REPORT: Campbell bringing OC, O-Line coaches with him to ISU

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
First of all The Big XII is big boy football. Recruiting in the MAC doesn't necessarily translate to successful P5 recruiting. And one of those top recruits you mention had I believe only MAC school offers.

Ohio isn't going to become fertile recruiting ground for ISU or any other Big XII school. If you actually believe that it will, you're delusional. Ohio's Big Ten country; and always will be.

Our recruiting needs to be Texas-centric obviously. I would've liked for our OC to be a Texas guy with recruiting experience in the state. If that makes me an idiot, then whatever...

What a ridiculous statement that Ohio can't be fertile recruiting area. By that "logic" (and I use the term loosely), we would never have any Florida recruits on the team. In fact, you can make the argument that Ohio kids are more likely to come to ISU than Florida kids since the weather in Iowa and Ohio is similar and, therefore, not as much of a deterrent. However, we all know that hasn't been the case as we've successfully recruited Florida in the past.

Yes, MAC recruiting doesn't necessarily translate into Big XII recruiting. However, the recruiting has been better than ISU's, and with less facilities or the draw of playing in a P5 conference. As many have already pointed out in this thread, being able to recruit at Toledo speaks much more to the abilities of their staff than does recruiting less effectively at ISU. So what if one of the recruits only has MAC offers? Many of the players currently on the team didn't have P5 offers.

Finally, 3 staff members does not equal a full staff. I fully anticipate Campbell will hire recruiter(s) with Texas connections.

So, your absolute comments re: what will happen in the future at this point ARE idiotic. Successful recruiting is as much about connections as it is about geography.
However, I would never call you an "idiot;" those were your words.:spinny:

Last edited:

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
I think the "recruiting Texas" thing is overblown. ISU has not and will not consistently get even the second tier of players from Texas. For all of the talk of the importance of Texas recruiting, look back through the last 5-6 recruiting classes. How many starters/impact players have the Clones gotten from Texas? I only see Jared Brackins and Oni Omoile (as well as a few young guys who shouldn't be written off). Granted, part of that is the reason for Rhoads' failure, but Texas high school players have a reputation for being less likely to go away to school than players in Florida and California and more likely to return to Texas homesick. Paul Rhoads' experience recruiting Texas did nothing to tarnish that reputation. His Texas classes were full of washouts and guys who didn't have Big 12 talent or didn't develop.

I'd like to see us have a recruiter focused on the Dallas area (I believe this was Ayeni under the prior regime) and one on the Houston area, but not waste too many resources heavily recruiting Texas. IMO, Campbell's staff needs to be much better than Rhoads' staff at recruiting Iowa and the surrounding states, and then they need to heavily recruit Florida, California and JUCOs (the sources of nearly all of our impact players), and, if their connections allow for it, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Is the staff fully filled?

Makes sense that these early hires are people who Matt Campbell has worked with and knows well. Campbell may be interested in adding a coach with the ties you are suggesting. But those would likely take some time to fill and would probably include an interview process and several candidates.

IMO, it would be more prudent to actually wait and see who is on the entire staff before making these contrarian opinions. Contrarian opinions are premature at this point. Why be negative at this early juncture?

I'm just not crazy about this hire, that's why I'm being a little negative. But the same could be said for the sunshine pumpers in this thread proclaiming MC as the greatest ISU football coach ever. With our ineptitude in football under JP, why should I be crazy positive?

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and MC wins a bunch of games and takes ISU to the next level. We'll see...

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a feeling these young recruiters won't be telling us how Ames needs an international airport to properly recruit.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm just not crazy about this hire, that's why I'm being a little negative. But the same could be said for the sunshine pumpers in this thread proclaiming MC as the greatest ISU football coach ever. With our ineptitude in football under JP, why should I be crazy positive?

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and MC wins a bunch of games and takes ISU to the next level. We'll see...

Who had the under on first reference to "MC sunshine pumpers?" Line was set at end of first Oklahoma game.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Seriously? Sunshine pumpers? It's day two of the regime. This is honeymoon time. The negativity just makes you look like "a idiot."

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Manning was a must, and a very good hire regardless. Ayeni is obviously a huge asset, plus is a great bridge in the transition. I would prefer if we went out and bought ourselves an OC, but Candle (if he comes) would provide critical continuity which is likely more important in the first year or two.

Campbell, Manning, Candle, and Ayeni would give us a great nucleus of guys on the same page for what they need/want in recruiting and what/how they are going to do about developing those recruits into a competent offense. Did we ever have that under Rhoads? If we did it was always fleeting, and did not happen from the start.

Imo I'd be fine if Eggers was kept too for the other side of the ball.

Very good start.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Iowa state needs to recruit the best players they can get wherever then can get them plain and simple. It's not like the coaches we get are maxed out and can't start recruiting new areas.

What happens when some years those schools you have recruiting ties with don't have good players? You just stop recruiting?

No. You look somewhere else. How do you think they get recruiting ties in the first place?

Good recruiters can get recruites reguardless of where they go.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Let's all remember this thread as well as the recruits that Campbell is trying to get to follow him to ISU. If down the road he is successful at ISU and moves on we shouldn't be surprised or upset if he takes what he can with him in the form of assistant coaches and recruits. That is just the way the game is played. There is nothing wrong with him doing it to Toledo just like there would be nothing wrong with him doing it to ISU.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Well, maybe don't fill your pants until the staff is filled out.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

No you don't. It's clear you really, really don't.

And in the interest of transparency I was hoping CPR would make his firing a no-brainer by losing out as well. Not proud of that because of the impact on the kids, but I do own it.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ohio needs to be recruited. There are a lot of really good football players in that state and we can get some of them. Now, we have to be selective and realize when a guy isn't going to come here because he wants the B1G but we need to have a presence there. That was one thing I never understood about Rhoads' recruiting. That state is probably the 4th or 5th best state to recruit in. If you can pull from Florida, you can pull from Ohio.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

And in the interest of transparency I was hoping CPR would make his firing a no-brainer by losing out as well. Not proud of that because of the impact on the kids, but I do own it.

I have no idea what you're even talking about. There must be hidden meanings in my posts that only you are aware of. Get over yourself.

Here's a news flash for ya': not all ISU fans march in perfect lockstep. Some of the posters on this site apparently are clueless to this fact...

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Well, maybe don't fill your pants until the staff is filled out.

Will do, chief. And while we're at it how about we stop proclaiming MC to be Lombardi/Halas/Rockne combined until he coaches a few actual games in a P5 conference...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I have no idea what you're even talking about. There must be hidden meanings in my posts that only you are aware of. Get over yourself.

Here's a news flash for ya': not all ISU fans march in perfect lockstep. Some of the posters on this site apparently are clueless to this fact...

Will do, chief. And while we're at it how about we stop proclaiming MC to be Lombardi/Halas/Rockne combined until he coaches a few actual games in a P5 conference...

too_much_salt_360.jpg

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX

You tell em bro. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!!! Where's my weed...

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Who had the under on first reference to "MC sunshine pumpers?" Line was set at end of first Oklahoma game.

So wait, are you saying that I may have made someone a bundle on a proposition bet by referencing "MC sunshine pumpers." Fantastic! If so, then reading all the personal attack posts that had nothing to do with anything I actually said was well worth it...