Hoiberg the TO bully

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
This is a partial fallacy. Points are no more important at the end of the game than they are anywhere else. The difference is at the end of the game time is of the essence, creating less chances to make up for mistakes and missed opportunities.

The key with timeouts is to MAXIMIZE their usage (I can't emphasize this enough). If per se, you are on the road and are with the crowd going nuts in the midst of a 6-0 and you have the ball trapped on the sideline, I'd hope Hoiberg (any coach) would have the presence of mind to call a timeout as that possession is critical. Meanwhile, having a stockpile of timeouts when having passed over several similar opportunities is nothing short of mismanagement.

While I'm not a Scott Drew fan (thee of having called several timeouts in the midst of his OWN TEAM'S runs), I don't think having no timeouts at the end of the game is an indictment....if they were used properly. It's the senseless usage of said timeouts and/or the failure to recognize their importance that's the bigger issue.

In today's case there really weren't a lot of instances (maybe one I can think of) where Fred should have called a timeout (in other words I though he did fine in that regard today). That doesn't mean however, that Fred isn't poor in this regard. It's an area (just like a lot of coaches) that he needs to work on.

This is a partial fallacy. Points are no more important at this juncture in the game than they are anywhere else.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Fred likes to press the pace and keep pressure on the opponent by scoring. I love it. It is the future of how basketball should be played. My beef with the game of basketball is that it rewards fouling. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have it like hockey where you actually penalize the player the first time not the fifth time they foul.

But hey, it's the game, and how it is designed so I will live with it. I'd love at a minimum a 24 second shot clock.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Fred-Hoiberg.jpg

Caption this photo...
hoiberg = illuminati

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Exactly what facts did you bring to the argument? I've seen others post records to support their argument. Yours? Just anecdotal analysis.

Records? What support do records bring for timeout management? Absolutely zero.

One of the most egregious misuse of timeouts I've ever seen cam at AFH a few years ago when McLemore banked in the 3. In the last minute or minute and a half of that game, Ejim (I believe) had a crucial TO in which Hoiberg failed to utilize a timeout to preserve possesion, despite having 3. After the crowd had went nuts in sending the game into OT, McLemore hits a 3 to start it. This should have been another IMMEDIATE timeout, instead Fred waits to go NINE down in OT on the ROAD before using one of his 3 remaining timeouts. While this is one of his worst offenses, it's a demonstration of the type of TO management Fred has maintained during games. The game at West Virginia was another example of poor TO usage down the stretch (going off of memory).

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

One of the most egregious misuse of timeouts I've ever seen cam at AFH a few years ago when McLemore banked in the 3. In the last minute or minute and a half of that game, Ejim (I believe) had a crucial TO in which Hoiberg failed to utilize a timeout to preserve possesion, despite having 3. After the crowd had went nuts in sending the game into OT, McLemore hits a 3 to start it. This should have been another IMMEDIATE timeout, instead Fred waits to go NINE down in OT on the ROAD before using one of his 3 remaining timeouts. While this is one of his worst offenses, it's a demonstration of the type of TO management Fred has maintained during games. The game at West Virginia was another example of poor TO usage down the stretch (going off of memory).

WTF?! 2Couch, is that you?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Knowing Fred's background and analytical approach, I almost wonder if he doesn't have some sort of statistical evidence that the effect of TOs in stopping opponent runs is overblown. It just seems too obvious a thing to think he hasn't changed his philosophy solely out of stubbornness or not learning his lesson.

Considering that he seemed oblivious to the mountain of stats supporting fouling when holding a 3 point lead (on a late opponent possession), I highly doubt it.

That's not stated as a jab, rather that he (admittedly) wasn't aware once that was presented to him.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

I didn't say if they were useful facts, just that they were facts. You brought zero facts to your argument, yet criticized others for not bringing facts to the argument. That puts those bringing facts (records) at 1 and you at 0.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fred likes to press the pace and keep pressure on the opponent by scoring. I love it. It is the future of how basketball should be played. My beef with the game of basketball is that it rewards fouling. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have it like hockey where you actually penalize the player the first time not the fifth time they foul.

But hey, it's the game, and how it is designed so I will live with it. I'd love at a minimum a 24 second shot clock.

