Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Deadspin must not have realized he said Olympic sports and not Olympics.

Bowlsby actually did make the connection between college sports and the Olympics.

"And in my role as a member of the United States Olympic Committee board, we've had this discussion. Because about 85 percent of American summer Olympians come through collegiate programs. And if track programs and wrestling programs and swimming programs begin to go away, there will be significant damage to our international efforts."

The author didn't include it for some reason.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Interesting.
The schools that would have the hardest time paying for the Olympic sports are the ones with the smallest budgets for football. Most of these schools have the bare minimum of sports (or very close to the minimum) in order to be D1 (14). So the NCAA would need to ammend their rules for a school to be a D1 program.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think it would really help the men's Olympic sports if they throw out football with the title IX funding.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
ESPN is the only one that can stop this out of control situation, and they are not about to.
Despite what he says nothing is going to change. You need highly paid coaches and facilities to help them recruit.

Personally the NFL benefits way too much from college football without having to pay a nickel. Other sports like baseball, hockey have farm leagues that kids can go to. Those teams pay for those kids to develop.

Perhaps the NFL needs to kick in a few hundred million to be distributed equally among all division 1 programs to help pay for the non-revenue sports..

Last edited:
Reactions: CyBobby

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
But if the Power 5 conferences form their own division; then they will set the rules for themselves. The power 5 conferences is about football first, second and third. The rules will most likely state you need to have a minimum $xxx football budget, a minimum number of coaches trainers etc (I could see their being no upper limit). If a school in the power 5 only has two or three men's sports who cares as long as football (+ maybe basketball) is one of them and it is funded at the power 5 conference level. Women sports will have to be funded similar to men sports. So the more money you spend on extra men's sports like wrestling, baseball, track etc...then the more you will have to spend on women sports. For ISU you cut all men's sports except football and basketball. You then match that by spending the same amount on women sports to satisfy title IX. All 'other' men sport will become club sports.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
But if the Power 5 conferences form their own division; then they will set the rules for themselves. The power 5 conferences is about football first, second and third. The rules will most likely state you need to have a minimum $xxx football budget, a minimum number of coaches trainers etc (I could see their being no upper limit). If a school in the power 5 only has two or three men's sports who cares as long as football (+ maybe basketball) is one of them and it is funded at the power 5 conference level. Women sports will have to be funded similar to men sports. So the more money you spend on extra men's sports like wrestling, baseball, track etc...then the more you will have to spend on women sports. For ISU you cut all men's sports except football and basketball. You then match that by spending the same amount on women sports to satisfy title IX. All 'other' men sport will become club sports.

That will definitely be their goal. Keep the football games within the power 5, and let the lower tiers continually spend tons of money for the privilege of being their bottom feeder. It's garbage, but that will be their goal.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Call me what you will but I have no idea why Iowa State carries more than the minimum 14. Drop the axe and get down to it. Ksu and most SEC schools only carry the minimum.

As much as people talk about this being a bad thing, I think it would be a great thing. Vaughn would never have gone to UNLV over us if were were offering full cost of attendance. Likewise any number of football recruits who have stayed in a lower division. The other major conference schools already beat us most of the time for recruits I'd like to crush any opposition from the lower division.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'll bit on curiosity: Does he genuinely believe this, or throwing it out as the classic scare tactic to say "Don't mess with what we're already doing?"

Bold statements like this sound fishy to me.

My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".

People say college football is a business. Well all I know is lots of business file bankruptcy or layoff employees to try and stay afloat. He is right, it is not a sustainable model, and things are gonna need to be cut. Be it non revenue sports or even academic needs. I don't think he is just blowing smoke here.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

That's exactly what it is. It's a guy cashing in on the status quo who represents people cashing in even more saying that times will be rough for college students in olympic sports if there's any push to the way things are.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.

Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.