Ohio State Active Shooter

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is "Run Hide Fight" an official response message to these shootings?

Not saying I disagree with it, those are probably the things I would hope someone I loved did in that order. Just never heard it before and it seems like it's in their official emergency response.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Not saying I disagree with it, those are probably the things I would hope someone I loved did in that order. Just never heard it before and it seems like it's in their official emergency response.

That caught my attention too. I have to agree with that (and the order too).

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

Yes that is the new response message for shooters and things like this.

ALICE - Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate (Not the official order, What do whatever is best for your situation)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'm guessing it is their official plan.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

They have been teaching this for quite awhile now. ISU teaches something similar.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
7 people have been taken to the hospital...

Yikes. On stuff like this you wind up hoping (and hope is an odd word to use) that it's an isolated incident and not a mass shooting. Hoping that's still the case, but this report would suggest otherwise.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It's also a popular self-defense mantra for active shooter situations.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yikes. On stuff like this you wind up hoping (and hope is an odd word to use) that it's an isolated incident and not a mass shooting. Hoping that's still the case, but this report would suggest otherwise.

Several years ago, I'd automatically assume that these early reports were wrong and overstated injuries or death. Now after sandy hook and Orlando, I assume it is worse than initial reports. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

That's pretty common now. ISU policy is similar.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

My employer has the same plan in
That's pretty common now. ISU policy is similar.
My employer has the same policy in place.

As for the situation at Ohio State hopefully they get the shooter before anyone else becomes a casualty.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Yes that is the new response message for shooters and things like this.

ALICE - Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate (Not the official order, What do whatever is best for your situation)

We teach both ALICE and run, hide, fight at my office.

Reactions: Bret44

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Yes. Run Hide Fight is a saying being used in many schools, including public schools. The basic idea is, Run - Get away if you can. Hide - If you can't. Fight - if the first two options are no longer available to you.

This stems for the concept of an active shooter vs. say a bank robber. A bank robber you do whatever they say. They usually want money and want to leave. An active shooter does not want money or leave. They want body counts and often want to die.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yes. Run Hide Fight is a saying being used in many schools, including public schools. The basic idea is, Run - Get away if you can. Hide - If you can't. Fight - if the first two options are no longer available to you.

This stems for the concept of an active shooter vs. say a bank robber. A bank robber you do whatever they say. They usually want money and want to leave. An active shooter does not want money or leave. They want body counts and often want to die.

...and I think to myself....what a wonderful world

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The DOD doesn't call it "Run, Hide, Fight", but the less-catchy "Escape, Shelter-In-Place, Fight Back" is the exact same thing.