Fraschilla vs KU

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
In addition to convincing yourselves that KU gets all the breaks, you've also been able to wipe clean from your memory ISU's early exits as a 2 and 3 seed.

Your mind powers are special.
Think about this:
1. It is easier for fans of 9 Big12 teams to each come up with recent examples of refs screwing them in favor of 1 team (KU, 2 games a year) than
2. A fan of one team (KU) coming up with recent examples of getting screwed by the refs in favor of any of the 9 other Big12 teams (18 games a year). I mean, you had to go back 2 years to come up with your most recent example.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
In addition to convincing yourselves that KU gets all the breaks, you've also been able to wipe clean from your memory ISU's early exits as a 2 and 3 seed.

Bucknell? Bradley? UNI? Wichita State?

We're not denying that KU has a special history in CBB. One of the greatest programs. Best in the B12 year after year. Bill Self = great coach, should be in HoF. We also certainly haven't forgotten Hampton, or UAB. Iowa State has nothing that can compare to KU, other than the consistent passion of our fanbase and a pretty stellar home court advantage. But, I've been watching a ton of Big 8 and Big 12 basketball (along with ACC, BE, B1G) for over 20 years now. Every team gets breaks, every team gets screwed. During those 20 years, KU has been the beneficiary of those breaks far more often than not. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I've watched 50% or more of KU's league games during that time. I'm a Big 12 basketball junkie.

If you're looking for a modern context, use KenPom's "Luck" rating. KU regularly has finished in the upper third of that, with a couple exceptions (2014). This year is much higher, which is a reason I'm not betting on KU making a Final Four run - they are due to lose sometime. Some of it is true "luck," some of it is "being clutch," but when you consistently win more close games against good competition than you are "supposed to," couldn't there possibly be something to the theory that the whistles favor your team more than the average?

Reactions: oldman and aobie

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are plenty of times when bad calls negatively impact KU. But when KU still wins the game (and they usually do), the bad calls don't get discussed and are quickly forgotten.

And yet you've shown no evidence at all of any bad calls against KU period. The WVU one is probably close, but not enough to show you got "screwed over". The Villanova one is just hilarious. It's a video of Graham fouling someone else, plain and simple. Yet, there are SO MANY instances of KU benefiting from calls at the end of games, where the national media has picked it up and talked about it at length. There's a huge difference, and the fact that you can't see it proves that you're not even looking.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are plenty of times when bad calls negatively impact KU. But when KU still wins the game (and they usually do), the bad calls don't get discussed and are quickly forgotten.
Because those bad calls against KU happen early in the game. If I get screwed on a call at tipoff, I got plenty of time to recover. If I get screwed on a call in the last 10 seconds, there is no time for me to recover from that.

• Winner
Reactions: WalkingCY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Think about this:
1. It is easier for fans of 9 Big12 teams to each come up with recent examples of refs screwing them in favor of 1 team (KU, 2 games a year) than
2. A fan of one team (KU) coming up with recent examples of getting screwed by the refs in favor of any of the 9 other Big12 teams (18 games a year). I mean, you had to go back 2 years to come up with your most recent example.

Denial is a river that starts in the Great Lakes of central Africa and flows through every KU fan, particularly this troll here today.

At least fans of Kentucky, UNC, and Duke take pride in the bad calls they receive.

• Agree
Reactions: NATEizKING and GTO

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Au contraire...
I remember those games vividly. However, they weren't due to bad calls, or even lucky shots. Our teams screwed the pooch all by themselves on those two. The Blarge vs Michigan State, in their own freakin' back yard on the other hand...

Speaking of "lucky shots"...I have very fond memories of a little dude dressed in purple...had a strange name...Ali...ummmm...Frogman...Frankfurter...oh YEAH...Farokhmanesh. Nice kid. Good school (son & DIL are alums).

• Winner
Reactions: jdoggivjc

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Think about this:
''

Actually no, earlier in the thread I pointed out the game in Manhattan a few weeks ago. Several bad whistles in the 2nd half. But then KU still won so nobody cares.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Au contraire...
I remember those games vividly. However, they weren't due to bad calls, or even lucky shots. Our teams screwed the pooch all by themselves on those two. The Blarge vs Michigan State, in their own freakin' back yard on the other hand...

I think the reason your teams "screwed the pooch" against Hampton and UAB was because they got used to the preferential treatment from officiating during the regular season.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
By virtue of Svi not having to dribble from midcourt to basket...and not being called for traveling...

Yeah, it did appear the the officials in Manhattan were going out of their way to rectify the missed traveling call in Lawrence.

In Lawrence, KU got the benefit of a bad call and won. In Manhattan, KSU got the benefit of bad calls and lost. Winners win, losers make excuses.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bigman38

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah, it did appear the the officials in Manhattan were going out of their way to rectify the missed traveling call in Lawrence.

In Lawrence, KU got the benefit of a bad call and won. In Manhattan, KSU got the benefit of bad calls and lost. Winners win, losers make excuses.
I'm sorry - did I conflate the two games? I must have misunderstood your post...but then again, it happens so often that it's hard to tell WHICH preferential call we're talking about at any given moment.

Reactions: jcyclonee

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
I'm sorry - did I conflate the two games? I must have misunderstood your post...but then again, it happens so often that it's hard to tell WHICH preferential call we're talking about at any given moment.

Yeah, it has to be super hard to keep all those excuses straight in your head.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

There it is. I knew it wouldn't be long before we saw the usual KU full arrogance.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Think about this:
To be fair, all of you watch the Kansas games. Some of your game threads on KU games are longer than the game threads on KU sites full of whines about the refs. KU fans rarely watch your games. I don't even get ESNPU or ESPN News so I haven't been able to see many ISU games this year. Maybe we'd have more examples primed and ready if we tuned in to watch you play more.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Au contraire...

Speaking of "lucky shots"...I have very fond memories of a little dude dressed in purple...had a strange name...Ali...ummmm...Frogman...Frankfurter...oh YEAH...Farokhmanesh. Nice kid. Good school (son & DIL are alums).
You think you're zinging KU fans by bring up a loss in the tourney almost a decade ago? Maybe if our longest streak of tourney appearances was only 6 years I could see us being devastated by an earlier than expected tourney exit. But this will be year number 28 in a row. Think about that for a minute. No player on the KU roster was even ALIVE the last time KU missed the tourney.

You aren't rustling any jimmies throwing that back in our face. Oh, bummer, we got upset one of those years between Final Four appearances. I guess we'll have to make the Elite Eight the next year and the championship game the year after. Poor us.

You gotta do better than that.