***Official B12 Expansion/Implosion Thread 3.0???***

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The Big 12 needs to undertake expansion for 2016 or the Big 12 will go away, and schools such as ISU and KSU will no longer be in power 5 land. Delaney in the Big 10 wants KU. The SEC wants OU & OSU. It is time to get off our haughtiness and do what it takes to disband the Longhorn network and do the mega conference thing now before we demise. Add San Diego State, Colorado State, BYU, Memphis, UCF, Cincinnati. Go to 16 teams, 2 or 4 divisions, and beat the rest to the punch, provide some geographic identity in markets that can bring in more money to yes be divided among 16, but more money for more teams. Otherwise Mr. Pollard should be trying to establish a new POWER 6 CONFERENCE.

xi8TSkT.gif

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Is there a chance when this thing all falls apart that the Pac12 or the ACC invites ISU. I mean, it gives both of them a new media market if thats what they are after. No different than the Big12 going after Colorado State or Tulane. I'd have to think a KSU/ISU/OSU/WVU combo to the ACC to match with some of their eastern schools (ND and Louisville) would be kind of interesting. Get to an 18 team conference with 9 teams in a sub?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Being a Notre Dame alum and growing up a huge Cyclone fan, my dream scenario is this:

The ACC schools challenge the GOR and 6 teams join the Big 12 to make a Big 16. Imagine the Big 12 poaching Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami, Louisville and Notre Dame. Add them to blue bloods like Texas and Oklahoma along with TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma State and our conference would be incredible. Basketball would get a little help with Louisville and Notre Dame but our conference recruiting footprint in football would extend from Texas to Florida to South Carolina and Virginia.

The 9 remaining ACC schools could form a basketball primary conference similar to the Big East with the four Carolina schools, Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. 7 of these 9 are in the lower half of football attendance in the ACC already.

And just for fun, an East-West split of the new 16 team league:

West: Texas, TT, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, OSU, Kansas, KSU
East: Florida St, Clemson, Miami, VT, Louisville, WVU, ND, ISU

First, you're dreaming with Notre Dame. They are going to hold out of joining a football conference for as long as they can, and I doubt an ACC implosion forces their hand. Basically, you would be picking up ND under a similar deal that they have with the ACC - 5 out-of-conference games and joining for basketball. Color me not excited for that proposition.

As a result, you still need one more school. I would offer up North Carolina State. There are a lot of televisions in North Carolina, and while the Big 10 and SEC are fighting over the rights to UNC, NCST is ripe for the picking for the Big 12. And once you've added the states of Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky to what we already have in Texas, Oklahoma, and Iowa (plus the KC market), it's on par with what the SEC has.

That, or go after Georgia Tech.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The Big 12 needs to undertake expansion for 2016 or the Big 12 will go away, and schools such as ISU and KSU will no longer be in power 5 land. Delaney in the Big 10 wants KU. The SEC wants OU & OSU. It is time to get off our haughtiness and do what it takes to disband the Longhorn network and do the mega conference thing now before we demise. Add San Diego State, Colorado State, BYU, Memphis, UCF, Cincinnati. Go to 16 teams, 2 or 4 divisions, and beat the rest to the punch, provide some geographic identity in markets that can bring in more money to yes be divided among 16, but more money for more teams. Otherwise Mr. Pollard should be trying to establish a new POWER 6 CONFERENCE.

So your solution to the problem you're inventing is for ISU to challenge the Grant of Rights, punt the whole Big 12 thing we fought to keep together, and gamble on a new conference with a bunch of mid-major teams to bring in comparable TV money to somehow offset the money we forfeit by leaving the Big 12.

And even then, the money doesn't offset anything for us, since our TV rights belong to the Big 12, barring a record-breaking upsurge in cyclones.tv subscriptions.

Good plan. This sounds like a winning solution. Let's throw that weight around.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Probably not because that's moot. They just wouldnt have any rights to their own TV broadcasts, which would make them nearly worthless to another conference.

Actually the teams would still own their third tier rights. So LHN would still bring in money for Texas and Sooner network would bring in cash for OU. They would each own a football game and a few basketball games.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Is there a chance when this thing all falls apart that the Pac12 or the ACC invites ISU. I mean, it gives both of them a new media market if thats what they are after. No different than the Big12 going after Colorado State or Tulane. I'd have to think a KSU/ISU/OSU/WVU combo to the ACC to match with some of their eastern schools (ND and Louisville) would be kind of interesting. Get to an 18 team conference with 9 teams in a sub?

I was going to type something similar to this. ISU would give one of those conferences the eyeballs of Iowa. Doesn't matter how many care about ISU. Look at Rutgers, same thing just a smaller market size obviously.

In addition to eyeballs you need to bring in ad $'s. Principal would love to advertise more in either of those markets. (Pac or ACC)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

The stupidity in this and the rest of other pro-expansion posts is unreal.

The pro-expansionists have no frickin clue that the conferences cannot unilaterally add schools and expect that ESPN and Fox are willing to pay each added school over $25M/yr. Both networks are currently in the process of slashing other expenses in order to help pay off their existing TV deals so the last thing they'll do is add schools and game inventory that comes nowhere close to adding $25M/yr of value to the networks and conferences.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I think the three secure conferences (Pac, B1G & SEC) will remain that way with the Pac eventually adding UT & OU which we all know Larry Scott wanted to do.

I think an ACC/Big 12 merger makes a lot of sense because even if the prime targets get swallowed up (OU, UT, UVa, UNC) the remaining ACC/Big 12 teams would still be a compelling conference.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
5 years ago is an eternity on college basketball. In the past few seasons, the Big Ten has been right there with the ACC...both lagging behind the Big 12.

Are you serious? The B12 is only considered good in basketball in B12 country. Everyone else pretty much thinks we're a joke. You can't have a serious conference when only one team has done anything significant in the tourney, and is the conference champion every year for well over a decade.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Are you serious? The B12 is only considered good in basketball in B12 country. Everyone else pretty much thinks we're a joke. You can't have a serious conference when only one team has done anything significant in the tourney, and is the conference champion every year for well over a decade.

Maybe you should mail a strongly worded letter to this guy, all of these guys, and someone called Ken Pomeroy telling them how wrong they are.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Maybe you should mail a strongly worded letter to this guy, all of these guys, and someone called Ken Pomeroy telling them how wrong they are.

All those things you link to were written in December/January of last season. By the end of last season I doubt anyone objective would've said the Big 12 was the best. It didn't have a single top-10 team in last year's final rankings, its highest was 13th and that was Oklahoma. It got 7 teams into the tourney which is impressive, but their record was 5-7 with none getting past the Sweet Sixteen. The Big 12 has been doing well the last few years and has had some good depth, but it's also up against long term perceptions that it's not at the level of other conferences. There hasn't been a Big 12/Big 8 team not named "Kansas" that's even played for a national championship since 1988.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

All those things you link to were written in December/January of last season. By the end of last season I doubt anyone objective would've said the Big 12 was the best. QUOTE]

Guys,

Of all the things that are pertinent to realignment bball is down the list a bit. Maybe continue this w/ PMs?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
At what point do we get to turn this into a Spiderman thread? There's no expansion news at all, the OP just wanted to get in on the ground floor in case something happened. We haven't had a good Spiderman thread lately, and CyTheBird came within a hairs breadth of penning an open letter. This thread has no place to go but spidery.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
At what point do we get to turn this into a Spiderman thread? There's no expansion news at all, the OP just wanted to get in on the ground floor in case something happened. We haven't had a good Spiderman thread lately, and CyTheBird came within a hairs breadth of penning an open letter. This thread has no place to go but spidery.

I know its' not news but the OU president has expressed that our conference is at a "psychological disadvantage" w/o 12 teams and a CCG. Maybe its' not important but it seems kind of important to me.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know its' not news but the OU president has expressed that our conference is at a "psychological disadvantage" w/o 12 teams and a CCG. Maybe its' not important but it seems kind of important to me.

Legit stories to me in order:
1. We have one member on the playoff committee, a TTech AD with no name recognition. Other conference have 2 or 3 including some college football legends. This is a clear disadvantage regardless of how many teams or CCG we have.

2. OU president talking about how adding two teams wouldn't hurt the $ divide like people said a few months ago.

The rest is fun but baseless speculation.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The OU prez likes the sound of his voice. Take that into consideration, as you try to uncover the meaning of his words.

This is true, which is why my #2 real issue is a distant #2. It's just one guy who said one thing, and one somewhat prideful guy. There's really only one clear major WTF issue when it comes to our conference stability right now and nobody mentions the elephant n the room. It's plain as day, yet not brought up.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This is true, which is why my #2 real issue is a distant #2. It's just one guy who said one thing, and one somewhat prideful guy. There's really only one clear major WTF issue when it comes to our conference stability right now and nobody mentions the elephant n the room. It's plain as day, yet not brought up.

Wait, what? You mean the committee?

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
It's news no doubt, some play a blind eye. This conference is full of band aids.