MSNBC names Des Moines one of the top 10 places to live in US

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
hmmm....thats interesting.
DM is a nice city in all but im not quite sure it is a top ten.
No offense to anyone....i like the city just not a top ten.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
hmmm....thats interesting.
DM is a nice city in all but im not quite sure it is a top ten.
No offense to anyone....i like the city just not a top ten.

Probably depends on what your looking for in a city.

Low crime
No traffic issues
Decent schools
Plenty to do
Affordable housing
Low unemployment
Good food
Friendly people

On the bad side our weather is not good.

I'd rather live in the Des Moines area than either of these two below. Omaha is similar to Des Moines but I wouldn't rank it any higher.
Omaha is #5.
Houston is #4

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
i never want to live anywhere else.

I have lived in Denver, Kansas City, Peoria and some other places...at this stage of my life with a young child, its about as good as I have ever found.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Probably depends on what your looking for in a city.

Low crime
No traffic issues
Decent schools
Plenty to do
Affordable housing
Low unemployment
Good food
Friendly people

On the bad side our weather is not good.

I'd rather live in the Des Moines area than either of these two below. Omaha is similar to Des Moines but I wouldn't rank it any higher.
Omaha is #5.
Houston is #4
yeah i guess it depends on what you are looking for...

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Des Moines is solid for about 6 months out of the year. I'd definitely put it ahead of Omaha although I've always thought Omaha was a crappy place for some reason.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
i never want to live anywhere else.

I have lived in Denver, Kansas City, Peoria and some other places...at this stage of my life with a young child, its about as good as I have ever found.

Ewww, just reading that puts a bad smell in ma nose

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I don't know how Omaha was ranked so high, unless they were only looking at the new development areas... there are some scary places to be in Omaha, the crime rate and gang violence has been bad there for a while.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Having Houston on there that high is really what kills the cred in my opinion. But its nice to see Omaha and DSM get some good pub.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Austin at number 8. Suck it, Des Moines. :tongue::wink:

Although, I am perplexed at how it ended up behind San Antonio and Houston.

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
I've never been a big fan of Des Moines. Sorry to the folks that love it. I prefer rural communities. I'm 31 and I'm sure I would have had a heart attack by now if I continued to work and drive to Principal in downtown.

I've always loved the friendly atmosphere of Ames but since we moved to Roland I've really enjoyed the close community.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Maybe if u own a house boat. But yea i believe des moines and the metro area r a great place to live. Preferribly places like ankeny, johnston, w des moines. maybe not in des moines.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Des Moines is solid for about 6 months out of the year. I'd definitely put it ahead of Omaha although I've always thought Omaha was a crappy place for some reason.

Because it is in Nebraska.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
If you think driving to Principal in downtown is difficult, try driving to downtown Minneapolis, Chicago, or even Kansas City to go to and from work. People that have only lived or worked in Des Moines or smaller have no idea how good we have it in Des Moines. Sure, I prefer living in Ankeny more than I would in downtown Des Moines, I can see how DM would be a good place to live for all of the reasons listed by dmclone and more...

Help Support Us

Become a patron