Needed: “player onlyâ€￾ team meeting!!!

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
I shared this in another thread, but in view of last night’s performance I felt it was worth mentioning again.

I have a friend with connections to a few NBA scouts, former assistants and the team. A while back we had an interesting discussion. Apparently, on multiple levels, it is believed the team has a few self-perceived alpha males who are or have been difficult to coach and/or are seemingly incessant whiners. It is believed their “tale wages the dog†attitude and actions have had a synergistically negative impact on team chemistry and performance. Hearing this the scout commented saying, “the NBA has the best athletes in the world playing a spectacular game better than it has ever been played before and we have almost zero-tolerance for pacifier prima donnas.†He went on to say one of the greatest constants in basketball is change. If you can’t accept changes in coaching staff, philosophies or positions played, you will almost certainly never make it in the NBA! It was interesting to hear it said that no other trait will help you if you are not humble enough to listen, learn and execute. Prior to that discussion, I hadn’t really considered that being coachable was almost as highly regarded as athletic ability.

With the comradery and team chemistry apparently being compromised in what was characterized as a “whiner vs winner†battle among teammates, it appears more coachable team leaders may have become frustrated with the whiners attitudes, actions and tale wages the dog displays. A former ISU assistant said the whiners on the team have been calling him to complain about the coaching changes and increased emphasis on defense among other things. This former assistant said, the arrogance and lack of willingness to be coached among some players has prompted a new strategy. Apparently, the coaches are now attempting to encourage, coach or direct certain “pacifier prima donnas or whiners†through handlers or other third party intermediaries rather than “mano e mano.â€

I left that discussion believing the arrogance and resistance to coaching directives has already greatly reduced the stock value of some of our players from a NBA perspective. From my chair, it appears the players need to wake up, assume the mantel of responsibility, call a “player only†team meeting and resolve the issues that are alleged to exist.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Re: “player onlyâ€￾ team meeting!!!

It's pretty simple to point out the selfish players and the non-selfish players.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Also, a players only meeting called on by any non-player is pointless. It would be nice if someone would step up and try and fix it, but the ego's may be too big for one man to fix. That one man being selfless Georges.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

synergistically negative

synergistically negative​

synergistically negative

synergistically negative

synergistically negative

synergistically negative

synergistically negative

synergistically negative

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

We need a "poster only" meeting to discuss the debbbie downer problem on this board!

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

The players who attack coaches on social media for taking them out of a game the team wins = selfish

Players who sit on the bench pouting because they aren't playing = selfish

Players who try and make it a one man show and refuse to pass = selfish

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I updated your thread title for you. As previously written it implied that there was a player's only team meeting.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

The players who attack coaches on social media for taking them out of a game the team wins = selfish

Let's just come out with it, we're talking about Stuart. Get it together, Stu.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

I've heard, from a (not nearly double digit) source, bad things about the same player you just mentioned. Complaining incessantly, showing up late to meetings...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Don't you think the players are/have been discussing these issues among themselves? Don't you think the players and the coach are also discussing what's going on? To think that these losses bother us as fans more than they do the players is simply shortsighted. At this level, you have to be competitive, or you won't survive. And I will guarantee you that none of us are as ****** off as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I really want to know exactly which players are the ones causing the issues. We can probably assume one of them is McKay, but I really want to know if Monte or Niang are one of them. I would be shocked if Niang is one of the guys.

The only person that I'm virtually certain isn't a whiner is Matt Thomas.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I shared this in another thread, but in view of last night’s performance I felt it was worth mentioning again.

I have a friend with connections to a few NBA scouts, former assistants and the team. A while back we had an interesting discussion. Apparently, on multiple levels, it is believed the team has a few self-perceived alpha males who are or have been difficult to coach and/or are seemingly incessant whiners. It is believed their “tale wages the dog” attitude and actions have had a synergistically negative impact on team chemistry and performance. Hearing this the scout commented saying, “the NBA has the best athletes in the world playing a spectacular game better than it has ever been played before and we have almost zero-tolerance for pacifier prima donnas.” He went on to say one of the greatest constants in basketball is change. If you can’t accept changes in coaching staff, philosophies or positions played, you will almost certainly never make it in the NBA! It was interesting to hear it said that no other trait will help you if you are not humble enough to listen, learn and execute. Prior to that discussion, I hadn’t really considered that being coachable was almost as highly regarded as athletic ability.

