Drew Ott Appeal Denied

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Competition doesn't get much better than going up against an Outland Award Trophy Tackle and #5 NFL Draft Pick everyday in practice.

Was more talking about going against the Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, etc type teams every week. NFL Scouts watch game film not practice film.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
609.gif

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I haven't been following the story close but everyone has acted like it was a travesty if he didn't get it.

But it reading the article, it sounds like he played in too many games and they wanted him to get a year because he played hurt? That's bull. That's like saying Monte should get an extra year because he played hurt after the Iowa game.

It actually wasn't even kind of like that. At all.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My impression up here in CR-IC area is most people (fans anyway) thought his approval and return was a done deal - very small chance it would NOT be approved. There were stats and numbers and quarters played and not played et al.

It will probably impact the fans more than either Ott or the Iowa DL, when all is said and done.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
My impression up here in CR-IC area is most people (fans anyway) thought his approval and return was a done deal - very small chance it would NOT be approved. There were stats and numbers and quarters played and not played et al.

It will probably impact the fans more than either Ott or the Iowa DL, when all is said and done.

Can't speak for that area, but most fans on the Iowa boards thought it would be denied. I think there is a huge drop between Ott and Hesse, unless Hesse improves a ton in the off season. I think Ott would have had a huge senior year last year without the injuries.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I had Hawk buddies of mine outraged on Twitter. Not saying this is the status quo, but obviously certain people thought he deserved a 5th season even after playing in half the games last year.

Like I said before, I really do feel for Ott. I'm sure he's a good guy, and he got put in a terrible situation, first by the injuries, then by all the appeals from the university. But I'd hope he knew the whole time that this was a long shot to be given another season in college by the NCAA.

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
But I'd hope he knew the whole time that this was a long shot to be given another season in college by the NCAA.

No doubt. I think most got their hopes up after the B1G passed it along to the NCAA -- it looked like things were in motion. Looking at the numbers, the NCAA ruled appropriately.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I had Hawk buddies of mine outraged on Twitter. Not saying this is the status quo, but obviously certain people thought he deserved a 5th season even after playing in half the games last year.

Like I said before, I really do feel for Ott. I'm sure he's a good guy, and he got put in a terrible situation, first by the injuries, then by all the appeals from the university. But I'd hope he knew the whole time that this was a long shot to be given another season in college by the NCAA.

Not that it matters now, but Ott really got less than 3 years of playing in his 4 years. Iowa didn't play him the first 7 games of his freshman year, pulled the redshirt off him due to injuries to other players. Looking back, having Ott play 5 meaningless games in a dreadful 2012 season seems hardly worth it. Of course, getting that game time probably helped him be more ready in 2013. But had the redshirt just stayed on Ott for all of 2012, he would be looking at a senior year in 2016.

I thought perhaps the 2012 season might tip things in Ott's favor. But can't really dispute the NCAA ruling in this manner. I don't have issues with holding to the rules, as long as they are applied consistently.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I thought the only way he would get a waiver from the rules is that he didn't redshirt and was only petitioning for a fifth year. But I have no problem with the ruling.

Help Support Us

Become a patron