Starting QB

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I thought he was pretty hurt. If he was worse he'd be dead.

He got hit by a car while on his moped when he was on his way to physical therapy. During one of the games he stitches still in his leg because of that. This dude is tough and I fully expect him to bounce back this year and have a solid year with Bundrage, his old HS teammate Montgomery, West, and Lazard.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He got hit by a car while on his moped when he was on his way to physical therapy. During one of the games he stitches still in his leg because of that. This dude is tough and I fully expect him to bounce back this year and have a solid year with Bundrage, his old HS teammate Montgomery, West, and Lazard.
Makes his Texas performance even more impressive. With all this talk of "upside", that game showed me Sam has a ton of it. A sophomore with only 6 games under his belt, injured, poor coaching, behind a bad offensive line, and throwing to a WR group that rarely helps the QB out. Almost all of these things can be be improved on, and Sam himself should be better physically and fundamentally.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Makes his Texas performance even more impressive. With all this talk of "upside", that game showed me Sam has a ton of it. A sophomore with only 6 games under his belt, injured, poor coaching, behind a bad offensive line, and throwing to a WR group that rarely helps the QB out. Almost all of these things can be be improved on, and Sam himself should be better physically and fundamentally.

sad but true.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Nothing against Grant, but I am breathing a huge sigh of relief with this announcement. If you want to know how good Richardson CAN be when he is healthy, just look at this first game against Kansas and the Texas game last year.
Sam had a bum ankle, bad neck, and a third injury which slips my mind. Here's to a healthy year.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Nothing against Grant, but I am breathing a huge sigh of relief with this announcement. If you want to know how good Richardson CAN be when he is healthy, just look at this first game against Kansas and the Texas game last year.
Sam had a bum ankle, bad neck, and a third injury which slips my mind. Here's to a healthy year.

Bad thumb.

Possible 4th injury = stitches in unknown location.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He got hit by a car while on his moped when he was on his way to physical therapy. During one of the games he stitches still in his leg because of that. This dude is tough and I fully expect him to bounce back this year and have a solid year with HIS OFFENSIVE LINE KEEPING HIM CLEAN.

FIFY

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
@BobbyLaGesse: Accurraty was big for Richardson. Rhoads said he topped 70 percent completion percentage in scrimmages the last two Saturdays

Lol at Bobby

I heard the ran nothing but bubble screens though.

I'm kidding I'm glad it's Sam. I'm excited to see what he can do healthy.

Knowing what we know now I'm pretty upset we kept trotting the guy out there last year.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009

I'm kidding I'm glad it's Sam. I'm excited to see what he can do healthy.

Knowing what we know now I'm pretty upset we kept trotting the guy out there last year.

I hate the fact that he had to play hurt last year - however why is it so hard for so many to understand when Rhoads kept saying that Grant wasn't ready and Sam gave us the best chance to win.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
[/B]I hate the fact that he had to play hurt last year - however why is it so hard for so many to understand when Rhoads kept saying that Grant wasn't ready and Sam gave us the best chance to win.

They sent him out there during games that Rohach played in.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

70% completion on bubble screens would still be a great improvement.

The thing that I liked the most about the CPR interview was the fact that Sam was hitting guys on the move and not making them stop, slow down or dive to make a catch. This is the biggest problem that I have seen with ISU QB play for the last 10 years. If you are going to try and make the short passing game work, the passes have to be delivered so the receiver is on the move and not a sitting target. Great leaping or diving catches are fun to watch, but an on target pass can be the difference between a 1-2 yard gain and a 15 yard gain.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012

The thing that I liked the most about the CPR interview was the fact that Sam was hitting guys on the move and not making them stop, slow down or dive to make a catch. This is the biggest problem that I have seen with ISU QB play for the last 10 years. If you are going to try and make the short passing game work, the passes have to be delivered so the receiver is on the move and not a sitting target. Great leaping or diving catches are fun to watch, but an on target pass can be the difference between a 1-2 yard gain and a 15 yard gain.

You sure are correct. Lets keep our fingers crossed. I always thought Sam was the best. If they had let them play in the Spring game. He would have broken many long runs and loosened things up.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Plus our receivers last year were terrible at making an athletic catch except for our tight ends. Unless you hit them in the bread basket, they did not catch the ball.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
According to who? I'll never fully understand the "higher ceiling" argument.

Dunno I just thought one guy was a better runner and a little more consistent if healthy...but wasn't going to put up 4000 yards passing while the other had shown the potential to be a 4000 yard passer but was more of a mixed bag.

KSU and Iowa will be two tough games so whoever wins the job will do well to still be starting the 4th game of the year against Baylor. Baylor would also be a good spot to give Rohach the current backup a start if Richardson struggles merely because their D is soft and porous. But people got totally butthurt by me saying Rohach probably blew it and lost himself the job since he was far ahead entering the offseason since I guess anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive will illicit those type of responses.

If both guys are going to play this year they chose the right guy to beat the plucky 1AA using arm and feet and then play 2 tough rivalry games...which he could get dinged up a bit in.... and have the younger backup with the bigger arm healthy, confident, and ready to gun it out with Baylor... or possibly come in and be an upgrade against KSU or EIU. Again if both play a lot this year they made the right call with who to start first I think. (That will probably annoy some otehr peeps too since they will expect whoever is named starter to win the Heisman...)

I feel better about hammering the NDSU game for big money with Richardson hes been good against bad teams. Think I'll parlay that with Ohio State since Braxton Miller being out is addition by subtraction he blows and the line is way lower with a better QB.

Last edited: