Drew Ott Appeal Denied

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Just curious, where did you see that his appeal had been denied? Looking through twitter and I'm not seeing anything.

Edit - See it now. Seems odd that Miller and Leistikow haven't tweeted out something.

I saw it from Morehouse. Leistikow is probably furiously writing an article blasting the NCAA right now. Needs to maintain his role as Hawkeye cheerleader.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm confused. When did the Big 10 hand this over to the NCAA? Didn't the Big 10 sit on it until almost March and then it went to the NCAA? Two months is acting fast when the NCAA is involved.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I wasn't expecting him to get it. I'm not sure what took so long. He already redshirted and he played in too many games. He clearly didn't meet the criteria for a 6th year.

He was applying for a fifth year as he never redshirted.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I haven't been following the story close but everyone has acted like it was a travesty if he didn't get it.

But it reading the article, it sounds like he played in too many games and they wanted him to get a year because he played hurt? That's bull. That's like saying Monte should get an extra year because he played hurt after the Iowa game.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Was a bit of a longshot. If I were him, I'd have gone about as much combine stuff as I could, legally, and hoped for year 5.

He'll probably be okay. Maybe would have been drafted higher if he'd had the Jess Settles year, but should still make the NFL in some way.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I haven't been following the story close but everyone has acted like it was a travesty if he didn't get it.

But it reading the article, it sounds like he played in too many games and they wanted him to get a year because he played hurt? That's bull. That's like saying Monte should get an extra year because he played hurt after the Iowa game.

Most Iowa fans thought it was a longshot but worth trying.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Most folks I know didn't think him being denied is a travesty, per se. And note that sports really cannot ever be a travesty (my opinion).
The issue most folks had was with the length of time. He filed the appeal in late November 2015 I believe. Seems like he should have been able to get a final answer before 4/12.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Most folks I know didn't think him being denied is a travesty, per se. And note that sports really cannot ever be a travesty (my opinion).
The issue most folks had was with the length of time. He filed the appeal in late November 2015 I believe. Seems like he should have been able to get a final answer before 4/12.

He did. but he and the AD didn't like the answer so they appealed.

Add to that they can't start the process until the respective season is over completely,

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa had 22 players in the NFL last year and KSU only had 8.

Well yeah, Kansas State sucked for a while until the last 5 years. Still would have been better off going to Kansas State and playing against better competition IMO

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Well yeah, Kansas State sucked for a while until the last 5 years. Still would have been better off going to Kansas State and playing against better competition IMO

I think Drew is perfectly content with his decision.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think Drew is perfectly content with his decision.

Probably true, just answering a question on what he could have done better. Playing against better competition in his career could have put him ahead of where he is now. Just my opinion

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Probably true, just answering a question on what he could have done better. Playing against better competition in his career could have put him ahead of where he is now. Just my opinion

Competition doesn't get much better than going up against an Outland Award Trophy Tackle and #5 NFL Draft Pick everyday in practice.