Recommend Best Microwave Popcorn

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Thanks everyone who responded. I'll have some good options to try.

Growing up (1960's) we had an old pressure cooker bottom with a random almost-fitting lid. And we popped in lard, yes lard. Probably the best popper I've ever experienced. Because of how thick and massive the bottom of that pressure cooker was it would only burn if you left it sitting on the burner, still on high, for 30 seconds or more after it quit popping.

We just have a family tradition of having popcorn for our Sunday evening meal. Easy and no clean-up if you microwave it. And no complaints as to who gets more, because we each get our own bag. So not worried about once a week health issues of the super buttery-style stuff.

I was an air pop believer and used that for maybe 20 years until we got a 1100 watt microwave which does most bags in 2 minutes +/-.

Again, thanks. I'll try most if not all - at least the buttery ones. Not sure I've seen Kirkland brand.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Probably the very best popcorn I have ever had (and worst for you) is using bacon grease for the oil in a Stir Crazy. DEAR GOD! Makes me want some right now..... but probably never will again....

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Snappy popcorn is one to consider as well. Good popcorn and great ISU supporters as well!

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
To me the popper is more important than the popcorn brand. I grew up with an old fashion manual stir popper. My dad gave me his when I set out on my own. There was an art to getting it right that I never quite figured out. I somehow ended up with a couple of these. One of them had round vent holes in the top that would splatter your hand with hot oil as you stirred the thing.

IMG_4105-250x187.jpg

Then the electric popper became popular and I tried a few of those. They were convenient but were no match for the old fashioned popper with someone that knew what they were doing.

Then the air popper was invented. These were great as you could pop an unlimited amount and load up a big grocery sack or more if you wanted. I liked these because they used no oil and allowed you to apply the amount of butter you wanted separately. I usually melted the butter in the microwave instead of using the drip method built into the lid. The problem with these was too many unpopped kernels.

The air popper has been sidelined after replacing the plastic top a number of times and now the popper of choice is Orville's Microwave popper. It does a pretty good job considering the convenience factor and little cleanup. I wouldn't say it's the best tasting, but it pops most of the kernels which is a big deal to me. I hate unpopped kernels.

draft_lens7040952module165407888photo_1359137184_00__a__.jpg

If anyone has recommendations for the best consumer popper that comes in a relatively small footprint, I would be interested in moving on to the next phase in popcorn popping.

Last edited:

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
To me the popper is more important than the popcorn brand. I grew up with an old fashion manual stir popper. My dad gave me his when I set out on my own. There was an art to getting it right that I never quite figured out. I somehow ended up with a couple of these. One of them had round vent holes in the top that would splatter your hand with hot oil as you stirred the thing.

IMG_4105-250x187.jpg

Then the electric popper became popular and I tried a few of those. They were convenient but were no match for the old fashioned popper with someone that knew what they were doing.

Then the air popper was invented. These were great as you could pop an unlimited amount and load up a big grocery sack or more if you wanted. I liked these because they used no oil and allowed you to apply the amount of butter you wanted separately. I usually melted the butter in the microwave instead of using the drip method built into the lid. The problem with these was too many unpopped kernels.

The air popper has been sidelined after replacing the plastic top a number of times and now the popper of choice is Orville's Microwave popper. It does a pretty good job considering the convenience factor and little cleanup. I wouldn't say it's the best tasting, but it pops most of the kernels which is a big deal to me. I hate unpopped kernels.

draft_lens7040952module165407888photo_1359137184_00__a__.jpg

If anyone has recommendations for the best consumer popper that comes in a relatively small footprint, I would be interested in moving on to the next phase in popcorn popping.

Store your jar of popcorn in the freezer to significantly reduce the amount of unpopped kernels you get when you use an air-popper.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Get a Whirley Pop.
Full batch on the stove top, less than five minutes. Far simpler and more consistent than your dad's stovetop popper. With Orville's brand I get around 10 unpopped kernels per batch.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The kind I get at the movie theater. No butter.

Seriously. I'm weird, but I'm a fan of slightly stale popcorn. There would be times in college I'd just pop some at night, throw it in a bowl and leave it so I could eat it for breakfast.

Same with like, Peeps or marshmallow treats. Open the pack then let it air out (or if I'm impatient, freeze them).

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Seriously. I'm weird, but I'm a fan of slightly stale popcorn. There would be times in college I'd just pop some at night, throw it in a bowl and leave it so I could eat it for breakfast.

Same with like, Peeps or marshmallow treats. Open the pack then let it air out (or if I'm impatient, freeze them).

Well, then you just keep your arse over there in Hawaii....'cause we don't need weirdos like you around here, and we sure don't need you polluting the minds of our children with your stale popcorn enjoyment.

<full disclosure, my weirdo wife is the same way...I could make her happy everyday by bringing home a bag of popcorn from our machine at work, and letting it sit on the counter overnight, but I...just...can't...do it. It's not natural>

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
Of course non microwave popcorn is better people. That wasn't the thread topic however.

Kind of like best bbq in Des Moines question and people harping KC.

You don't need a hotel room until you know you do...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Along this vein, and also completely off topic, have you ever double-toasted your bread? Just toast it normally but only don't let it brown. Remove from toaster and let it get back to room temp (stand on edge to allow both sides to cool and dry out). Reinsert in the toaster until it's brown. Very crispy - kind of like a crouton. Love the melted butter on there and the CRUNCH. But then I love crunchy food, too.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Well, then you just keep your arse over there in Hawaii....'cause we don't need weirdos like you around here, and we sure don't need you polluting the minds of our children with your stale popcorn enjoyment.

<full disclosure, my weirdo wife is the same way...I could make her happy everyday by bringing home a bag of popcorn from our machine at work, and letting it sit on the counter overnight, but I...just...can't...do it. It's not natural>

Well your wife sounds like a wonderful and beautiful human being and you can tell her I congratulate her for putting up with a non-believer in the stale popcorn ways. To celebrate I'm going to Target today to buy some of their stale popcorn for lunch.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Along this vein, and also completely off topic, have you ever double-toasted your bread? Just toast it normally but only don't let it brown. Remove from toaster and let it get back to room temp (stand on edge to allow both sides to cool and dry out). Reinsert in the toaster until it's brown. Very crispy - kind of like a crouton. Love the melted butter on there and the CRUNCH. But then I love crunchy food, too.

Intrigued.....

Help Support Us

Become a patron