Georges Niang: First Pro Workout With Chicago Bulls

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I've said it a millions times because people seem to think it's better not to get drafted in the second round and "pick your team" in free agency instead. Statistically, there's a much higher chance of sticking with a team if you're drafted as opposed to not. See Roy Marble and Melvin Ejim in Orlando. I hope for that reason alone, someone takes a flyer on him.

Put it in the CF myth category along with - in the NBA they don't play defense. It would be way better if Niang gets drafted.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Just as far as tonight's NBA draft goes, I bet when they do the 're-draft the 2016 draft' in 5 years Kay Felder is going leap a lot of guys drafted ahead of him and be put in the late 1st rd.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Please let him go to any NBA team but the Bulls. Please.

While I don't know if it would be the best move for Fred, it might be the best chance for Georges to prove if he's got it or not.

Fred would play him and put him in a position to prove himself.

Now if it's not successful, then that hurts Fred and Georges.

I just want Georges to get a real shot and show what he can do. It would be nice if he went to a decent team and was that extra piece that makes them really successful. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant superstar, but I hope there's a place for him.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Put it in the CF myth category along with - in the NBA they don't play defense. It would be way better if Niang gets drafted.

I would also like to see the statistical analysis of this. It might be true, but I'm not sure it's that much of an advantage.

I would think going undrafted would increase the chances of signing oversees instead. Those that go undrafted and DO get an NBA shot may have a better chance of sticking than some of the late drafted players, but it might also be more difficult to get that NBA shot.

I think a lot of teams use late second round picks as sort of lottery picks to get rights to guys that could be good or could bomb. Any statistical advantage might be due to taking these risks.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

It's more likely that we're told that so we feel better about Ejim/Kane/etc not being drafted. :twitcy:

Kinda like how you tell ugly people that inner beauty is what's really important. :jimlad:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
While I don't know if it would be the best move for Fred, it might be the best chance for Georges to prove if he's got it or not.

Fred would play him and put him in a position to prove himself.

Now if it's not successful, then that hurts Fred and Georges.

I just want Georges to get a real shot and show what he can do. It would be nice if he went to a decent team and was that extra piece that makes them really successful. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant superstar, but I hope there's a place for him.

Another problem with the Bulls is they also have McBuckets and can they afford another player at a similar position who might be a defensive liability? But Bulls fans backlash would be horrendous with Floyd2.0.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Ideally Georges gets drafted, and by a terrible team that just needs to score points and get people into seats.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Watching NBA Commissioner Adam Silver host the 2016 draft is great if you like watching paint dry. What a strange dude.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would also like to see the statistical analysis of this. It might be true, but I'm not sure it's that much of an advantage.

I would think going undrafted would increase the chances of signing oversees instead. Those that go undrafted and DO get an NBA shot may have a better chance of sticking than some of the late drafted players, but it might also be more difficult to get that NBA shot.

I think a lot of teams use late second round picks as sort of lottery picks to get rights to guys that could be good or could bomb. Any statistical advantage might be due to taking these risks.

I think the line about getting the shot is the big one. I think once you are in the undrafted pool you are with a ton of other people, including NBDL guys and other European pros that have a huge advantage over you. In the NFL I think you could make the argument it's better to be undrafted than go in the 7th round because it is a much different situation. I don't know the statistics, but I do know I rarely see guys with the undrafted tag in their player bios. I should check.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
If Niang can shoot the 3 consistently, I don't understand why you wouldn't draft him.

There are literally hundreds of guys that can "shoot the 3 consistently" that would kill for a chance to play in the NBA. Niang has no position in the NBA and most importantly, there is no where he can play defensively. He would get absolutely torched, even against bench units. There's not much demand in the NBA for a 6'6", unathletic PF.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good thing he's 6'8". Obviously it's unlikely he gets drafted.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
A little disheartening to see so much American talent taking a back seat to international players in the draft but that's the trend.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone want to make a bet that if Uthoff does get drafted and Georges doesn't that AltHawk will be back on this thread, pounding his chest and bragging about how Iowa and Uthoff are actually the better program and player based on tonight's draft?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
A little disheartening to see so much American talent taking a back seat to international players in the draft but that's the trend.

Yep, and nothing personal against international players, but I personally would watch more NBA games if I actually recognized more names of players who I'm familiar with from having followed them in college.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Anyone want to make a bet that if Uthoff does get drafted and Georges doesn't that AltHawk will be back on this thread, pounding his chest and bragging about how Iowa and Uthoff are actually the better program and player based on tonight's draft?

I'll bet that he won't make it very far doing that if he tries.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There are literally hundreds of guys that can "shoot the 3 consistently" that would kill for a chance to play in the NBA. Niang has no position in the NBA and most importantly, there is no where he can play defensively. He would get absolutely torched, even against bench units. There's not much demand in the NBA for a 6'6", unathletic PF.

He measured at 6'8.5 but let's not ruin your hatred