BBQ Pitmasters (Ponderosa BBQ)

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Over the Memorial Weekend a few weeks ago I stumbled across a channel on Directv- Destination America (286). They had a show on there called BBQ Pitmasters- I have been hooked on that show ever since. Its a cooking competition show where 3 pitmasters cook stuff on their pit and the best of the 3 move on to the next round.

There is a guy on that show that is a judge this season, Moe Cason, and he owns and runs Ponderosa Barbecue out of Des Moines. Until this show, I have never heard of it before. Share if you have heard of, or have had his bbq before. He is one big man!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Ya I remember the original episode he was on. He lost, but was entertaining. IIRC he only did catering jobs in Des Moines, not an actual restaurant.

That show has changed formats a few times as well. Now it's 3 cooks going head to head, but it used to be a season long tournament. Smokey D's won one of the early seasons.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Depends on what you get. I prefer Jethro's brisket sandwich. Ton of tender meat compared to SD's which is sliced too thick and can be a little tough.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
I eat Jethro's every now and then...Not that impressed with it, but it can be good drunk food. I usually get brisket. Don't eat pork....But to be quite honest the best Brisket sandwich I've had is from Back Alley SmokeHouse, A little smoke house joint in Carlisle.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Unpopular opinion of mine. Jethros sucks and smokey d's blows it out of the water

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is less than impressed with Jethros. I've eaten there twice. Had ribs once and brisket the other time. Both were tough.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Unpopular opinion of mine. Jethros sucks and smokey d's blows it out of the water

I think most people that have eaten at the two would admit that Smokey D's is better. With that said, I wouldn't say Jethros sucks.

It's kind of like comparing Jack Stack to Oklahoma Joe's.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Never had Smokey D's but I don't doubt it is better. Jethros has a much bigger product offering though from the sounds of it which is a plus to me.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I eat Jethro's every now and then...Not that impressed with it, but it can be good drunk food. I usually get brisket. Don't eat pork....But to be quite honest the best Brisket sandwich I've had is from Back Alley SmokeHouse, A little smoke house joint in Carlisle.
I've tried Jethro's twice after hearing people rave about them on this board.
The two times I thought it was pretty good but It makes me think that if John Taffer started a BBQ place this would be it.
I have stopped at Smoky D's a few times. So far I can't complain. One thing though, if you feel you have to warn people that you put horseradish in your potato salad then just stop doing it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'll agree that Jethro's meat is not their best offering. It's good, but nothing great. Where they shine is with their wings, as has been mentioned, and their sides. Their sides beat most other places easily.

And I'll also agree on their breakfast. It's fantastic, plentiful, and relatively cheap. Definitely worth a try.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I had Smoky D's for the first time at a grad party last week and it was deeeelicious.

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
Big Mo from ponderosa BBQ was set up last weekend in des moines at collectimania. It was pretty good. I had brisket sandwhich, two sides, and a soda for $9.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah as far as taste, Smokey D's is much much better. If I'm choosing between thew two places to watch a game, I pick Jethros every time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron