WHO-TV's Sonya Heitshusen & Eric Wheater arrested for OWI

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I'm curious if one or more of the higher-ups at WHO (GM and/or news director) aren't on vacation. I'm sure they leave instructions/guidelines for several different scenarios while they're away, but not "This is what you do when two of your reporters/anchors get arrested for OWI in the same weekend."

My opinion: WHO doesn't have to report on its own dirty laundry ON-AIR...at least for these two specific situations. IF there had been an accident caused by them, then I believe WHO has the responsibility to report it. What I think needs to happen, though, is that they need to get out a press release or statement at least acknowledging what happened, and outlining what possible steps are being taken concerning discipline.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I didn't see this in today's DM Rag printed edition in DM.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I saw Sonya Saturday morning at Pints during the Farmer's Market enjoying a few mimosas with some friends. They mentioned they were celebrating a birthday. This was at 10:00am right before it started raining.

Really? I was there sucking down a bloody Mary, but I wouldn't have recognized her anyway. Did you see me??

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's news as much as athlete's getting OWI's. They are public figures too.

I don't know that I think they have to cover it on WHO, but I don't blame the Register or WOI for covering it. I also find it crazy that she was working yesterday.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm torn on this. They would have ran it up the flagpole if it was a politician or college athlete or someone of that nature.

But TV reporter =/= to those things. Right? :twitcy:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's news as much as athlete's getting OWI's. They are public figures too.

I don't know that I think they have to cover it on WHO, but I don't blame the Register or WOI for covering it. I also find it crazy that she was working yesterday.

regarding the bolded,my question is Why do you find it crazy she was working?

If I got an DUI/OWI tonight I would be working tomorrow. I have known many people to get these and they all went back to work.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm torn on this. They would have ran it up the flagpole if it was a politician or college athlete or someone of that nature.

But TV reporter =/= to those things. Right? :twitcy:

A public figure is a public figure. If it was the CEO of Principal they certainly would have reported it as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

If I got an DUI/OWI tonight I would be working tomorrow. I have known many people to get these and they all went back to work.

Only if you could get before a judge to make bail. I know people who had to stew in jail for quite a few hours because they couldn't get before a judge.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm curious if one or more of the higher-ups at WHO (GM and/or news director) aren't on vacation. I'm sure they leave instructions/guidelines for several different scenarios while they're away, but not "This is what you do when two of your reporters/anchors get arrested for OWI in the same weekend."

My opinion: WHO doesn't have to report on its own dirty laundry ON-AIR...at least for these two specific situations. IF there had been an accident caused by them, then I believe WHO has the responsibility to report it. What I think needs to happen, though, is that they need to get out a press release or statement at least acknowledging what happened, and outlining what possible steps are being taken concerning discipline.

Where are they vacationing, the moon? Everyone is accessible nowadays, I would think especially the "higher-ups" of any company.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

REally? I've had two jobs out of college. At both, I would have been suspended for an OWI.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So are we allowed to comment on the mug shot of a public figure or will those comments be removed?

Commenting on the story / controversy (to cover, not to cover, etc.) is fine. Just being rude and calling people ugly (or whatever) and getting personal is uncalled for IMO. That is all.

Other deletes were about the false information regarding the TV anchor in Fort Dodge being the subject's sister, which was not true.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

That's a weak OWI then, brah. .30 or go to the women's cell.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
REally? I've had two jobs out of college. At both, I would have been suspended for an OWI.

yeah really. I have had numerous co-workers and bosses that had they and there were no reprocusions at work.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Commenting on the story / controversy (to cover, not to cover, etc.) is fine. Just being rude and calling people ugly (or whatever) and getting personal is uncalled for IMO. That is all.

Other deletes were about the false information regarding the TV anchor in Fort Dodge being the subject's sister, which was not true.

Can we compliment the make up department at WHO without additional comment? I'm trying to find the line here. Some fairly controversy free posts have been removed lately