Hoiberg the TO bully

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Little homerish here, but hear me out...

Perhaps Fred just knows/trusts his guys to make the better decisions, play-to-play and at the end of games, and trusts their conditioning and confidence.

Calling a timeout gives the other team--which might need the blow/the coach talk more than ISU does--just as much or even more than our guys are going to need it.

A rainstorm might slow a run-based football offense down... but it's going to mess with a pass-first team even more. Fred doesn't want to give them the extra help/out?

I think there is some truth to this. I like Fred's style, think some coaches do too much to insert themselves into the game (sometimes their team's style of play requires it), let them play. Of course sometimes a timeout is necessary to make an adjustment or try to stop a run.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
LOL, no. While Hoiberg makes excellent use of timeouts on the offensive end of the floor, as in he usually draws up sets with good results, his usage of them is quite poor. Often he refuses to call timeouts when they should be called and hoards them for late in the game. While that worked out for us today, it's typically a poor approach.

One of Fred's flaws is that he is often reactionary rather than being proactive. I love coaches that anticipate momentum swings and call timeouts BEFORE the damage is done (especially on the road). Fred has a penchant of letting teams roll off 6-8 + points before calling them, and/or letting refusing to call one when we get trapped (before the TO happens).

Admittedly I'm a critic of Fred's in-game management, particularly late in games. Even today he inexcusably left McKay in on inbound sequences, and didn't keep Long on Taylor (Long was doing a much better job of keeping Taylor in front of him) once the game got under 4 minutes. For every game such as this one where having TOs at the end was beneficial, there are 2 others where he's wasted opportunities to control the game only to have worthless TOs left at the end of the game.

In this particular case having 4 TOs down the stretch was a result of the team playing OUSTANDING basketball for most of the 2nd half. It really had nothing to do with Fred (and a conscious decision to conserve or take them).

el oh el

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
The dude is obsessed with finding flaws in Fred. It's very odd

I'll just suggest this in regards to Fred's in-game coaching, besides the excellent won-loss record:
1. We consistently see strong performances coming out of halftime.
2. We see substitutions that make sense and work.
3. We score very consistently coming out of timeouts, almost like Fred said something and it works.

Add into it he's got players buying in to the idea that, if they're not the hot hands, they wont get their minutes this game/half. He's managed egos so well, we sometimes forget how great he does.

Reactions: CycloneErik

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Games are won at the end. I find it hysterical that guys like Drew and Barnes never have any timeouts at the end when they need them. Fred could own them at poker with a pair of 2s every time.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Obviously he's one of the elite coaches in the country and he's forgottten more about basketball than most of us on this board will ever know.

That being said, he's still human, and at times he does seem to take too long to take a time out to stop an opponents run.

Right, but ******** about the timeouts seems fairly stupid considering that no coach is perfect. Got to accept some alleged flaws.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Right, but ******** about the timeouts seems fairly stupid considering that no coach is perfect. Got to accept some alleged flaws.

I guess it depends what you call ********. No need to go over the top about it, for sure, but commenting on it seems fair given we are on a message board.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Well to each their own, but the results have been pretty impressive.

Every coach and every player make mistakes. But holy **** the guy has just led us to our 4th straight 20 win season for the first time ever. And baring a weird situation, he'll have led us to 4 straight NCAA tournaments for the first time ever.

I think the guy is an elite coach, so we probably have to take the small things that we think might not be right.

He's good, bordering on very good, however calling him elite is extremely premature. There are maybe 8-10 proven "elite" coaches int the country. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And YES, every coach makes mistakes. This particular thread was about how well Hoiberg conserves timeouts, which (as pointed out) is utterly absurd. It's crazy how people get so easily offended when addressing a topic and supporting that particular argument with facts.

The Hoiberg police are on full alert.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Obviously he's one of the elite coaches in the country and he's forgottten more about basketball than most of us on this board will ever know.

That being said, he's still human, and at times he does seem to take too long to take a time out to stop an opponents run.

IMO it fits with getting these guys matured for later in the year

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think letting the team try to play through things is another example of Fred's NBA background. Most college coaches try to over manage the game, in the NBA teams are going to go on runs, coaches let their team play through it more often, especially early on in the game.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
He's good, bordering on very good, however calling him elite is extremely premature. There are maybe 8-10 proven "elite" coaches int the country. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And YES, every coach makes mistakes. This particular thread was about how well Hoiberg conserves timeouts, which (as pointed out) is utterly absurd. It's crazy how people get so easily offended when addressing a topic and supporting that particular argument with facts.

I think everyone knows what is absurd in this thread. Well not everyone.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
What would he use time outs for? It is thug ball with a bunch of derelict transfers. They can't be coached anyway. He is just along for the ride. Using TOs is only important if you do things the right way.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

Exactly what facts did you bring to the argument? I've seen others post records to support their argument. Yours? Just anecdotal analysis.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What would he use time outs for? It is thug ball with a bunch of derelict transfers. They can't be coached anyway. He is just along for the ride. Using TOs is only important if you do things the right way.

That's a very good point. If they aren't busy playing, the thug transfers might lose focus and run amok. Anything could happen then, and none of it will be good.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Games are won at the end. I find it hysterical that guys like Drew and Barnes never have any timeouts at the end when they need them. Fred could own them at poker with a pair of 2s every time.

This is a partial fallacy. Points are no more important at the end of the game than they are anywhere else. The difference is at the end of the game time is of the essence, creating less chances to make up for mistakes and missed opportunities.

The key with timeouts is to MAXIMIZE their usage (I can't emphasize this enough). If per se, you are on the road and are with the crowd going nuts in the midst of a 6-0 and you have the ball trapped on the sideline, I'd hope Hoiberg (any coach) would have the presence of mind to call a timeout as that possession is critical. Meanwhile, having a stockpile of timeouts when having passed over several similar opportunities is nothing short of mismanagement.

While I'm not a Scott Drew fan (thee of having called several timeouts in the midst of his OWN TEAM'S runs), I don't think having no timeouts at the end of the game is an indictment....if they were used properly. It's the senseless usage of said timeouts and/or the failure to recognize their importance that's the bigger issue.

In today's case there really weren't a lot of instances (maybe one I can think of) where Fred should have called a timeout (in other words I though he did fine in that regard today). That doesn't mean however, that Fred isn't poor in this regard. It's an area (just like a lot of coaches) that he needs to work on.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

You might be confusing Hoiberg police with idiot police.

Hoiberg is much closer to an Elite coach than a very good coach. His bank account can probably confirm that.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Knowing Fred's background and analytical approach, I almost wonder if he doesn't have some sort of statistical evidence that the effect of TOs in stopping opponent runs is overblown. It just seems too obvious a thing to think he hasn't changed his philosophy solely out of stubbornness or not learning his lesson.