Bourbon

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Bulleit and Makers are probably the two bourbons I drink most frequently. Also enjoy Woodford Reserve quite a bit.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
3 pages and not a single Blanton's mention? I'm assuming it is hard to find in Iowa but if you see the distinctive round 'grenade looking' bottle with the horse/jockey on top, definitly grab it. I had to have liquor stores order it for me when I moved back to the midwest. For those of you that like Basil Hayden's and Booker's, you definitely need to try the Blanton's, which is typically rated higher than both for almost the same amount of money. It might not be pappy, but for $50ish a bottle it is probably the single best value for a premium single barrel bourbon, at least for my money...

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Jack Daniels is produced in Tennessee, it cannot be a bourbon. If it is not produced in Kentucky it is not bourbon. There might be some laws about this.

this isn't true, Bourbons can be made anywhere in the US, is the filtering system that DQs it:

So why isn’t Jack Daniels bourbon? This whiskey does follow all the rules of bourbon except one, the one that says no colorings or flavorings may be added. This regulation is violated when the whiskey is filtered through the maple charcoal. This is called the Lincoln County Process and is what gives Jack Daniels its distinctive taste.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
3 pages and not a single Blanton's mention? I'm assuming it is hard to find in Iowa but if you see the distinctive round 'grenade looking' bottle with the horse/jockey on top, definitly grab it. I had to have liquor stores order it for me when I moved back to the midwest. For those of you that like Basil Hayden's and Booker's, you definitely need to try the Blanton's, which is typically rated higher than both for almost the same amount of money. It might not be pappy, but for $50ish a bottle it is probably the single best value for a premium single barrel bourbon, at least for my money...

From page 1: "I'd say Rock Hill Farms and Blantons are a tie for my tops. Personally I think Ryes are better, Angel's Envy Rye is easily the best I've had, but Whistle Pig is wonderful too."

Good call on the Bookers, just dangerous stuff. 129 proof and so smooth do don't know until its too late.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Evan Williams
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford
Bulleit

I know it's not bourbon but Jack is gross.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
end thread. This discussion is now pointless as I drank all the Bourbon on Saturday.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Ridge is my go to these days.

I enjoyed Pappy Van Winkle on a couple of occasions, it was incredible.

Stranahan's is good as well, not sure if it has made its way out of Colorado yet.

I have a buddy setting up a bourbon tasting for a group of friends here in Denver. Steaks and a couple of flights of bourbon, looking forward to it

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Woodford is my go-to. Buffalo Trace is a nice inexpensive option.

I don't know if Templeton Rye is technically a bourbon, but whatever it is I do think it's overrated. Not bad, just not as great as fans would have you think.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Probably the smoothest bourbon I've ever has is Bookers. It's 128 proof and has quite a bite but it's probably the smoothest tasting bourbon I have ever drank. It runs about $50-60 a bottle so it ain't cheap but I keep a bottle of it at home and swear by it when you have a sore throat. Take a good swig of that and sore throats seem to feel better and heal up in no time

bookersbottle.jpg

For less expensive stuff I like Cedar Ridge and Makers Mark, even get a bottle of Wyoming Whisky once in awhile that is distilled just up the road from where my brother lives. If I just want some cheap stuff to mix Evan Williams tastes just like Jack Daniels to me so I'll buy that over Jack most of the time.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Bulleit is my go-to, best quality for the price point IMO.

That said, I often will buy what is on sale at my local liquor store, just to try out more medium-end bourbons. I won't pay the $50 for Blanton's or Stranahan's, even though it's really good, when I can get something still very good for half the price (similar views on wine - you don't have to spend $20-30+ for a decent bottle of wine).

Others that I like, as many have previously mentioned, are Evan Williams, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Woodford, Knob Creek.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Woodford Reserve if I'm drinking it neat. (Whiskey stones, not ice cubs. Don't want to water it down.)

Maker's Mark if it's going into an Old Fashioned.

There are no other acceptable ways to drink bourbon.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
For a cheapskate, I really like Ancient Age. Goes down smooth with a slightly sweet finish. $25 for a handle. A lot of times, the store is out of it, so it mustn't be too bad. If it's out, I go with Evan.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Also want to note that if you're interested in doing the Bourbon Trail in KY, do it.

The best tours are at Maker's, Woodford, and Four Roses. In that order.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Bulleit is my go-to, best quality for the price point IMO.

That said, I often will buy what is on sale at my local liquor store, just to try out more medium-end bourbons. I won't pay the $50 for Blanton's or Stranahan's, even though it's really good, when I can get something still very good for half the price (similar views on wine - you don't have to spend $20-30+ for a decent bottle of wine).

Others that I like, as many have previously mentioned, are Evan Williams, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Woodford, Knob Creek.

Stranahan's is totally worth the money at my house.
I'm told that TinCup is made by Stranahan's for a fraction of the price and is also pretty good.

JohnnyKilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2011
LeClaire, IA
Cody Road Bourbon by The Mississippi River Distilling Co. in LeClaire. Ryan and Garrett Burchett are the owners/distillers and are both Iowa State Grads - I think Ryan was actually Cy back in the day... and they make a great product

• Winner
Reactions: ISUalways

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Jack is a bourbon. Their marketing tries to differentiate it.

Jack Daniels is produced in Tennessee, it cannot be a bourbon. If it is not produced in Kentucky it is not bourbon. There might be some laws about this.

And that's fine, I never said Jack was bourbon....I merely said that if the only difference is that it's not made in a certain set of zip codes, it's BS to claim it can't be named bourbon. I realize certain lawmakers have codified that into law, but it's still lame.

Jack is Tennessee whiskey, which, other than it not being made in Kentucky, is classified as bourbon.

the level of expert misinformation in this thread is impressive even by CF standards