Let's take a crack at ranking Big 12 basketball ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. Ku - #13 in a waltz
  2. BU - better than forecast
  3. WVU - nasty to watch w/o coonskin
  4. OU - coaching matters
  5. oSu - 2nd best guard tandem
  6. UT - many studs/more youth
  7. ISU - coaching matters
  8. Tech - Tubby didn't leave bare
  9. TCU - best 'new' coach
  10. K-State - nowhere but up

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Top 3 are pretty clear. The rest is pretty wishy-washy... I don't even know where I'd put ISU at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: acgclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wondered how long it would take for someone to put ISU last. First reply, I guess not very long. Nice troll job on your timing of this thread, Surly.

Reactions: Tailg8er

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I wondered how long it would take for someone to put ISU last. First reply, I guess not very long. Nice troll job on your timing of this thread, Surly.
If you are doing a power ranking, you wouldn't put them last? I guess maybe I should have put Texas last. But ISU is right there right now with a loss by 14 to a team as bad as Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If you are doing a power ranking, you wouldn't put them last? I guess maybe I should have put Texas last. But ISU is right there right now with a loss by 14 to a team as bad as Iowa.

Have you watched the other teams in the Big 12 yet? KU, BU and WVU are the real deal. OSU is good but not great. The rest are pretty average to this point. Not saying we're world beaters, but I think 5 is fair (for the record, I thought 4 going into yesterday).

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Top 3 are pretty clear. The rest is pretty wishy-washy... I don't even know where I'd put ISU at this point.

That's how I felt trying to rank them with comments. Actually, the comments were far easier than the ranking after the first three. Will have to get a couple games into league play to sort it out, e.g. K-State starts with UT and then at Ku.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I might give them more credit than others on here, but I thought Iowa played a pretty good game last night. We had our chances, but they made plays and we didn't.

I'm more disappointed in our home loss to Cincy.

As far as rankings, I think we'll end up around 4-5. We held our own with Gonzaga's bigs so I think we can turn this around still. I think Gonzaga is consistently much better than both Iowa and Cincy. Prohm needs to figure out how to use his pieces still. He got a lot of criticism this time last year and turned things around to have a good March. I think he can do it again.

Hopefully he can tweak our offense to our strengths and find a way to get Babb and Young some more minutes.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Have you watched the other teams in the Big 12 yet? KU, BU and WVU are the real deal. OSU is good but not great. The rest are pretty average to this point. Not saying we're world beaters, but I think 5 is fair (for the record, I thought 4 going into yesterday).

That is where I had them at before the Iowa game. But i think as far as power rankings go I would have them near the bottom with Texas. Potential? Yeah just on talent and potential I would but them 4th but right now they are playing like crap and trending down.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I might give them more credit than others on here, but I thought Iowa played a pretty good game last night. We had our chances, but they made plays and we didn't.

As far as rankings, I think we'll end up around 4-5. We held our own with Gonzaga's bigs so I think we can turn this around still. I think Gonzaga is consistently much better than both Iowa and Cincy. Prohm needs to figure out how to use his pieces still. He got a lot of criticism this time last year and turned things around to have a good March. I think he can do it again.

Hopefully he can tweak our offense to our strengths and find a way to get Babb and Young some more minutes.
This is a fundamental problem we have with our current team composition, though: our team is built to run a track meet against every team we play. Trying to go full-speed and jam the ball down the other teams' throats is fine, and we excel at that; the thing is, that strategy eliminates defensive presence as a side-effect. We can't really do both. Lately, our defense has been serviceable-to-good, but our offense has lacked; when we go on big runs during games, it's generally because we picked up the pace (which will eventually result in the defense falling apart at some point). It's just so hard to have both a fast-paced offense and a slow, controlled defense.

However, apart from that, our shooting in big games has been absolutely atrocious. I'm hoping that's just a virus running through the team right now that will eventually go away.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would put ISU at 5-6 although we're trending down. I really don't care about the rest.

I honestly think Baylor might give KU a run this year however.

• Optimistic
Reactions: YeahBuddy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Is anyone sure what the strengths of the ISU offense are? ISU seems pretty inconsistent at everything right now. I dont know what they are really good at, at least not yet.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
We are not very good at anything right now. This is a group of guys- not a team. Zero fluidity, no passing of note, shot selection is almost an afterthought and free throws are too much bother. Looks lazy and incompetent- what exactly about Prohm and his recruits were we so excited about? Did Georges and Abdel make him look better than he actually is? His bigs blow chunks. Know it is early but the blend is not working.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This is tough to type. I'm not confident in the group right now.

1. KU
2. Baylor
3. WVU
4. Oklahoma
5. Oklahoma State
6. Texas Tech
7. Iowa State
8. TCU
9. Texas
10. Kansas State

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008