Plug stuck in receptacle

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
What I love about electricity is it is predictable...like when I changed out all my outlets at my old house...I knew as long as I didn't touch the two wires, I could do it when the circuit hot...but electricity let me know immediately when the screwdriver touched wires together :)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So somehow Ms A got her flat iron plug stuck in our bathroom GFCI receptacle this am. I can't get it unstuck for the life of me and don't have time to deal with it before work. I shut the breaker off to that outlet so hopefully that should make me feel safer about it while I'm out of the house today, right? I'm assuming my only choice is prolly going to be replacing the outlet and smashing the old one to get the plug out? Thoughts?
If this whole thing is a metaphor you probably don't want to do the highlighted part.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
What I love about electricity is it is predictable...like when I changed out all my outlets at my old house...I knew as long as I didn't touch the two wires, I could do it when the circuit hot...but electricity let me know immediately when the screwdriver touched wires together :)

I also am always careful if I'm installing a ceiling fan or light as we all know if the switch is off, you are good...but with kids around, that'd be a heck of a wake up call if they flipped it on. :)

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
So I'm seeing stuff online about replacing GFCIs needing to know load and line and all this stuff? Is that only if I'm replacing a normal outlet with a new GFCI? I mean when I pulled the outlet out I saw 1 hot wire to gold, 1 neutral to silver and the ground. That will be all I'm up against right?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So I'm seeing stuff online about replacing GFCIs needing to know load and line and all this stuff? Is that only if I'm replacing a normal outlet with a new GFCI? I mean when I pulled the outlet out I saw 1 hot wire to gold, 1 neutral to silver and the ground. That will be all I'm up against right?

In the past when I've changed some out, I just look really close at how the old one was connected, and connect the new one in the same way.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

It's to do with the next outlet down the line. It would depend on how the original wiring was, really I suppose.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Have you tried lathering the plug in butter? It should make it slippery and slide right out.

If for some reason that doesn't work you could try like they do with stuck/rusted bolts and get the propane torch out and heat the plug till red hot and then throw water on it to cool quickly. The different rate of expansion should break it free.

Good luck!!

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
My question is why are you doing any of this? You're a renter, right? Get the landlord off their tush to do it.

Cuz I'm gonna go home, open a beer, pop my shirt off and do some man ****. Then Ms A will have no choice but to pleasure me on top of a mountain or on the back of a dragon or something.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Cuz I'm gonna go home, open a beer, pop my shirt off and do some man ****. Then Ms A will have no choice but to pleasure me on top of a mountain or on the back of a dragon or something.

Next you will be buying your own underwear.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So somehow Ms A got her flat iron plug stuck in our bathroom GFCI receptacle this am. I can't get it unstuck for the life of me and don't have time to deal with it before work. I shut the breaker off to that outlet so hopefully that should make me feel safer about it while I'm out of the house today, right? I'm assuming my only choice is prolly going to be replacing the outlet and smashing the old one to get the plug out? Thoughts?

I would like to see a dramatic re-enactment of this.

exAgqGa.gif