Which movie best represents its era...

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Which of the below movies do you thinks best represents the time period of high school during that era? The choices are:
60's - American Graffiti
70's - Dazed & Confused
80's - Fast Times at Ridgemont High
90's - Clueless

My personal fave is Dazed & Confused. Great movie and great soundtrack. If anyone wants to add a poll, please do so...

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Fast Times was a tad bit early in the 80s to represent it too much...but I LOVE the movie! I always thought "Say Anything" was a classic representation of the 80s...although that was a bit late in the 80s to represent the early part of that decade. "Say Anything" is a great movie as well.

Would "The Breakfast Club" be a good representation of the 80s?

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Fast Times was a tad bit early in the 80s to represent it too much...but I LOVE the movie! I always thought "Say Anything" was a classic representation of the 80s...although that was a bit late in the 80s to represent the early part of that decade. "Say Anything" is a great movie as well.

Would "The Breakfast Club" be a good representation of the 80s?

Both very good, but I went with Fast Times due to the previous thread about the song and its wider ensemble of cast included in the storyline.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Oh yeah...and "Clueless" might represent the current decade we are in as well! Or am I being too harsh?

Well for Iowa, probably since we do seem to be behind the social curve many times, but no, otherwise I'd say it truely represents the 90's.:biglaugh:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Both very good, but I went with Fast Times due to the previous thread about the song and its wider ensemble of cast included in the storyline.

I agree with your position. It is weird that a 7 year period now doesn't seem that long to me...but growing up in the 80s (graduated from HS in 1989) the years between 1981 and say 1988 seem like two different lifetimes! But 2001 to now seems like yesterday...ah...I am truly getting old...

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
For me, the 1980's were perfectly summed up by the movie Big Trouble in Little China. There can be no other answer for this. At that time myself, along with most of the other kids in america where all caught up in the Chinese culture. Who here didn't take throwing stars with them to school everyday in their backpacks? I know I did. How many countless kids cut themselves when trying to flip open a butterfly knife just like the Lords of Death gang member in the movie?

Along with the Chinese parts, another major sub-plot in the great movie was the trucking industry. In the 1980's our countries economy was at an all time high. The trucking industry in America played a HUGE part in that. Which one of us can't remember good ol' Jack Burton sitting there in his truck talking away on his CB.

Also, in the 1980's, America had a ton of bad weather. Hello! The ancient Chinese warriors, The Three Storms, were the perfect metaphor. They seemed invincible at first, just like the real weather here in America. At the end of the movie, however, they were beaten by Jack and Wang, just like in real life, Ronald Regan beat the bad weather.

There can be no other answer.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
For me, the 1980's were perfectly summed up by the movie Big Trouble in Little China. There can be no other answer for this. At that time myself, along with most of the other kids in america where all caught up in the Chinese culture. Who here didn't take throwing stars with them to school everyday in their backpacks? I know I did. How many countless kids cut themselves when trying to flip open a butterfly knife just like the Lords of Death gang member in the movie?

Along with the Chinese parts, another major sub-plot in the great movie was the trucking industry. In the 1980's our countries economy was at an all time high. The trucking industry in America played a HUGE part in that. Which one of us can't remember good ol' Jack Burton sitting there in his truck talking away on his CB.

Also, in the 1980's, America had a ton of bad weather. Hello! The ancient Chinese warriors, The Three Storms, were the perfect metaphor. They seemed invincible at first, just like the real weather here in America. At the end of the movie, however, they were beaten by Jack and Wang, just like in real life, Ronald Regan beat the bad weather.

There can be no other answer.

Great. On the floor here. "This is the Pork Chop Express..."

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I might add The Deer Hunter and Big Wednesday for the 70s. They both have Vietnam subplots, Deer Hunter moreso that BW. They really capture what I imagine (I was only born in the early 70s) two regions, Deer Hunter in the industrial Northeast and BW with Southern Cal, went through during that time.

I cant' come up with a better 80s film than Fast Times, but there are certainly others already mentioned that would be solid choices as well. I might add Summer School or The Goonies.

I kind of stopped caring by the time the 90s came along, but The Big Lebowski and Clerks stand out for me.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Which of the below movies do you thinks best represents the time period of high school during that era? The choices are:
60's - American Graffiti
70's - Dazed & Confused
80's - Fast Times at Ridgemont High
90's - Clueless

My personal fave is Dazed & Confused. Great movie and great soundtrack. If anyone wants to add a poll, please do so...

This has to be some type of mistake!!! To not include "Risky Business" is darn near Communist!

"Time of your life, huh kid"

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I think I'd have to go with "The Sandlot" - at least for the early 60's. "The Big Chill" has to fit somewhere in the 70's.

"Fandango" for the late 60's.

Last edited:

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
1950's Back to the Future Greese
1960's Peggy Sue got married 1969
1970's Rocky
1980's About Last Night All the Right Moves

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
90s, Reality Bites should probably be in there even though I don't like it.