Iowa Basketball Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I realize it's dated. It was a pretty well known moniker back in the day and I always found it entertaining. Mostly, I'm just happy that Iowa has a terrible point guard situation.

Like I said, I never heard it.

I was curious and looked it up. Woods had 564 career assists and 319 turnovers. For a ratio of 1.7. Not elite but not bad.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Has he had an average one?

Even another year of Clemmens would be a huge upgrade and maybe enough to squeak them into the dance. I'd have called MG an average B10 pg, when I mock him I only mock him because this thread said he was a wash with Monte.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I posted that, and it's completely true. I was impressed with them yesterday especially cook. Our guys can't defend low major bigs without fouling, cook is definitely going to give us trouble.

I agree our guys will have their hands full. Young and Holden might both foul out with around 20-25 min combined minutes if Cook plays like he did last night.

With that said, I think our backcourt will create as many mismatches with Iowa's as Seton Hall did last night, so we should still get the W.

We will probably play small ball a lot, but Cook will give us trouble.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
iowa played a lot better than I thought they would. cook might be the first player as good as fran says he his.

i'd imagine whoever's guarded by Jok will take the ball to the basket. clearly monte and burton should be able to get to the rim. but our D isn't much better than iowa's right now.

i could see us doubling down in the post and leaving ellingson and bohannon open and those kids will light it up because its against us.

i could also see naz go 2-15 from 3. hope he's hot!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
iowa played a lot better than I thought they would. cook might be the first player as good as fran says he his.

i'd imagine whoever's guarded by Jok will take the ball to the basket. clearly monte and burton should be able to get to the rim. but our D isn't much better than iowa's right now.

i could see us doubling down in the post and leaving ellingson and bohannon open and those kids will light it up because its against us.

Im not convinced we've been trying too hard either.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Actually according to advanced statistics our defense has been light years better than Iowa so far

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I agree our guys will have their hands full. Young and Holden might both foul out with around 20-25 min combined minutes if Cook plays like he did last night.

With that said, I think our backcourt will create as many mismatches with Iowa's as Seton Hall did last night, so we should still get the W.

We will probably play small ball a lot, but Cook will give us trouble.

Seton Hall's defense was pretty bad last night. Cook won't give ISU trouble.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Last year Naz didn't play well but he was clearly injured. The two previous years he was a combined 8-14 (57%) from 3 point range. I believe he'll be fine. Also, if his shooting hasn't come around by then, this type of rivalry game is exactly the kind of thing that should get him fired up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Actually according to advanced statistics our defense has been light years better than Iowa so far

It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Mount St Mary's guards and pg were much much quicker than anything Iowa has..not saying better but harder to keep in front of u..We held MSM to less than WV did..

Defensively we are far better than last couple years..albeit vs poor comp..

I don't imagine seeing anything more unbelievable than uthoff throwing up 30 footers at will this year..

Like Iowa..this Isu team is still figuring itself out

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Last year Naz didn't play well but he was clearly injured. The two previous years he was a combined 8-14 (57%) from 3 point range. I believe he'll be fine. Also, if his shooting hasn't come around by then, this type of rivalry game is exactly the kind of thing that should get him fired up.

We also have alternatives if he's off.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.

Agree..Don't worry Fran will ruin Cook when all is said and done..

We are going to learn real quick what we have in a week

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I posted that, and it's completely true. I was impressed with them yesterday especially cook. Our guys can't defend low major bigs without fouling, cook is definitely going to give us trouble.

No, it's not. Monte didn't light it up in his first game against real competition, but he definitely held his own. A major difference of course being that his first big game came against a 7th ranked Michigan, which was full of NBA talent. Bohannon on the other hand just got his **** tossed by some garbage Seton Hall outfit.

Your desire to be seen as 'the voice of reason' is a little ridiculous. Tone the hyperbole down and you might sneak by with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron