Starting QB

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I won't be surprised if by game 3 or 4 that people will want to see Rohach play instead. Rhoads has a habit of switching the starter every few games and I don't expect anything different. I will be shocked if Richardson starts every game of the season.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
By the sounds of it, he was.

If his completion percentage was 70% in the scrimmage (give it a 5-10% drop in game action), he will have a good year.

And by the looks of it. There were times last season when he looked like he should have been in street clothes, not absorbing hit after hit behind a patchwork offensive line and a brainlocked offensive coordinator.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I won't be surprised if by game 3 or 4 that people will want to see Rohach play instead. Rhoads has a habit of switching the starter every few games and I don't expect anything different. I will be shocked if Richardson starts every game of the season.

That's certainly possible; the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. But keep in mind that Rhoads has handed the keys to the offense to Mangino. And Mangino might have a longer leash for his QBs than Rhoads has shown. Let's hope it's a moot point and Richardson cements his spot with some good, steady play.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Richardson would have likely started every game last year if not injured. He didn't just get yanked for poor play.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

That is how the back-up QB situation works. The fans will yell and cheer for him to be put in until he actually gets in there and then people realize why he was the back-up in the first place.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
According to who? I'll never fully understand the "higher ceiling" argument.

Some people are obsessed with starting the youngest guy possible in hopes that all those starts make him awesome as a Senior.

Sam and Grant are both solid QBs with their own strengths. Lanning seems to be a talented young guy, but with no experience.

Sam did the best in fall camp and Mangino wants to go with him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That is how the back-up QB situation works. The fans will yell and cheer for him to be put in until he actually gets in there and then people realize why he was the back-up in the first place.

And then everyone starts hollering for Lanning or to go back to Sam. The lack of a stable QB situation the last few season hasn't been the only problem for CPR, but fixing it would go a long way toward getting the program going back in the right direction.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Gotta stick with SR through thick and thin imo, provided he remains healthy. Hoping the QB carrousel ride is over. Most people seem to think SR has more potential, and is a better all around QB. We'll see how many people still think that when he has a sub par outing...and it most likely will happen. I think he has to be given the opportunity to work through it, to become better, and more consistent and develop some much needed team chemistry on the offense.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I think the Rhoads "short leash" thing is a little overblown. AA started every game that he was healthy for under Rhoads, and Steele Jantz wa sonly originally pulled because of an injury against UCONN his Jr season.

We didn't really see the odd QB switches until the last 2 seasons with Mess at OC (and even some of those were sparked by injury). I assume this season will be more similiar to Herman's time here than the last 2, at least in that regard.

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
To me this means Rohach blew his chance and looks like he isn't ready and is still far away from being a full time Big 12 starter.

Richardson was sort of the ideal backup since he is experienced and a dual threat and would have been a good safety net to have if Rohach struggled.

But yeah, if the younger guy with the higher ceiling couldn't out right win the job, than the coaching staff made a good move going with Richardson.

This post riddled with absolute drivel and nonsense. Did you take your measuring tape out to see how high each QBs "ceiling" is? Has anyone with any actual knowledge of the game told you this or are you just in the habit of spouting off garbage? You know what is more important than arm strength or ability to run? Accuracy, consistency, and intelligent decision-making, none of which is part of some natural skill set that Grant has more of than Sam. Experience, confidence, and practice give you those. Hate reading posts like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
This post riddled with absolute dribble and nonsense. Did you take your measuring tape out to see how high each QBs "ceiling" is? Has anyone with any actual knowledge of the game told you this or are you just in the habit of spouting off garbage? You know what is more important than arm strength or ability to run? Accuracy, consistency, and intelligent decision-making, none of which is part of some natural skill set that Grant has more of than Sam. Experience, confidence, and practice give you those. Hate reading posts like this.

Almost as bad as people calling for the back up or caling for one guy to start over another at any postition (have seen it in FB and BB) because he has more of the "it" factor.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If Sam doesn't get injured and Mangino remembers how to run an offense he will start every game. The short leash thing is way overblown. The only time I really thought Rhoads pulled a QB when he shouldn't have was Barnett in the bowl game. Other than that he's only pulled them after consecutive really crappy offensive performances.

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
It is Sam! The deal is we have two "proven" quarterbacks, with two wins each, so only one can start the season opener, the choice is Sam. Grant will be in if Sam doesn't produce. I feel both players are working together for the benifit of the team. If we are to be successful both of them needs to be supporting each other. Lets get ready for NDSU, thats all that matters for now!

Go Cyclones.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Comparing Sam and Grant to Jantz and Barnett is silly. Even in losses last year I saw more QB talent in those two than SJ and JB showed in multiple years. Steele had some talent, and showed flashes, but he was terribly inconsistent. JB was a gamer and won games in spite of less than Big12 talent.

I would take Sam or Grant any day over those two.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
also, randy peterson clarified that sam actually has a working neck and physically CAN look over his shoulder, he just doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.

Was he rubbing said neck when he reported this? 1:2 odds says he was.

Help Support Us

Become a patron