*** ASST. COACH SEARCH THREAD: Wed, June 10th ***

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Great staff, in my opinion. Otz keeps us with a foot in the north and the others open up some doors in the south. Grow our recruiting footprint. Awesome.

clonefan24

Feb 4, 2014
Really like the staff... Hope otz stays for longer than a year. I was honestly never too big of a fan of Mann, maybe he can now focus his time on rapping

I'm really happy with the staff, especially considering this all was happening in mid June. I really believe Mann is undervalued by this fan base though. There's a reason why he was on Holberg's staff so long.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Any guesses on why Prohm would prefer Robinson over Mann? I don't have any opinion if it was a good or bad choice...just wondering what might be the logic there.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Guess I don't see how he takes the ISU job knowing that Hoiberg was probably going to the NBA. Just don't see him coming here from a year and the taking off to another school.

Now that he has made the commitment to stay (at least this year), I could see him staying till he gets a head coaching job. That could be as soon as next year if we have the year we are hoping to.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Because Monte's not going to turn into a big baby over this and make career decisions based on Mann, IMO.

This is big time athletics. Coaches come and go. It will be more of the same or worse in the NBA.

Prohm has already developed good report with these guys, and has enough credibility to provide guidance to Monte over the next 1-2 years.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Any guesses on why Prohm would prefer Robinson over Mann? I don't have any opinion if it was a good or bad choice...just wondering what might be the logic there.

I think to some degree you can't keep so many of the old staff on. You have to bring guys in that are yours.

He kept Micah Byers and TJ, and brought two of his own guys in and another guy for his special assistant position.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You have to give TJ credit also; he has now stayed over through 2 coaching changes at ISU. That speaks well to his reputation and likability.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Because Monte's not going to turn into a big baby over this and make career decisions based on Mann, IMO.

This is big time athletics. Coaches come and go. It will be more of the same or worse in the NBA.

Prohm has already developed good report with these guys, and has enough credibility to provide guidance to Monte over the next 1-2 years.

You are reading so far into that tweet it's absurd.

Hines never said he couldn't do any of that. In fact, I'm sure he's said that Prohm has a ton of success with other PGs and pointed it out as a positive.

It's a valid point to point out that Monte might not be super happy with the guy who recruited him and who has been his coach for 2 years getting canned. He never said he was going to transfer or go pro no matter what because he was so ****** off.

Calm down.

Apr 19, 2006
Robinson, a GMAC guy, over Mann is pretty puzzling...

Glad Otz stayed though.

Were TJ and Robinson on GMac's staff at the same time? If so, I would assume it has more to do with TJ and Robinson having a better relationship then Mann and TJ, just guessing.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
TJ continues to rock it in the Midwest and eastern prep schools. Robinson focuses on Chicago and the Juco circuit. Prohm and Small take care of the southern states. Sounds perfect to me!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Should be a good staff for recruiting, and Prohm is supposed to be good with coaching guards, and Small with coaching the bigs. I'm a little concerned about Robinson considering his previous time at ISU, but maybe he has learned his lesson. He should be a good contact for the junior colleges, and maybe the Midwest. TJ good for the Midwest, and continuity.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Should be a pretty good recruiting staff.

Prohm should probably be sure to form a relationship with Otz's recruits, though, in case he (Otz) leaves.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Anything specific, or just because he was on McDermott's staff?
Mostly just because of his time on GMac's staff. ISU had good talent then, but didn't know what to do with it, plus all of the locker room turmoil that allegedly existed, players transferring out, etc. Was not exactly ISU's shining moment in basketball, but then TJ was part of that staff too.....at least he had a chance to work under Fred after that.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If we recruit the city of chicago I hope we go for people who actually make the allcity teams...unlike fran.

Help Support Us

Become a patron