With the comradery and team chemistry apparently being compromised in what was characterized as a “whiner vs winner” battle among teammates, it appears more coachable team leaders may have become frustrated with the whiners attitudes, actions and tale wages the dog displays. A former ISU assistant said the whiners on the team have been calling him to complain about the coaching changes and increased emphasis on defense among other things. This former assistant said, the arrogance and lack of willingness to be coached among some players has prompted a new strategy. Apparently, the coaches are now attempting to encourage, coach or direct certain “pacifier prima donnas or whiners” through handlers or other third party intermediaries rather than “mano e mano.”

I left that discussion believing the arrogance and resistance to coaching directives has already greatly reduced the stock value of some of our players from a NBA perspective. From my chair, it appears the players need to wake up, assume the mantel of responsibility, call a “player only” team meeting and resolve the issues that are alleged to exist.

I don't know why I'm so dumb on your posts but I guess I'm confused if you're saying the former assistant is getting calls from the winners and disappointed in what he's hearing about others or getting the calls from the whiners. I hope the former assistant you are speaking of isn't Mann, because the dynamics within the staff and who would be coaching,etc., during the whole Holberg fiasco couldn't have been good for the players either. Not to mention him trying to talk a good pg into leaving ISU.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

We need a "poster only" meeting to discuss the debbbie downer problem on this board!

Have to admit this is the only thing that made me laugh today. We're a passionate group I guess.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012

I have a friend with connections to a few NBA scouts, former assistants and the team. A while back we had an interesting discussion. Apparently, on multiple levels, it is believed the team has a few self-perceived alpha males who are or have been difficult to coach and/or are seemingly incessant whiners. It is believed their “tale wages the dog” attitude and actions have had a synergistically negative impact on team chemistry and performance. Hearing this the scout commented saying, “the NBA has the best athletes in the world playing a spectacular game better than it has ever been played before and we have almost zero-tolerance for pacifier prima donnas.” He went on to say one of the greatest constants in basketball is change. If you can’t accept changes in coaching staff, philosophies or positions played, you will almost certainly never make it in the NBA! It was interesting to hear it said that no other trait will help you if you are not humble enough to listen, learn and execute. Prior to that discussion, I hadn’t really considered that being coachable was almost as highly regarded as athletic ability.

With the comradery and team chemistry apparently being compromised in what was characterized as a “whiner vs winner” battle among teammates, it appears more coachable team leaders may have become frustrated with the whiners attitudes, actions and tale wages the dog displays. A former ISU assistant said the whiners on the team have been calling him to complain about the coaching changes and increased emphasis on defense among other things. This former assistant said, the arrogance and lack of willingness to be coached among some players has prompted a new strategy. Apparently, the coaches are now attempting to encourage, coach or direct certain “pacifier prima donnas or whiners” through handlers or other third party intermediaries rather than “mano e mano.”

I left that discussion believing the arrogance and resistance to coaching directives has already greatly reduced the stock value of some of our players from a NBA perspective. From my chair, it appears the players need to wake up, assume the mantel of responsibility, call a “player only” team meeting and resolve the issues that are alleged to exist.

attachment.php

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,447

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I really want to know exactly which players are the ones causing the issues. We can probably assume one of them is McKay, but I really want to know if Monte or Niang are one of them. I would be shocked if Niang is one of the guys.

The only person that I'm virtually certain isn't a whiner is Matt Thomas.

Probably the one blowing off the coach when he wants a timeout.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Would Randy Pete be allowed to report on this meeting? That way we would all really know what happened...right? :eek:

Reactions: CTTB78