*** ASST. COACH SEARCH THREAD: Wed, June 10th ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Daniyal Robinson has a rep as a good front line coach and connections in the Chicago area. Our Chicago recruiting might benefit from this and the Hoiberg exposure.
interedting take. His Loyola page also talks about community involvement which fits the culture CSP espouses.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Robinson doesn't seem like a good hire but I guess we will see.

Maybe not sexy big name assistant but let's face it there are limited options at this point of the offseason. Prohm was on record wanting an assistant with connections to Illinois and Junior College recruiting and Robinson fits the profile probably only strengthened by his last job plus has previous experience with ISU culture.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If we have the kind of year everyone thinks we will next year, I'm guessing we will get TJ for one year as he should get a head coaching gig. But glad to have him back for next year.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
People who know each other apply for the same position often. Working together after someone gets the job is what being an adult is about.

Heck, who knows.... hopefully they can become good friends. They can both enjoy a winning team, both have young wives with about the same age babies, and both are used to being in communities that are college towns that embrace their mens basketball team.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think the "tension" over being up for the same job gets way overplayed.
These guys know how this stuff works, they'll be fine (if somehow they're not, well, it's on to the next job).

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Whether Monte goes to the draft after this year probably will have more to do with his draft projections than who we have as coach. Losing Mann probably doesn't help our chances with Bridges but I'm happy with the staff anyways.

MM isn't going anywhere. These things happen and he's an adult and knew it was possible. MM now has a HC who has put to PGs in the NBA and a soon to be lottery pick. MM is probably giddy right now. WTS, I doubt he declares after this year. I'm sure he might want to but most draft boards have him going in 2017. Things could change obviously.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Daniyal Robinson has a rep as a good front line coach and connections in the Chicago area. Our Chicago recruiting might benefit from this and the Hoiberg exposure.
This is actually a very under discussed point imo. Unlike Floyd or really any other person maybe in ISU's history Fred's brand is tied to Iowa State. Every young baller in Chicago is watching the bulls following Fred on twitter now, will see/hear how he started as a ball boy at Iowa State and became the Mayor in coverage of the Bulls. If he is liked in Chicago (which I think he will) bringing in a fun style, it can only help our recruiting there. Sure it is a difficult place to recruit but our brand identity is at an all time high there now so it is critical to have a guy who can capitalize on it with his connections to local coaches and who has relationships with local talent. Even talent that was out of reach for him recruiting for Loyola.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is actually a very under discussed point imo. Unlike Floyd or really any other person maybe in ISU's history Fred's brand is tied to Iowa State. Every young baller in Chicago is watching the bulls following Fred on twitter now, will see/hear how he started as a ball boy at Iowa State and became the Mayor in coverage of the Bulls. If he is liked in Chicago (which I think he will) bringing in a fun style, it can only help our recruiting there. Sure it is a difficult place to recruit but our brand identity is at an all time high there now so it is critical to have a guy who can capitalize on it with his connections to local coaches and who has relationships with local talent. Even talent that was out of reach for him recruiting for Loyola.

It won't be difficult to improve on our Illinois recruiting.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Jeff Goodman tweeted this one hour ago. You're late to the party, Jeff.

@GoodmanESPN: Iowa State assistant T.J. Otzelberger will remain on Steve Prohm’s staff, sources told ESPN.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It probably has been mentioned, but this staff means that none of the coaches from last year's team are returning. That will be an adjustment for the players. I hope this new staff can keep making the style of play exciting and fun to watch.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It probably has been mentioned, but this staff means that none of the coaches from last year's team are returning. That will be an adjustment for the players. I hope this new staff can keep making the style of play exciting and fun to watch.

Micah staying will help a lot plus they're familiar with TJ

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Micah staying will help a lot plus they're familiar with TJ

I believe the concern was with style of play more than familiarity, but IMO the assistants had little to with that. Hoiball is Hoiberg. TJ has just as much ability to help maintain Hoiball than Mann, Abdelmassih. In terms of maintaining Hoiball, Henry is the only loss IMO.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Based on?

His resume. I mean the guy went from Iowa State to Houston then to Loyola. Not exactly a good career trajectory.
At least Small you can understand bc he worked with Prohm. This hire just feels like Prohm wants to recruit Illinois and Robinson was the only person he could get. Not that I thought Mann should have gotten it but i can see why people were less than impressed with who his staff would be.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Robinson is a better recruiter than Mann, but more importantly he coaches Bigs and defense. We needed a coach like that.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@AlexHalsted: Prohm on his staff: "I think we're well-rounded to our recruiting base... To the south, to the Midwest to the JUCO players."

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Robinson is a better recruiter than Mann, but more importantly he coaches Bigs and defense. We needed a coach like that.

Why do you think Robinson is better than Mann? All those great players he he getting at Loyola? Also, why did they need a specific bigs coach? From what I have seen McKay, Niang, Ejim, have all been done pretty well.