Iowa Tap Room - Opening Feb/March 2016 - downtown Des Moines

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The building Raccoon rented is being converted into condos. It was an interesting setup that they had, I think the kitchen was actually in another building so it may have been 2 leases.
I think that the constraints of the business led to it's closing more so than the product.

Goodbye Raccoon River Brewery. Hello Bubba's....

http://bubbadsm.com/

His Southern concept Bubba — Southern Comforts opens in the former Raccoon River Brewing Co. space inside the Clemens Building at 200 10th St. in late spring.
The 5,300-square-foot restaurant takes over the same two-floor footprint Raccoon River once occupied from 1997 until it closed in March.

Diners won’t recognize the former space once it’s finished. The 120-seat restaurant plans to feature a huge lounge area with 40 seats split among upholstered furniture such as wing-back tufted arm chairs and high-top stools on the first floor, the centerpiece for conversation. The clubby feel of the room will remind guests of a smoking lounge with its selection of bourbons and ryes behind the bar

Sounds promising although this is a bit odd?

Diebel will have his own table in the front corner window near the entrance where he can hold court with a painting of his great grandmother in her debutante gown overlooking the room.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-brings-southern-cuisine-des-moines/75211146/

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone make it to the soft opening? Reviews?
I went Friday to a private soft open. The building is beautiful, the bar is elegant, the food is delicious, the beer flows out of the taps and down throats with ease. They're going to do very well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I went Friday to a private soft open. The building is beautiful, the bar is elegant, the food is delicious, the beer flows out of the taps and down throats with ease. They're going to do very well.
I went Saturday and agree 98%.
The 2% will be parking issues.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Was there Saturday and thought it was great. The only problem I had was not getting to try any Mr Hoppy Pants because they already ran out. I did however get some Saftig which was very good.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I watched the KSU game Saturday from The Iowa Tap Room. It was a GREAT bar. The only unfortunate thing was the kitchen wasn't running yet so I couldn't try the food.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I went Saturday and agree 98%.
The 2% will be parking issues.

Granted, it is in an urban environment so you're not going to be able to park in front of it like a suburban strip mall, but realistically there is very little nearby to compete with on-street parking most evenings.

I don't want to project what you're saying exactly, but walking 2-4 city blocks in a downtown setting to arrive at your destination does not equal "parking issues" (to anyone from outside of Iowa anyway). e.g...E. Court Avenue is 1 block to the south and has parking along both sides for 3 or 4 blocks.

I dont' know, but I'm guessing available on-street parking is one of the advantages these guy saw in picking this location.

Now...5-10 years down the road as things continue to develop nearby, that might change.

One day to Grand Opening...

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Granted, it is in an urban environment so you're not going to be able to park in front of it like a suburban strip mall, but realistically there is very little nearby to compete with on-street parking most evenings.

I don't want to project what you're saying exactly, but walking 2-4 city blocks in a downtown setting to arrive at your destination does not equal "parking issues" (to anyone from outside of Iowa anyway). e.g...E. Court Avenue is 1 block to the south and has parking along both sides for 3 or 4 blocks.

I dont' know, but I'm guessing available on-street parking is one of the advantages these guy saw in picking this location.

Now...5-10 years down the road as things continue to develop nearby, that might change.

One day to Grand Opening...

Three days ago I would have totally agreed with you. A couple of nights back just a block from there a guy was carjacked at 11:00 pm.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Three days ago I would have totally agreed with you. A couple of nights back just a block from there a guy was carjacked at 11:00 pm.

Well...it is generally a safe area and with more people milling around, comes additional safety too. The area has been a little desolate in the past, which is going way. This bar will keep steady flow of people around and there is a huge loft-style housing & Stay-bridge Suites going up on Walnut 1/2 block away. Not to mention the main cop shop is two blocks away.

I wouldn't be too worried about safety in this area going forward.

Help Support Us

Become a patron