Pollard and blame

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That's sounds all nice and beautiful, but there are still going to be plenty of holes on next years team. We have some solid pieces here and there, but that isn't enough to have a great team all around.

Next year will be more of the same I am afraid. Best hope is Netten, Bundrage, Lazard. No one on defense. That is about it. I thought we had improved team speed. It just does not translate to the field.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It seems from comments in and around JTS that the majority of Iowa State fans don't feel that Pollard has any accountability in the failure of the football program. However, the nine years of JP's leadership have yielded one of the worst football records in school history, (at a school with a very poor FB history). Even tho' JP did the hiring, I don't agree that he should bear the brunt of the blame. I argue that JP has basically given CPR everything he has asked for and needed to succeed (and than some,....e.g. SEZ). I believe CPR's mistakes have mounted up and he must accept the lion's share of the blame.
I wonder what others think??

I really doubt this is true.

91 3-8
92 4-7
93 3-8
94 0-10-1
95 3-8
96 2-9
97 1-10
98 3-8
99 4-7

total 23-75-1

So the first random 9 year period I totaled was far far worse, and in this same time frame, our strength of schedule was generally in the 50's+. Our 9-3 year in 2000 our strength of schedule was around 70. Dan was 56-85 (39%) overall with a much easier schedule. After 1.5 terrible years Rhoads is 29-41 (41%). Anyone who thinks things are worse then they have ever been doesn't have much perspective.

Last edited:

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
This is college football, there is always going to be holes that someone new has to step up and fill do to a graduating Sr. It happens to every team.

Unlike you I am not a pessimist and know what is in our pipeline, and while there will be holes I think with the talent we return and the new guys filling in those holes we will be a good team.

I'm not as down on the talent level as a lot of people. There are good players on this roster. I think these guys can line up and compete on a more consistent basis than what we have seen. That's been the most disappointing thing about this season. I feel bad for the seniors.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

91 3-8
92 4-7
93 3-8
94 0-10-1
95 3-8
96 2-9
97 1-10
98 3-8
99 4-7

total 23-75-1

So the first random 9 year period I totaled was far far worse, and in this same time frame, our strength of schedule was generally in the 50's+. Our 9-3 year in 2000 our strength of schedule was around 70. Dan was 56-85 (39%) overall with a much easier schedule. After 1.5 terrible years Rhoads is 29-41 (41%). Anyone who thinks things are worse then they have ever been doesn't have much perspective.

Those making the claims that this is the worst we have ever been were obviously in a Coma during the '90's. We absolutely sucked.

3 Wins during a season would be considered a success during that decade.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Those making the claims that this is the worst we have ever been were obviously in a Coma during the '90's. We absolutely sucked.

3 Wins during a season would be considered a success during that decade.

Yes, I don't know what the Hell they are thinking. ISU has been way worse than the last two years on several occasions. This year's record is bad, but at least you can point to a couple of the losses that ISU should have been able to hold on to. Back in the 90's ISU was everyones whipping dog.

CPR has certainly made some major blunders in assistant hires and recruiting, but it feels like he is headed in the right direction now with Mangino. I still think he needs to get Wally to retire and bring in some new blood there, but you can only make so many coaching changes in a year, unless you fire the head coach and start over. I for one am not ready for the complete train wreck that would be.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Actually I think JP had also given the Chiz a nice extension, so that's 2 bad coaches (3 if CPR doesn't bounce back) that JP gave big extensions to. JP has done some good things and overall I'd give him a C-. But it seems some people forget that if Auburn and Creighton didn't ride in to save our butt, JP would be long gone. Chiz was not the slam dunk hire some want to think he was as many on here were excited about Brian Kelly becoming our coach, which the athletic department apparently wanted the media and fans to believe would happen. GMac also was not an exciting hire to a lot of fans either (and especially had we known Fred was interested in the job). Those two coaches were well on their way to emptying the Jack and Hilton until Auburn and Creighton saved us.
To clarify, JP offered an extension if Gene stayed, that did not happen, so there was no extension.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013

91 3-8
92 4-7
93 3-8
94 0-10-1
95 3-8
96 2-9
97 1-10
98 3-8
99 4-7

total 23-75-1

I cannot disagree as I stole the numbers and corresponding statements in the OP from a web site where the owner was trying to make a point of disparaging JP to deflect blame away from CPR. I'm walking a fine line here so will have to leave it at that.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Op you say most don't think pollard is to blame. Then stat reasons why one would blame pollard and then say you don't blame pollard. I don't see it as pollards fault either. I just don't get the post. Pollard is the leader so has to have some blame, but I agree with every hire he has ever made at the time of the hire.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm not as down on the talent level as a lot of people. There are good players on this roster. I think these guys can line up and compete on a more consistent basis than what we have seen. That's been the most disappointing thing about this season. I feel bad for the seniors.

Agree with this. I'm more disappointed in our preparation to handle certain game situations we've faced as well as a couple of games in general.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Agree with this. I'm more disappointed in our preparation to handle certain game situations we've faced as well as a couple of games in general.
With the talent gap we have I wonder if enough preparation is even possible.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

Don't know how much of it is talent gap when we can't beat UNI or NDSU, but we can beat Iowa.

Sioux_Per_Cy

Mar 31, 2006
JP made a hire that went to three bowl games in his first four years before recent struggles. Hiring Rhoads was by no means a bad hire, IMO. JP's biggest mistake was giving Rhoads a ten year contract.

I understand why some people don't like JP, but in all seriousness I think he's been an excellent AD.

THIS!!!!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Iowa would not beat last year's early season UNI or this year's NDSU. Iowa is crap too.
What's the evidence of this? Iowa was better last than this year and they took care of UNI just fine this year. Plus Mark Farley bends over for Iowa and doesn't want the UNI fanbase mad at him for beating their true number 1 team in their hearts.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
What's the evidence of this? Iowa was better last than this year and they took care of UNI just fine this year. Plus Mark Farley bends over for Iowa and doesn't want the UNI fanbase mad at him for beating their true number 1 team in their hearts.
So you're suggesting Farley loses to the hoks on purpose

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

I can't believe UNI had more talent than us last year or any year (with the exception of David Johnson, which is our own fault). I just don't think the team looked mentally prepared to play NDSU or Oklahoma this year. And as far as game situations, we looked totally unprepared to handle the loss of Farniok, which has happened before. We also looked unprepared to handle 3rd or 4th and 1 situations, running the ball from the shotgun with Farniok and then a sneak from behind center without Farniok. The defense looked completely unprepared to handle a prevent situation like the last 22 seconds of the Texas game. Some might question using a d-back to catch a pass in a fake punt situation. There are things that haven't come together that have cost us winnable games, and at ISU we can't afford to blow winnable games. I admit it's going to take a rare coach and staff that is so sharp that it just rarely makes mistakes in recruiting (especially in state) or game situations to win at ISU. I don't think CPR has shown that yet and maybe things will improve and he can bounce back next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
JP made a hire that went to three bowl games in his first four years before recent struggles. Hiring Rhoads was by no means a bad hire, IMO. JP's biggest mistake was giving Rhoads a ten year contract.

I understand why some people don't like JP, but in all seriousness I think he's been an excellent AD.

I was in Cedar Rapids last summer from out of state, and for whatever reason it felt like there was a lot more ISU gear being worn around than I recall...I really think the product of ISU has grown considerably, and Pollard has helped with that.

(a popular head basketball coach helps too I suppose....)