Voices from the stands: Iowa Game

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I tailgated and watched the game from a bar in the ped mall, so I have lots of stories.

There was a lot of fights, mainly iowa vs. iowa fans which I found funny. The 50-60ish year old lady we were with also got a full beer spilled on her head by a Hawkeye fan (she was also a Hawkeye fan dressed head to toe which confused me). A guy at the table next to us retailated by throwing a beer in the face of another college aged guy we were with who had nothing to do with anything as he just got in the bar. It was very confusing.

I posted this one in the 1st attempt thread.

I was at a bar downtown Iowa City for the game. When they signaled no good I had about 10 hawkeye fans flipping me off, laughing and cussing at me. I kept trying to tell them Kirky boy called a time out so we get to kick it again but they were too busy being d-bags to listen. Once they finally turned back to the TV to see Cole midkick and then it sail perfectly good, the look on their faces was priceless.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Also I'm not a Hawk hater as I have a lot of very level headed Hawkeye friends (and dating one) and actually think Iowa City is a nice city that can be fun at times, however I was very surprised how dirty/violent the city was. Maybe this was just because of rivalry week.

Besides stories of fans being D-bags everywhere (there were some ok ones, one guy admitted he loved Freddy and switches to Iowa State for basketball), I couldn't believe how they treat their own city. Trash absolutely everywhere. I understand it's a drunken tailgate rivalry game, but it was disgusting. The girls we were with wanted to go to the Library to pee as they thought it would be more private, and everything in there was destroyed as well. The porta potty situation was disgusting at both lots we visited. 2 hours before kickoff every one somebody we were with went into was overflowing with **** mixed in with beer cans, fem products, etc, to the point you couldn't step in them. Every bar we went into had broken glass all over. I'm not sure if that's the Iowa City way, but I heard a glass being thrown, not dropped, about once every 15 minutes. The bar we were at the second half had 6 glasses in toilet, 3 in the urinal, and broken glass covering the floor of the bathroom where you couldn't find a spot to step without a big chunk of glass. I was just happy the weather was cold in the AM so I wore shoes.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I had a Hawk friend offer me a ticket yesterday about 10am (his wife got sick). He's had those tickets from his folks since the 60s.

I said pass. I have sat in the donor sections before, and the middle aged folks are as bad as the students. Win or lose, I wanted to enjoy the game, and sitting with a bunch of belligerent old people in Kinnick was going to make enjoying the game impossible. Talk about your "game day experience"!

Watched in the basement on the big screen with the cat, Feau Pellini style.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I said pass. I have sat in the donor sections before, and the middle aged folks are as bad as the students. Win or lose, I wanted to enjoy the game, and sitting with a bunch of belligerent old people in Kinnick was going to make enjoying the game impossible. Talk about your "game day experience"!

Agree. I can't believe ISU fans actually pay to enter that place and sit in the midst of those fans.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Iowa City was in classic form yesterday. Two years ago, things were pretty subdued because that Hawkeye team was pathetic on numerous levels. However, this year, last minute victories over UNI and Ball State had the mouth breathers out. Numerous "F you" several double-Bookers. One poor fat Hawkeye chick just walked up to me with this weird look on her face and said "I'm sorry" like I was a handicap or something.

Well....not a single word on the walk back to the car.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I sat close to a Hawkeye fan from Huxley. He was a great guy and I enjoyed talking to him at half time. He said a lot of positive things about iowa state. I was also impressed how much his son knew about his team. In the stadium I had a great experience besides the occasional idiotic fan outbursts in my area. Outside the stadium was brutal though.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Also I'm not a Hawk hater as I have a lot of very level headed Hawkeye friends (and dating one) and actually think Iowa City is a nice city that can be fun at times, however I was very surprised how dirty/violent the city was. Maybe this was just because of rivalry week.

Besides stories of fans being D-bags everywhere (there were some ok ones, one guy admitted he loved Freddy and switches to Iowa State for basketball), I couldn't believe how they treat their own city. Trash absolutely everywhere. I understand it's a drunken tailgate rivalry game, but it was disgusting. The girls we were with wanted to go to the Library to pee as they thought it would be more private, and everything in there was destroyed as well. The porta potty situation was disgusting at both lots we visited. 2 hours before kickoff every one somebody we were with went into was overflowing with **** mixed in with beer cans, fem products, etc, to the point you couldn't step in them. Every bar we went into had broken glass all over. I'm not sure if that's the Iowa City way, but I heard a glass being thrown, not dropped, about once every 15 minutes. The bar we were at the second half had 6 glasses in toilet, 3 in the urinal, and broken glass covering the floor of the bathroom where you couldn't find a spot to step without a big chunk of glass. I was just happy the weather was cold in the AM so I wore shoes.

This post could've really been elevated with some pics.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
After the targeting penalty and west was laying there injured

"It's a contact sport, walk it off you *****"

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I sat close to a Hawkeye fan from Huxley. He was a great guy and I enjoyed talking to him at half time. He said a lot of positive things about iowa state. I was also impressed how much his son knew about his team. In the stadium I had a great experience besides the occasional idiotic fan outbursts in my area. Outside the stadium was brutal though.

Yes, outside the stadium pre-game was Iowa City at its finest. The mouth breathers on Melrose "tailgating" at the rental houses and buying food from the vendors had a vocabulary of four words "f***" "state" "go" "hawks".

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Guy sitting next to me in the ISU section was an Iowa fan with skinny jeans on. ******* and moaned all game. My wife argued with him once or twice, and then somewhere around the third quarter he got up and went to the concession stand. When he came back, I stood up so he could scoot by, and as I did I noticed a large hole in his pants just under in the groinal region. Honestly, I thought I caught a glimpse of something as I stood up. Whatever it was was skin colored, could have been thigh but I don't think so. I instantly looked away so I'll never know for sure. When I mentioned it to him he goes, "eh, it's all good." Clearly it was not.

Reactions: LindenCy

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Numerous Hawks in our section started flipping off their own team in the 4th quarter. Captain Kirk got the worst of it after his icing job.

Max

Mar 19, 2006
I must say, we were treated very well by Hawk fans the entire day. From different Hawk tailgates to a mixed Clones/Hawks section in the game, not one time was anyone disrespectful to us? In fact, most were welcoming. I was expecting much worse treatment, but, for those I was around, I was impressed with their behavior.

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
Did anyone else witness the older ISU fan being arrested apparently for a public intoxication inside the NE gate below section 101 during halftime? I couldn't tell that he made any kind of scene or was being a problem, but they did field sobriety tests with about 5 officers standing all around him. Eventually they pulled out a breathalyzer and made him blow. Then have him the straw and cuffed him. It was interesting as it didn't appear there were any issues or problems leading up to it and he was fully cooperative through the whole thing lasting maybe 10 min. Add to that there was a girl in a Hawkeye shirt passing out sitting in the middle of the closed road for most of the first half. A group of cops stopped by and then left her alone as she continued to fall from sitting to laying several times. Just before halftime her friend helped her up and it certainly looked like she had peed her pants as she was helped down the street. I guess the lesson is if you were wearing black and gold the cops would just leave you alone but red shirts drew an army of police and arrests.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Iowa City was in classic form yesterday. Two years ago, things were pretty subdued because that Hawkeye team was pathetic on numerous levels. However, this year, last minute victories over UNI and Ball State had the mouth breathers out. Numerous "F you" several double-Bookers. One poor fat Hawkeye chick just walked up to me with this weird look on her face and said "I'm sorry" like I was a handicap or something.

Well....not a single word on the walk back to the car.

I had a similar experience. I was walking to the woods to take a leak as they only had a few porta potties for a bazillion people (that and they were throwing empties at clones, and boys werent allowed in the porta potties unless they needed to deuce, which is understandable), and this bigger girl walks up to me and pokes me in the chest. She says something along the lines of "What the hell is wrong with you, like how can you be an Iowa State fan? I mean did all of your family go there, or are you just straight up ********?" (slang for handicap, didn't know that was banned). I told her my family aren't big sports fans and that I went to Iowa State, and then asked her where she went to college. She stumbled away with no response.

Last edited: