Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just started to listen to this right now

Hey batter batter, hey batter, hey batter batter
Hey batter batter dun DUN DUN
SWING!

As an aside, I've always preferred Breaking the Girl, Sould to Squeeze, and Suck my Kiss to the more popular Under the Bridge and Give It Away.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Entropy and Angie

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Oh you youngins...This will definitely date me.

My first 5 8-track purchases, which I subsequently wore out:

Boston-Don't Look Back
Cheap Trick-Live at Budokan
AC/DC-Back in Black
Queen-Live Killers
Pink Floyd-The Wall

Some honorable mentions:

Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic
Styx-Paradise Theater
The Who-Tommy

and lately I've really gotten into Lou Reed

The 8 tracks were replaced with cassettes, the cassettes were replaced with CDs, the CDs are now stored away and on to digital...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Public Enemy-It takes a nation

Judas Priest-You've got another thing comin

I remember friends gathering around cranking Priest to 11 before we went out for the night. Doing shots, smoking, beer bonging, etc.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Oh you youngins...This will definitely date me.

My first 5 8-track purchases, which I subsequently wore out:

Boston-Don't Look Back
Cheap Trick-Live at Budokan
AC/DC-Back in Black
Queen-Live Killers
Pink Floyd-The Wall

Some honorable mentions:

Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic
Styx-Paradise Theater
The Who-Tommy

and lately I've really gotten into Lou Reed

The 8 tracks were replaced with cassettes, the cassettes were replaced with CDs, the CDs are now stored away and on to digital...

All Classics, just like you @st8cydr!

• Funny
Reactions: st8cydr

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
graceland.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
More personal influences...

Dylan: Blonde on Blonde. It may have taken a few years for me to really become enlightened by it, but the album just shows the way to not over do things but twist words around every which way. Don't love every song but the ones I love are forever instilled. Highway 61 is probably more overall influential but not for me.

My Morning Jacket: It Still Moves.
Niel Young: Comes a Time.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
The first two CD's that I bought were Pearl Jam Ten and Metallica's black album. I started listening to "cool" music for a change instead of crap on tape like Europe. A few years later I bought Dookie by Green Day and that literally changed my life. Weezer's blue album and NOFX's Punk in Drublic are honorable mentions. Oh yeah, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I also bought the Velvet Underground boxed set after hearing Heroin on the Doors movie soundtrack. I still think it's one of the best songs ever written.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I was born in 1980 & rejected most of the 90s, preferring to dig into my dad's 70s vinyl collection.

I don't know about influential, but I believe Alice Cooper deserves more credit than he gets for this classic:

It really picks up on side two and digs into some dark stuff bookended by a couple light-hearted rock grooves.

My second album purchase was Alice Cooper Killer. Great record.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sorry about the late join here, but I just saw this. What a great topic.

My dad's youngest brother is actually closer in age to me than he is him. He's only 8 years older than me. When I was a kid, I'd spend a lot of time at my grandparents house when my parents were busy. My parents were into their music, mostly poppy type stuff from the 60s or they'd listen to KSO when we were in the car.

I had just turned 9 and really wasn't all that into music, because of what I had been exposed to. And, this being pretty much the tip of Disco, I just hadn't found much I liked or cared enough about to really get into music.

Well one day while at my grandparent's house, just sitting around looking for something to do, that's when my uncle put on this new album he'd just picked up. Pink Floyd The Wall. I was pretty much blown away. "Wow, this stuff exists" or something similar is what I thought to myself. And much to the chagrin of my parents, I was hooked. I do have a quite varied musical taste, but The Wall was definitely the album that hit me and made music my main entertainment medium for the rest of my life.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Sorry about the late join here, but I just saw this. What a great topic.

Don't worry about timing. This thread can go on forever if we want it to. I'm just trying to think up new topics for every Monday.

Also, pretty epic album to be your first Influential Album.

I didn't get into Pink Floyd until I was at ISU. I had a roommate nicknamed Stony Dan. He sat me down and played the entire Pink Floyd catalog for me. Any other details might incriminate me. Good times.

I've loved Floyd ever since.