Maybe steal something from football and put 5 or 10 second runoffs into the rules for fouls within the last two minutes? They figured out a long time ago in that game that playing the game/not trying to manipulate the clock with bogus fouls makes the endings far more interesting.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA

YeaH because time outs woukd have won that game. :)

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Maybe it's just me, but personally I think the team playing OUTSTANDING basketball has everything to do with Fred

I thought the inference was pretty clear that Fred didn't consciously make an effort to conserve or use timeouts during this particular contest. I referenced that the team played outstanding basketball, particularly it's composure in running the offense in the 2nd half. I didn't think I'd have to state that Fred deserves a lot of credit for that. That should be implied.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
****, I have been thinking about and I think ZRF is right. Look at Technical Fouls - CFH has to be the most naive coach in the world when it comes to getting T'ed up. Look at Billy Boy Self - he can masterfully walk into even Hilton and turn a well timed T into a 6 pt swing. Hoiberg doesn't even know how to get T'ed up, think he has had 2 total as a coach?!

Anyone that oblivious to game management isn't going to know how to use TOs either.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

This seems like just an example of confirmation bias. There are times where Fred doesn't use TO's and we go on to lose, there are times he doesn't use TO's when a lot of other coaches would and we come back to win. In the B12 title game last year, we come out not being able to get anything to go, trail by as much as 11-1 at the 12:30 mark and Fred never called a TO. Almost any other coach would have burned a time out if his team was almost to the second media time out and still hadn't score two points. Fred didn't it and it worked out, we rallied back to get it close before half time and pulled away in the second half. You remember the instances it didn't work in games we lost, but no one remembers the time he lets the guys play through it and it works out for ISU, and it's worked out a lot in the last few years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Considering that he seemed oblivious to the mountain of stats supporting fouling when holding a 3 point lead (on a late opponent possession), I highly doubt it.

That's not stated as a jab, rather that he (admittedly) wasn't aware once that was presented to him.

There is just as much to support not fouling as fouling, that is why you see even top coaches split on what to do in that situation. The fact that you don't even recognize that the foul/don't foul debate is a legitimate debate rather than clear cut that a team should foul every time makes it pretty clear that you don't know heat you are talking about. Ask Lon how that worked out for him today.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
There is just as much to support not fouling as fouling, that is why you see even top coaches split on what to do in that situation. The fact that you don't even recognize that the foul/don't foul debate is a legitimate debate rather than clear cut that a team should foul every time makes it pretty clear that you don't know heat you are talking about. Ask Lon how that worked out for him today.

This paper by the head Depauw coach (at least at the time), sums it up perfectly. Assuming that you don't: foul in the act of shooting a 3, or commit some other egregious error, the percentages heavily support, in terms of percentage of outcomes, fouling in those situations.

In our particular situation we were a poor defensive team, and a poor perimeter defensive team at that. Kansas had a player on the floor that was making everything in site. While he was lucking in making the particular 3, the fact still stands that the odds were much better had we fouled.

Had we been a good perimeter defensive team, such as a Syracuse (a historically lengthy perimeter team) and facing a team with poor perimeter shooters I'd be all for defending in that situation. In our case, our strengths, weaknesses, and the statistical event outcomes ABSOLUTELY pointed to fouling in that situation. I don't even think it's debatable.

Edit: forgot to link it : http://www.depauw.edu/ath/mbasket/images/up3.pdf

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This paper by the head Depauw coach (at least at the time), sums it up perfectly. Assuming that you don't: foul in the act of shooting a 3, or commit some other egregious error, the percentages heavily support, in terms of percentage of outcomes, fouling in those situations.

In our particular situation we were a poor defensive team, and a poor perimeter defensive team at that. Kansas had a player on the floor that was making everything in site. While he was lucking in making the particular 3, the fact still stands that the odds were much better had we fouled.

Had we been a good perimeter defensive team, such as a Syracuse (a historically lengthy perimeter team) and facing a team with poor perimeter shooters I'd be all for defending in that situation. In our case, our strengths, weaknesses, and the statistical event outcomes ABSOLUTELY pointed to fouling in that situation. I don't even think it's debatable.

Edit: forgot to link it : http://www.depauw.edu/ath/mbasket/images/up3.pdf
'

Well, he obviously learned from that Kansas game because he did foul against OSU last year and told his team to foul against Iowa last year (they didn't do it).

So maybe you should stop ******** about a game 3 years ago.

I'll also add that fouling Kansas at AFH is a sticky situation. Weird things happen there. More than likely you'd get called for an intentional or the player would toss up a shot that would go in anyway.