Iowa Basketball Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The other team never missed a shot? Air Jok was hogging all of them to himself?
Surely there were plenty of missed FT by Seton Hall to grab more than 2 boards. Cook is good and plays hard.

Based on last nights 40 minute layup drill by Seton Hall as long as ISU attacks the basket all night and plays respectable defense it will be a win.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.

Everyone is always cautious leading up to the game, and then we revert back to normal after.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Finally checked the box score, for all the crying about FT shooting, Hall shot them worse.

The big takeaway from the box score is "the bench" has no business being in a competitive game.

Then you consider the starters include Baer and Uhl. Woof

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No, it's not. Monte didn't light it up in his first game against real competition, but he definitely held his own. A major difference of course being that his first big game came against a 7th ranked Michigan, which was full of NBA talent. Bohannon on the other hand just got his **** tossed by some garbage Seton Hall outfit.

Your desire to be seen as 'the voice of reason' is a little ridiculous. Tone the hyperbole down and you might sneak by with it.

Hmmm...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Finally checked the box score, for all the crying about FT shooting, Hall shot them worse.

The big takeaway from the box score is "the bench" has no business being in a competitive game.

Yeah but the BTN announcers last night said that Baer is the type of player everyone wants on their team o_O

I seriously don't understand what Fran is trying to accomplish over there. He is going 11 deep and the fall off from 5-11 is enormous. Fran is constantly rotating guys on and off the floor which completely takes his team out of sync. How do you not have your core 7 or 8? There are points in the game when there is only 1 starter on the floor! You can't justify doing this with Iowa talent.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah but the BTN announcers last night said that Baer is the type of player everyone wants on their team o_O

I seriously don't understand what Fran is trying to accomplish over there. He is going 11 deep and the fall off from 5-11 is enormous. Fran is constantly rotating guys on and off the floor which completely takes his team out of sync. How do you not have your core 7 or 8? There are points in the game when there is only 1 starter on the floor! You can't justify doing this with Iowa talent.

The problem is the fall off from 3-11 is enormous. Williams and Bohannon wouldn't play PG on most B1G teams. Uhl and Baer are role players at best and the rest of the bench wouldn't get minutes on most teams. Pemsl intrigues me though but his injuries really hurt him. He's crafty

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Lol Iowa played out of their mind last year and still couldn't win. And that team was much better than this Iowa team.

Iowa just lost to Seton Hall who would be lucky to make the NIT. At home. This will be the 2014 game all over again.

Dang son this is some delusional thinking here. Seton Hall will be in the NCAA tournament just like last season. How exactly did Iowa play out of their mind last season?

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Honest question, what is the obsession with Bohannon around here? He's a true freshman who won't see many minutes come conference time.

Aug 14, 2009

Iowa had 7 guys play 19 or more minutes last night, and nobody else played more than 6. What are you talking about? Our PG's are not good defending right now, and it shows in fast breaks and slide bys, over and over. Iowa doesn't have a dominant five like ISU to play the majority of minutes, what should he do? Williams has size, but no speed. It's why ISU will abuse us there. Fran doesn't know what he has down low right now, and he's trying to find someone to step up besides Cook. Uhl is not the answer, and I personally would have loved to see Pemsl more. Finally, why does this board hate in state players like Bohannen so much? Honestly, I love to see those guys do well no matter where they go. ISU, UNI, Creighton, I always cheer for them. Weird. Good day and good luck this year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Honest question, what is the obsession with Bohannon around here? He's a true freshman who won't see many minutes come conference time.

Iowa was after a lot of PG targets. Fran had a lot to sell since he was graduating two PG's. There was an Iowa poster that frequented this thread a lot called Dan. He was so sure Iowa was going to get one of the top PG targets Fran was after and when Bohannon got mentioned as a possibility the guy, who was the biggest Hawkeye homer on here, said there is no way Bohannon would ever get a scholarship to Iowa because he was a MVC player at best. Bohannon committed and then he started to talk himself into it being a steal by saying he was Iowa's Mr. Basketball, elite shooter, etc.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The problem is the fall off from 3-11 is enormous. Williams and Bohannon wouldn't play PG on most B1G teams. Uhl and Baer are role players at best and the rest of the bench wouldn't get minutes on most teams. Pemsl intrigues me though but his injuries really hurt him. He's crafty

I was being geerous with the 5-11 fall off... The main point is that the starting 5 is what it is but why set your team up for failure by going that deep into your bench with the only exception being foul trouble? There is a huge difference between actually have an 11 deep roster and playing 11 guys. Fran still hasn't figured that out, which is pretty sad.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Dang son this is some delusional thinking here. Seton Hall will be in the NCAA tournament just like last season. How exactly did Iowa play out of their mind last season?

Maybe. They were 43rd in the most recent AP Poll with only 37 at large bids

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Parrish predicts 17 wins and a 6th place finish in the 10 team Big East.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa had 7 guys play 19 or more minutes last night, and nobody else played more than 6. What are you talking about? Our PG's are not good defending right now, and it shows in fast breaks and slide bys, over and over. Iowa doesn't have a dominant five like ISU to play the majority of minutes, what should he do? Williams has size, but no speed. It's why ISU will abuse us there. Fran doesn't know what he has down low right now, and he's trying to find someone to step up besides Cook. Uhl is not the answer, and I personally would have loved to see Pemsl more. Finally, why does this board hate in state players like Bohannen so much? Honestly, I love to see those guys do well no matter where they go. ISU, UNI, Creighton, I always cheer for them. Weird. Good day and good luck this year.

I personally don't "hate" in state players. I'm just saying that guys like Bohannon and Baer aren't power 5 talent. Both of these guys would be really solid in the MVC though.

Regarding the rotation you can try to justify it as feeling out what you have but Mad Fran has been doing this for years...

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I think that was obvious to literally everyone other than Fran/Hok Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron