*** Official FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread ***

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014
Bradley was awful today controling the ball on his first touch. Looked completely lost out there. US better get it together against Belgium

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The left side of the bracket is shaping up very nicely. 4 South American teams in the top half is going to make for some great games.

According to world rankings heading into the WC, and understanding there are still 1 team to advance (Russia, Algeria or SKorea), the average ranking for the US side of the bracket is 12.5 (assuming Belgium). The other side has an average ranking of 14.25 (assuming Russia who is 19th. Doesn't change much if you assume Algeria, but really baloons if you assume SK).

That said, the other side has Nigeria which completely inflates that side's average. If you take out the high and low, and take the same assumptions:

- US bracket still averages 12.5
- Other side drops to 11.33

Pretty decent comparison, but shows how much parity there is in the US bracket.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So you disagree or are just stating a fact like, grapes are a fruit, Dempsey wear number 8, or Jurgen is German. I think getting Altidore back will help MB, maybe I am wrong, I just know how well he was playing the games right before Brazil.
Bradley has lost a lot of passes for the position he plays. He has done it in all three games that I watched. Just hope he plays better against Belgium.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Count me as one of those that doesn't think they were playing to lose - they were just an exhausted team that just didn't have much left to give at this point. Considering...

1. Germany is a clear favorite to win this Cup anyway
2. Germany had one more day of rest than we did
3, US played their previous game in a rainforest (I think I read somewhere that prior to today no team that played in Manaus won their following game, at least until Portugal changed that today)
4. In spite of all that, we still only lost 1-0

I think with several days rest upcoming we have a chance to make a lot of noise in the knockout rounds. Belgium and Argentina just don't scare me.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Bradley has struggles since losing Altidore, I think getting Jozy back will help him settle down.

You most likely know more about soccer than I do. But not sure why having Altidor on the pitch would help him control a ball on his first touch. At least three times today the US lost good opportunities cause Bradley couldn't hold the ball on his foot, and it wasn't like these were difficult balls like at the end of the Portugal game. They were just normal passes.

I believe Bradley is one of the best players on this team, but he hasn't played like it. Maybe Altidor helps, maybe an *** chewing helps, maybe everyone on the team should kick balls at him till he can handle it on his first touch, I don't know I just know that three games into the World Cup everytime I see an important pass played towards him, I am holding my breath, cause it is better than 50/50 the other team is going the other way with it right now.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
You most likely know more about soccer than I do. But not sure why having Altidor on the pitch would help him control a ball on his first touch. At least three times today the US lost good opportunities cause Bradley couldn't hold the ball on his foot, and it wasn't like these were difficult balls like at the end of the Portugal game. They were just normal passes.

I believe Bradley is one of the best players on this team, but he hasn't played like it. Maybe Altidor helps, maybe an *** chewing helps, maybe everyone on the team should kick balls at him till he can handle it on his first touch, I don't know I just know that three games into the World Cup everytime I see an important pass played towards him, I am holding my breath, cause it is better than 50/50 the other team is going the other way with it right now.

I think the difference is Altidore is the typical big target for passes from the defenders or defensive midfielders. It's his job to knock the ball down and get it to Bradley or Dempsey to then lead the offensive break. Now Bradley and Dempsey have to both be the target for down the field passes and then turn to create offense and its a big load for them to carry. That all said, I've been disappointed in Bradley too and don't think it's all been just about missing Altidore.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Count me as one of those that doesn't think they were playing to lose - they were just an exhausted team that just didn't have much left to give at this point. Considering...

1. Germany is a clear favorite to win this Cup anyway
2. Germany had one more day of rest than we did
3, US played their previous game in a rainforest (I think I read somewhere that prior to today no team that played in Manaus won their following game, at least until Portugal changed that today)
4. In spite of all that, we still only lost 1-0

I think with several days rest upcoming we have a chance to make a lot of noise in the knockout rounds. Belgium and Argentina just don't scare me.
You could also add the poor playing conditions as well. Playing in the rain and on a rain soaked pitch isn't the ideal situation either.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
oh, Germany v France in the quarters would be a great game. Both of them look really dangerous so far.

