WHO-TV's Sonya Heitshusen & Eric Wheater arrested for OWI

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
yeah really. I have had numerous co-workers and bosses that had they and there were no reprocusions at work.

Interesting. I'm just surprised she wasn't benched for a week.

I must run in boring circles b/c I can't say I know more than 2 people who have gotten OWI's.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
yeah really. I have had numerous co-workers and bosses that had they and there were no reprocusions at work.

I assume your work doesn't really care about the PR behind you getting an OWI. I assume WHO-TV wants to present and maintain itself in the highest regard. And putting an anchor on 2 days after she got an OWI doesn't really scream "there will be consequences for putting the reputation of yourself and WHO-TV at risk".

Similar to ISU "suspending" Nader after his OWI. It publicly shows you don't stand for your employees putting people's lives at risk by drinking and driving. Then they come back a few days or a week later and all is good.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Commenting on the story / controversy (to cover, not to cover, etc.) is fine. Just being rude and calling people ugly (or whatever) and getting personal is uncalled for IMO. That is all.

My thoughts exactly. It's like we get it, she doesn't have the most attractive mug shot...who does in that situation???

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I don't see it as a big deal. Hundreds of people get arrested for DUI/OWI everyday/night and they don't report each of them. They made a mistake move on and learn. I can't believe some people actually think they should get fired, I have worked with numerous coworkers and bosses that have had DUI/OWI's and nothing ever happened to them.

You can still sell cars if you get like four of them and still be on the commercials. Someone help me with the name.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Watching the news one night about 2 years ago with a friend of mine...

Him- "I think I graduated with that lady. It looks just like her."
Me- "Really, what was her name?"
Him- "Sonya Heitshusen."
Me- "No, what was the name of the girl you went to school with?"
Him- "Sonya Heitshusen."
Me- "Here's your sign."

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Watching the news one night about 2 years ago with a friend of mine...

Him- "I think I graduated with that lady. It looks just like her."
Me- "Really, what was her name?"
Him- "Sonya Heitshusen."
Me- "No, what was the name of the girl you went to school with?"
Him- "Sonya Heitshusen."
Me- "Here's your sign."

Probably a different Sonya Heitshusen.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So I'm curious...if she was on the news last night, was it live, or was it a recorded package?

If live, then I'm going to say WHO dropped the ball.
Pre-recorded package...especially if it's a significant length...it would be a bit tough to find a way to fill that in less than appox 12 hours.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Murph and Andy got mad haha.

Really? I can understand because that is their friend and coworker who is obviously going through a rough time.

But at the same time, I have a hard time understanding the difference between talking about athletes who get into trouble and other public figures that get into trouble.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Evidently that "Sports and More" show is conveniently "sports-only" today.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Really? I can understand because that is their friend and coworker who is obviously going through a rough time.

But at the same time, I have a hard time understanding the difference between talking about athletes who get into trouble and other public figures that get into trouble.

That's what the caller said, then Andy hung up on the guy and proceeded to call HIM a coward. Murph tried to say, "what does it have to do with sports?". The caller said that Sonya had been on the show before.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Would you want to talk about your friend getting a OWI on your radio show? Most probably wouldn't. Can't blame them for feeling the same.

Plus that guy was kind of a jerk how he brought it up.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They are all friends, so I understand what they are doing. Doesn't mean it's not hypocritical.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
That's what the caller said, then Andy hung up on the guy and proceeded to call HIM a coward. Murph tried to say, "what does it have to do with sports?". The caller said that Sonya had been on the show before.

What does it have to do with sports? Good grief. Hey Tana? That stoopid abomination of a segment ring any bells there, Murph?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I will say, WHO would be wise to take 5 seconds to give it a blurb. Some public shaming like that would be a good deterent.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
They are all friends, so I understand what they are doing. Doesn't mean it's not hypocritical.

Yep.

Here's the thing...what if 5 years ago the Godfather (Walters) would have had this happen when he was at Channel 5. Granted, sports tie in as the voice of the clones, but I bet they cover it. but would they do it if one of the other anchors of the other channels had this happen? Maybe not...but if two in a couple days? Probably.

Makes you wonder the "office politics" of it all, too. Did they get a "meet at the water cooler" meeting to have a "no comment" order or a "watch yourselves in public" talk?

I think something like this could have been an opportunity for their station to educate others (meaning, maybe suspend them, do a story on safe alternatives in downtown Des Moines, etc)....but I certainly do see the privilege they have......when others see their mugs flashed up on the screen (usually very unflattering).