Haggling the markup

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
What are some things you can haggle the price on that others didn't know ?

For instance I didn't know you could barter or haggle on Jewlry the way you could . I got 36% off by pretty much joking around - I'm sure it was still a 300% markup haha .

XM radio
Satelite Tv
Cars
Guns
Campers
Farm inputs
Rent

Anything else?

Just seeing otherways I can save money through out life .

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
What's your secret? I can't even get CW to give me a coupon.
MYrxx.gif

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

For instance I didn't know you could barter or haggle on Jewlry the way you could . I got 36% off by pretty much joking around - I'm sure it was still a 300% markup haha .

XM radio
Satelite Tv
Cars
Guns
Campers
Farm inputs
Rent

Anything else?

This one kills me. Directv offered me everything on earth to keep my subscription. We wanted out, so we didnt take them up on it, but if we wanted to use it as leverage, we would have made out like kings. They are desperate.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This one kills me. Directv offered me everything on earth to keep my subscription. We wanted out, so we didnt take them up on it, but if we wanted to use it as leverage, we would have made out like kings. They are desperate.

XM radio
Satelite Tv
Cars
Guns
Campers
Farm inputs
Rent

Anything else?

Hotel rooms. Appliances. Credit card fees.

I am incapable of haggling over anything other then the expected things. I don't like "conflict" and get too personal. But the savvy ones know that everything has a cost and a value and they work it like nobody's business. Something as simple as saying I say it on-line cheaper and having them price match.

I suck at going to Mexico markets.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Trying to cancel XM is nearly impossible, the customer service people just throw out lower and lower prices. I'm not sure if it's even possible to pay full price for XM.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Trying to cancel XM is nearly impossible, the customer service people just throw out lower and lower prices. I'm not sure if it's even possible to pay full price for XM.
This. I was cancelling my membership earlier this year simply because I didn't have much drive time anymore after graduating and they were astonished that I didn't accept the low rates. They keep mailing me "special offers" too.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I just tried, No dice. Im already paying 12 a month. If it werent such a pain in the butt, Id cancel, use their start up deal to start again and do it over and over again.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I just tried, No dice. Im already paying 12 a month. If it werent such a pain in the butt, Id cancel, use their start up deal to start again and do it over and over again.
They offered $5 a month for 5 months to me several times when I cancelled. There might even be a promo code that you could mention to get that rate. They threw in free online streaming with the offer too in the last email I opened.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
My fav is there is a nice hotel in downtown dsm that will give you a room for $65 if you tell them youre in town for a certain something. They never check nor do they have a way to check. Use it all the time.

Dr bills.

have a friend that always negotiates restaurant checks in a fun way and usually gets them cut in half.

Things shipped from amazon fulfillment center, if you complain they will almost always give you a significant discount like 50% plus

electrician/plumbing work....call the company and when the guy comes out to give an estimate, ask, how much will you do it after youre off work, usually half price.

Anything breakable that you buy online, if you call and say its chipped cracked etc, they will almost always send you a new one w/out wanting the old one back

airlines/travel sites will almost always give you a free voucher if you complain and are really nice about it to the person youre talking to

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
My fav is there is a nice hotel in downtown dsm that will give you a room for $65 if you tell them youre in town for a certain something. They never check nor do they have a way to check. Use it all the time.

Dr bills.

have a friend that always negotiates restaurant checks in a fun way and usually gets them cut in half.

Things shipped from amazon fulfillment center, if you complain they will almost always give you a significant discount like 50% plus

electrician/plumbing work....call the company and when the guy comes out to give an estimate, ask, how much will you do it after youre off work, usually half price.

Anything breakable that you buy online, if you call and say its chipped cracked etc, they will almost always send you a new one w/out wanting the old one back

airlines/travel sites will almost always give you a free voucher if you complain and are really nice about it to the person youre talking to

These all seem like terrible advice.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Dr bills.

Pretty sure you crossed the line from haggling to minor fraud and lying.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think 3 separate times I tried to cancel and they got to as low as 5 months for $25 every time. The last time when I really didn't want it anymore I must have told the lady 7 times that I just wanted to cancel.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Dr bills.

Integrity is high on your list of essential qualities in a person isn't it?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not necessarily haggling, but I call and renegotiate my cable bill with Time Warner every year since they offer "promotions" all the time. I usually end up maintaining what I was paying or dropping it by a few bucks.