on mobile except one.

You will notice now that there is an anchored ad at the very bottom of the page. Kind of a pain (I don't think it is a huge deal) but that should pay us enough - hopefully - to make up for the rest of the ads being gone. I am just scraping and clawing to break even here. Mobile has killed the digital advertising industry.

Gonna keep tweaking. Glad to hear it's better for many of your phones. We are not done with changes yet. Still experimenting.

IMHO, I rather keep the ads and revenue for you guys if it's going to hurt the bottom line that bad. I haven't noticed any difference in performance, and a marginal increase isn't worth the lost revenue. 99% of users were fine with it before, and the ones that do air grievances are more annoyed, it's not like they would surf any less or leave the site.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Got hit with a spam redirect while reading the OSU game prediction article this morning. Galaxy S6 with the built in browser.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Loading a new page directs me to the very bottom of the page on mobile right now. Never had that issue before.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
IMG_1970.PNG

I'm not sure what this ad is but it's on every page I open now and it's making everything terribly slow and it never actually loads. It's been there the last couple days. I'm having a hell of a time typing this out and I didn't have issues before this point. I'm on iPhone 6 with safari. Speed tested my wifi and I'm running 119mbps down right now through my phone.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
View attachment 46822

I'm not sure what this ad is but it's on every page I open now and it's making everything terribly slow and it never actually loads. It's been there the last couple days. I'm having a hell of a time typing this out and I didn't have issues before this point. I'm on iPhone 6 with safari. Speed tested my wifi and I'm running 119mbps down right now through my phone.

I get that too (never saw it before) on iPhone-Safari. It doesn't appear to slow anything down for me, but whatever it is, it never fully loads.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I started getting that ad on my phone today, takes up the whole page basically.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I get that too (never saw it before) on iPhone-Safari. It doesn't appear to slow anything down for me, but whatever it is, it never fully loads.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I chimed in on the other lagging thread saying I had 0 issues but ever since this ad appeared it's been slow a hell.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
iPhone 6s with Safari. I started getting that ad yesterday, usually loading, sometimes at least if not always a video (though the sound was turned off; and maybe it was paused). It is at the top in a spot usually occupied by a longer, narrower -- much more benign ad -- like Heartland flags or something.

Today in addition to the big black always loading square at the top I also started getting a more banner type one at the bottom of my screen where I have rarely if ever had one before, immovable and covering part of CF. It is the kind you hesitate to click the x in the corner (the ad doesn't quite go all the way across the screen) to try to get rid of it because you are never quite sure what is going to happen next. I did once though and it then asked if that was the kind of ad/product I wanted to see advertised in that spot.

Also quite a few random reloads today which I believe disrupt what post you are viewing in a thread, like maybe going back to the first unread one rather than the one you were viewing when it reloaded.

Very annoying, all 3 outlined above. That always loading black square at the top particularly doesn't make any sense.

I have only been using adblock for things like that old Walmart ad that would come up, that is, when it was an absolute necessity. The way things are now, I will probably start using my adblock browser for CF a lot more.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
View attachment 46822

I'm getting that on my IPhone, I think it's a huge battery drainer.

• Agree
Reactions: Steubs24

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Constant redirect just now on phone. 5 times in like 10 minutes.