The semis would seem to line up for Netherlands-Brazil and Argentina-Germany/France, barring any upsets.
There is potential for a USA-Mexico Semifinal as well. Not very likely but if it happened there would be a huge audience for that game.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
For someone who just started watching soccer when USA played Ghana in this World Cup, can anyone break down how the USA matches up vs. Belgium?

Pretty well actually. We are bigger than Belgium at about every position, but their speed is concerning. Dries Mertens is a lightning bolt and I think we will struggle to contain him. Fellaini is their other main weapon up front and can score with ease. I think if we play physical and keep them out of open spaces we should have a chance. I'm just hoping we can match their speed. Gonzales better stay in because he is much quicker than Cameron.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
A lot of guys are resting for Belgium this match, and they just got a red card. If Algeria could tie it up, this could get real interesting.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Pretty well actually. We are bigger than Belgium at about every position, but their speed is concerning. Dries Mertens is a lightning bolt and I think we will struggle to contain him. Fellaini is their other main weapon up front and can score with ease. I think if we play physical and keep them out of open spaces we should have a chance. I'm just hoping we can match their speed. Gonzales better stay in because he is much quicker than Cameron.

Any thoughts on DeAndre Yeldin starting to help defend against their speed then? I love that kid in the little I've seen

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
For someone who just started watching soccer when USA played Ghana in this World Cup, can anyone break down how the USA matches up vs. Belgium?

Belgium has a ton of size and strength, and they like to control the ball. Basically, they want to wear the opposing team out. They do have some speed on the outside, but I don't think they are risk taking team. That said, I do think they are vulnerable to counters, if they lose possession. From a set piece perspective, they are a lot like us, in that it is a strength of theirs.

I think we have more, overall, team speed, but the thing that concerns me about the match up is our ability to defend crosses. Every time a pass comes from the edge to the middle, I am uncomfortable. We really struggled defending that against both Ghana and Portugal (I didn't see the Germany game, but I imagine it was the same?), and Belgium just has enormous targets.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Really? I don't think we are bigger than them at all. They have a few guys who look like monsters out there.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Belgium has a ton of size and strength, and they like to control the ball. Basically, they want to wear the opposing team out. They do have some speed on the outside, but I don't think they are risk taking team. That said, I do think they are vulnerable to counters, if they lose possession. From a set piece perspective, they are a lot like us, in that it is a strength of theirs.

I think we have more, overall, team speed, but the thing that concerns me about the match up is our ability to defend crosses. Every time a pass comes from the edge to the middle, I am uncomfortable. We really struggled defending that against both Ghana and Portugal (I didn't see the Germany game, but I imagine it was the same?), and Belgium just has enormous targets.

You think we have more overall team speed than Belgium? I don't agree with that. I agree with you completely on defending crosses, that is the area that concerns me the most.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam

belgium also plays 4 centerbacks like germany does, with vertonghen and vermaelen playing at the fullback spots if fabian, deandre, and demarcus can get up and down the wings we could find some joy, especially if altidore is back and able to be a target man in the box, deuce and bradley could have some good looks off of runs down the wings and pass into the middle as well.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Really? I don't think we are bigger than them at all. They have a few guys who look like monsters out there.

I guess I was talking more about their forwards. Mirallas is 5'10 and Mertens is 5'5. They do have some big defenders in Van Buyten (6'6") and Kompany(6'4"), but we do as well, Gonzales is 6'5", Cameron 6'3". I think we are bigger just about everywhere.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Overall team speed, yes. They do have, most likely, the 2 fastest players on the field though.

Ok I could probably get on board with that. Ultimately their forwards really scare me and I agree it is going to be tough scoring on our patented set plays as they have some tall defenders to mix up with our big guys.