Drew Ott Appeal Denied

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Drew Ott's appeal for another year with a medical hardship waiver was denied today. I would feel bad for the kid if he wasn't going to the NFL. Instead I'll be happy that he isn't playing against Iowa State while he instead goes and collects millions of dollars.

It seemed like a longshot all along:

Guidelines allow for Ott to receive a fifth year -- he has not redshirted -- if he played in 30 percent (or less) of his team’s games in the year at stake and did not compete after the midpoint of the season.

Ott meets the second criteria but not the first. Iowa has asked the Big Ten to consider that Ott dislocated his elbow in Week 2 against Iowa State and played a limited role over the next month.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/130990/the-frustrating-case-of-drew-otts-wait

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Re: Drew Ott NCAA Appeal Denied

Didn't he play in like 5 or 6 games? Pretty cut and dry

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I didn't follow this super closely but I always thought if games played or number of snaps was under a certain threshold you were eligible for a Medical RS. Must just be games played?

Also another case of the NCAA just sucking at putting the kid first. Dragging this out until now is a joke.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Too bad. If this kid were an ISU player he would have gotten good advice and been told to forget about it and move on from the off. Now he's behind the 8 ball with the NFL.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I didn't follow this super closely but I always thought if games played or number of snaps was under a certain threshold you were eligible for a Medical RS. Must just be games played?

Also another case of the NCAA just sucking at putting the kid first. Dragging this out until now is a joke.

I don't think the NCAA drug this out as you say, but rather, Iowa kept appealing. The answer has been no for a while.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seemed a good kid.

Surprised he even wanted to come back, to be honest.

Hope he does well/has a good shot at fame and fortune on Sunday, though.

Helps a little in the ISU@Iowa game this year, too.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't think the NCAA drug this out as you say, but rather, Iowa kept appealing. The answer has been no for a while.

This. The NCAA made their decision quite a while ago. It was a "no." I'm no fan of the NCAA, but this was a case of Iowa not wanting to take no for an answer.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wasn't expecting him to get it. I'm not sure what took so long. He already redshirted and he played in too many games. He clearly didn't meet the criteria for a 6th year.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Drew Ott's appeal for another year with a medical hardship waiver was denied today. I would feel bad for the kid if he wasn't going to the NFL. Instead I'll be happy that he isn't playing against Iowa State while he instead goes and collects millions of dollars.

Just curious, where did you see that his appeal had been denied? Looking through twitter and I'm not seeing anything.

Edit - See it now. Seems odd that Miller and Leistikow haven't tweeted out something.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nothing against Ott, he's a hell of a player. Am happy that it brings Iowa down some and helps our chances.

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
Too bad. If this kid were an ISU player he would have gotten good advice and been told to forget about it and move on from the off. Now he's behind the 8 ball with the NFL.

He attended the combine but was unable to participate in drills due to injuries. What "good advice" would have allowed him to be ahead of where he is today?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron