List of potential replacements should Fred Hoiberg leave

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'll throw a new name out here...Greg Gard, Associate Head Coach from Wisconsin.

Obviously, a very similar resume and profile to Dwayne Stephens from Michigan State. He's had a chance to work next to a future Hall of Famer in Bo Ryan and has been an integral part of a program that evolved from one respected regionally in the Midwest to an elite national program (IMO). Plus, he would likely keep our Wisconsin recruiting pipeline, such as it is, intact. I think we could do a lot worse than Gard.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/greg_gard_482328.html

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
Whoever replaces Fred, they better run an up-tempo system or Ill be upset. None of the slow it down, grind it out bs.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
A lot of good gets on that list. Get the right assistants and we won't see a dropoff. TJ with his own Abdelmassih and Lutz is a heck of a fall back IMO.

Fred's high-level program "business plan" was excellent and his ability to dictate mismatches unequalled, but there are many ways to win. And clearly we have been somewhat constipated in recruiting with the likely NBA consideration an annual event.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Whoever replaces Fred, they better run an up-tempo system or Ill be upset. None of the slow it down, grind it out bs.

If someone brought in another style and took us to a final eight or final four would you be that upset? Don't get me wrong i love the up-tempo style, but I just want to win. And if that means we have to sacrifice a bit of tempo to play better D I'm in. As long as we win!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I'll throw a new name out here...Greg Gard, Associate Head Coach from Wisconsin.

Obviously, a very similar resume and profile to Dwayne Stephens from Michigan State. He's had a chance to work next to a future Hall of Famer in Bo Ryan and has been an integral part of a program that evolved from one respected regionally in the Midwest to an elite national program (IMO). Plus, he would likely keep our Wisconsin recruiting pipeline, such as it is, intact. I think we could do a lot worse than Gard.

The only current assistant coach that has any chance of being hired to replace Fred is TJ.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Too bad Buzz Williams wasn't still at Marquette and wanting out this year.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Little known up and coming coach Ted Roiberg. I've heard good things, plus it is rumored he once traveled on tour with the Doobie Brothers
attachment.php

Attachments

• fred-hoiberg-4_3.jpg
    fred-hoiberg-4_3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 884

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If someone brought in another style and took us to a final eight or final four would you be that upset? Don't get me wrong i love the up-tempo style, but I just want to win. And if that means we have to sacrifice a bit of tempo to play better D I'm in. As long as we win!

Exactly correct; nobody complained after Floyd replaced Johnny.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Just trust him! If you only knew, well ... you'd know!

So right. I just hope this means that all of us who have no idea what is going on behind the curtain are going to be shocked with the great hire that Jamie is currently hours away from signing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron