Bourbon

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
We have 2 bottles of bourbon in the cabinet at the request of our bourbon drinking friends; Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cedar Ridge is my go-to. As good as most anything else I've had. I like Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig, but not as much. I agree with Tre on Basil Hayden's, real real good. A little bit lighter than Cedar Ridge but very very good. I've always wanted to try Stagg but haven't found it anywhere around here. I personally think Woodford Reserve is overrated and definitely not $10/bottle better than Cedar Ridge.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Jack is a bourbon. Their marketing tries to differentiate it.

Jack Daniels is produced in Tennessee, it cannot be a bourbon. If it is not produced in Kentucky it is not bourbon. There might be some laws about this.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Jack Daniels is produced in Tennessee, it cannot be a bourbon. If it is not produced in Kentucky it is not bourbon. There might be some laws about this.

This is some communist bull****. If it uses the same ingredients and same process getting similar results, insisting that it be called something else because its not made in a certain location is the bull**** that the EU started to protect certain cabals.

kbud

Jan 9, 2012
This is some communist bull****. If it uses the same ingredients and same process getting similar results, insisting that it be called something else because its not made in a certain location is the bull**** that the EU started to protect certain cabals.

Different process... Jack Daniels uses charcoal filtering therefore it is not bourbon.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Makers, Buffalo Trace, etc. are good choices. Bookers, IMHO, is by far the best widely-available bourbon. Pappy Van Winkle is generally acknowledged to be in a class by itself, and, if you ever find some and can justify the cost, should be tried at least once.
On the opposite end of the scale, especially if you're mixing, it's hard to argue with the price of 90-proof Ezra Brooks.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Makers, Buffalo Trace, etc. are good choices. Bookers, IMHO, is by far the best widely-available bourbon. Pappy Van Winkle is generally acknowledged to be in a class by itself, and, if you ever find some and can justify the cost, should be tried at least once.
On the opposite end of the scale, especially if you're mixing, it's hard to argue with the price of 90-proof Ezra Brooks.
My wife bought me a 10 yr Rip Van Winkle and a 15 yr Pappy several years before their boom happened and prices soared. We share the same last name so she thought it would be a good present. I liked the 10 yr better than the 15. The 15 yr was 53.5%.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Different process... Jack Daniels uses charcoal filtering therefore it is not bourbon.

And that's fine, I never said Jack was bourbon....I merely said that if the only difference is that it's not made in a certain set of zip codes, it's BS to claim it can't be named bourbon. I realize certain lawmakers have codified that into law, but it's still lame.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

You should really read the article I posted (even if it's a Wiki article"

"On a federal level, what constitutes Tennessee whiskey is legally established under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)[SUP][1][/SUP] and at least one other international trade agreement[SUP][2][/SUP] that require that Tennessee whiskey be "a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee". Canadian food and drug laws [SUP][3][/SUP] state that Tennessee whiskey must be "a straight Bourbon whisky produced in the State of Tennessee"."

So yeah, it's not bourbon because it's not produced in Kentucky, but the legal definition of Tennessee whiskey is that it is a "bourbon whiskey produced exclusively in the state of Tennessee."

Jack Daniel's is Tennessee whiskey, which essentially means it's bourbon, but because it's not produced in Kentucky it can't be called that - thus, Tennessee whiskey.

Last edited:

rtchenoweth

Aug 31, 2006
Scottsdale
You should really read the article I posted (even if it's a Wiki article"

"On a federal level, what constitutes Tennessee whiskey is legally established under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)[SUP][1][/SUP] and at least one other international trade agreement[SUP][2][/SUP] that require that Tennessee whiskey be "a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee". Canadian food and drug laws [SUP][3][/SUP] state that Tennessee whiskey must be "a straight Bourbon whisky produced in the State of Tennessee"."

So yeah, it's not bourbon because it's not produced in Kentucky, but the legal definition of Tennessee whiskey is that it is a "bourbon whiskey produced exclusively in the state of Tennessee."

Jack Daniel's is Tennessee whiskey, which essentially means it's bourbon, but because it's not produced in Kentucky it can't be called that - thus, Tennessee whiskey.

Actually bourbon just has to be made in America(although 95% is made in KY). Bourbon was declared Amercia's native spirit by an act of congress in 1964 under Lydon B Johnson. There are laws to making bourbon and 1 is to not impart flavor and Jack does by the filtering process they do. Therefore not a bourbon.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Haven't tried nearly enough to have much of an opinion on the matter but I've had more than my fair share of Beam and I don't see myself getting tired of it any time soon. Like Maker's too but Jim definitely tops my list .

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R.5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[SUP][18][/SUP] must be:

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Evan Williams Single Barrel is the best sub-$30 bourbon I've ever had. Buffalo Trace is also excellent
for its price point. If you wanna get into the $35 range, try Eagle Rare 10. If you want to splurge, Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch is great. If you ever decide to delve into Rye's give Rittenhouse 100 a try.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Jack sucks, so I don't know why it's being talked about regardless of what it is.

Personally, I go with Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
OP, are you mixing? Or drinking neat/over ice? If you are mixing highballs there's no reason to buy anything over $20

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron